The Savage Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

I sure hope he is very knowledgable on that stuff. I am a hack endurance athlete and I know a lot about it enough to monitor my own progress. Not sure why you are zeroing in on HRV when that isn't what I would suspect a football player's workout regimen to be founded on. I would think that each player has a unique workout program based off the position they play. While Franks, EJ and JJ are all QBs with the same program, they will differe because Franks, EJ and JJ are different people with different capabilities.

And yes ... I sure hope Savage has to the time to customize workouts to the individual. He sure is getting paid a lot of money to do it. I don't think he is focused in on all 85 players, he should understand where all 85 players are at, where they have been and how they are performing. Good lord, its 2019 and there is so much tech out there it is easy to track this crap. I do my own on TrainingPeaks and it is easy. I have had coaches that have 40+ athletes. It really isnt that hard and I am sure he has assistants helping.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

No offense taken. I am one athlete. One pitiful horrible athlete who's only really talent in the athletic world is that I can suffer better than most. So that make me an endurance athlete. I dont profess to be an expert, but I have learned enough that I am very confident that our staff is already doing this. That is my point. You are trying to make a job offer that aTm has currently shiny and new looking when I am very certain it isn't. Well, maybe to the likes of Butters but not to the likes of real coaching staffs. I am sure we are already doing it. That is my point.

HALO ... lol ... that thing is garbage and is stupid. You sound like a Chip Kelly nerd. HRV is a VERY individualistic thing. You can get a good idea with what is going with someone using it but it really can also lead you into a blackhole of analysis paralysis. In a sport that is geared around 4-7 second bursts of power, HRV isn't really going to give you any edge. Maybe if you want them to run long distances then HRV would be very helpful.

Really? I laugh at that because you actually think that is worth doing. You think they are worried too much about a lot of the players beyond 2 deep? No ... they are putting them through programs to build them relevant power and speed appropriate for their position. Furthermore, you can't take a lot of the knowledge away from the individual and pawn it off on hired nerds. When it comes down to athletics in the weight room, track and where ever else they are conditioning ... it comes down to how much the player wants it. Its on them to understand what they are doing and how they are getting there. It is on the staff to monitor and help them adjust. Savage is a motivator. He and his team are very knowledgeable motivators whoo understand how to get a player from where they are at to where they can realistically get through benchmarking and counseling.

Sigh. Do you actually think Savage is a one man team and doesn't have a staff assisting? Do you actually think they dont have nutritionists monitoring the players and medical/physiological nerds monitoring? Come on man. This is my point. You are inferring that we are lacking here when results and the obvious says otherwise.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I have heard the players know where to get deer antler velvet now -and didn't hear it from any coaches of course. Is that the case?

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Well that is exactly what I’m saying. Get back to me by the 4th quarter in Orlando. I’m predicting an FSU level beating that they do rightfully deserve. From their president guaranteeing victory to their transfer WR having a post showing him leaving CJ Henderson in the dust..yeah they deserve the beating they are going to get. First game with a 1st time HC vs Dan Mullen. I’m expecting to out physical them. I dislike the Ewe immensely since I married a scum fan so excuse me if I don’t give Miami any kind of credit or respect. Piss on them!

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Dude ... you are making something into more than it isn't. I am sure we are doing it because we have a S&C program. Are you saying we don't and that Savage is a one man operation who is just yelling cliches at people? I think you seem to be arguing a point that because we aren't engaging the fