The Quarterback Situation

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
It sure did - for the Auburn Tigers. They won the friggin' national championship.

Is that what is hanging in your house we saw on those videos?:dance:
:inout: j/k

It worked with Leak and Tebow and can it work again?

:facepalm:. Here is why that worked. They were player's with different skill sets. You weren't asking Tebow to read defenses and pass. Legitimately Tebow's TD passes in big games in '06 were designed with a single read. You also were about to have Leak take a shotgun snap and plow into the line on 4th and 1. In this case, both players have the same dual threat skills. From our limited viewing, AR15 is superior to EJ in running and passing. We aren't 100% sure on reading the field (though better read option decision making), but we do know that EJ struggles with it at times. If both guys have the same skill sets, but one is about equal, but with a higher ceiling. You should do that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most importantly it wont work bc we didnt ask Tebow to sit on the bench for 3 years.

After year 3, AR is going pro and will be one of the top 5 picks.

if you think he's sitting on the bench for the first 3 years and hoping for his first start in year 4, youre crazy.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The real challenge will be getting him enough plays to make an impact while not over shadowing EJ. It worked with Leak and Tebow and can it work again?
BaggyWhichBandicoot-max-1mb.gif

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-19_18-41-36.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-19_18-41-36.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 32

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly the best thing right now is just to play them both, assuming they are healthy. If and when one shows that he is definitely a better option than the other then just make the call. AR has been awesome to watch, but his sample size thus far is pretty small. If what he has done in the first two games on his limited snaps translates into consistently big plays then its Mullens duty to make him the starter. EJ can either stay here and deal with it if that happens (he'll probably still play quite a few snaps anyway) or he can do like Jalen Hurts or Justin Fields or Joe Burrow or a bunch of other guys and go play somewhere else.

I gotta say that would be a part of being the head coach at a big college program that I wouldn't envy. Even though its just a diversion and entertainment for us fans, it's life-changing stuff for these young men.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Transferring is not the kiss of death. Cam Newton, Eric Kresser, Jacoby Brissett, Tyler Murphy, Jeff Driscoll, Will Grier and even Felipe Franks just to name a few all left this place, played college ball elsewhere, and made it to the NFL at least in some capacity.

The important thing is the make the sure the better guy stays here and the other guy is the one that transfers. Whoever that is will be fine.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Except you're wrong. Cam left because of Cam. What happened after that had nothing to do with us. I was referring to last year.
he didnt know the playbook.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
See...that explains stealing the laptop. He thought the playbook was on it.
He was just trying to get better
It just makes me laugh out loud that people act like the regime that kept AH after he was the suspect in a shooting in HS then shot two people in his first week in Gainesville couldn't possibly overlook a "stolen" laptop (not actually stolen since it was given/loaned to him and is at worst a civil matter).

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It just makes me laugh out loud that people act like the regime that kept AH after he was the suspect in a shooting in HS then shot two people in his first week in Gainesville couldn't possibly overlook a "stolen" laptop (not actually stolen since it was given/loaned to him and is at worst a civil matter).
AH was a good kid man. He was going to college.
He ain't never do nuffin

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

It makes me laugh when you keep acting like Cam left because coaches weren't playing him. Its like you are saying you think they should have sat Tebow and played Cam in the #2 behind Leak. It also makes me laugh that you keep acting as if he was going to get kicked out because of the laptop when it was the cheating he got caught doing and the summons to appear in front of the honor board and most likely kicked out. So he left.

Report: Newton was caught cheating at Florida

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
It makes me laugh when you keep acting like Cam left because coaches weren't playing him. Its like you are saying you think they should have sat Tebow and played Cam in the #2 behind Leak.

I mean overall I see the point. Just in case, Leak and Cam were never on campus together and in ‘08, Cam was the #3 behind Brantley. Yes, the coaches put Brantley ahead of Cam…if only we knew who some of those guys were.

But yes, there were several other things like the computer and other university issues beyond football that lead to Cam’s departure.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Most importantly it wont work bc we didnt ask Tebow to sit on the bench for 3 years.

After year 3, AR is going pro and will be one of the top 5 picks.

if you think he's sitting on the bench for the first 3 years and hoping for his first start in year 4, youre crazy.
I really don't understand anyone who does not see it this way. I'm sick of everyone thinking you have to be a Jr or sit for 3 years before you can be ready.

Isn't Mullen supposed to be a whisperer? Why is it that the "whisperer" can't have a Qb ready in year 2 but Riley, Saban, Day, Dabo can have Qb winning Heisman candidates and winning in year 2.

Mullen needs to earn his money and make tough decisions that I they eyes of everyone on the planet but him is not tough.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
But yes, there were several other things like the computer and other university issues beyond football that lead to Cam’s departure.

Several other things? He got caught cheating 3 times on top of him stealing the laptop. He ran out of town so he wouldn't get kicked out. It isn't OTHER things, it is why he left. And he was behind Brantley because he was hurt in 2008 (foot if I remember correctly?).

Report: Newton faced possible expulsion upon leaving Florida - National Football Post

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
This QB situation is more simple and clear than it was with Franks vs Trask because the difference in pure talent level is much easier to see. Both QBs should be played to make it more difficult for defenses, but the EJ to AR lead should be swapped soon. I just hope Mullen can put on his thinking cap and see what everyone else does without locking us into having to see EJ take the majority of snaps in any game (except blowouts). Judging from past performance, I wouldn't put money on it. He's already doing the same thing now as he did then.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Suppose Cam Newton didn’t toss the laptop. Suppose he hadn’t transferred. Suppose you could enter a time bubble. Would you ask him to sit behind John Brantley and wait for 2011?

According to Cam, getting in trouble & his sojourn at JuCo flipped the switch for him. He wasn’t yet the player he became later. At the time he seemed like another Josh Portis.

Not arguing your larger point, though. AR is way better than Cam was at this point of his career. He’s special. I can see not sacrificing the rest of the season for one game, assuming the hamstring is an issue, but Mullen really needs to give AR much more PT as things progress. And maybe AR does look more unready and human along the way. But the only way to get him experience is to get him experience.

Coaches tend to be very risk-adverse. They (rightly) see mistakes as the cause of most losses. But with AR the upside looks so promising it’s worth the risk. Danny had bad days, which were part of making him great. If Mullen is going to break through his ceiling of “good” to win championships, he needs to take that risk. So let Emory be Terry Dean, and maybe provide key wins up the road, but you’ve got to get AR his shots.

As I’ve alluded earlier, Emory is like Wayne Williams, a solid SEC calibre player, but Emmitt is on the team and has to play.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I think you’re right on all counts. Here’s my question. How long do you tether the situation? Say the snap differential is 90/10 or 85/15 now. How far does the snap count need to swing in AR’s favor before you flip the switch?

If Mullen will use it, the schedule sets up nicely for this. Ut at home, Ky on the road to get hostile environment experience, Vandy at home. Plan well and each should be a win and there’s plenary of opportunity to expand AR’s role. Then at LSU for a max-hostility game, then 2 weeks to prep for UGA. If he plays well it tips and/or if Emory continues making bad reads and late/bad throws it tips more quickly. If AR falters, Emory enables us to win games while AR learns.

It’s not Leak-Tebow because Emory isn’t a 4th year starter and Tebow was a freshman. Maybe more like Dean-Danny for now?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Is that what is hanging in your house we saw on those videos?:dance:
:inout: j/k

:facepalm:. Here is why that worked. They were player's with different skill sets. You weren't asking Tebow to read defenses and pass. Legitimately Tebow's TD passes in big games in '06 were designed with a single read. You also were about to have Leak take a shotgun snap and plow into the line on 4th and 1. In this case, both players have the same dual threat skills. From our limited viewing, AR15 is superior to EJ in running and passing. We aren't 100% sure on reading the field (though better read option decision making), but we do know that EJ struggles with it at times. If both guys have the same skill sets, but one is about equal, but with a higher ceiling. You should do that.

If early examples prove true, EJ & AR won’t have the same field to read. AR will put so much pressure on a defense, he will create passing lanes and windows EJ won’t ever see.

He’s like Lamar Jackson, only thicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator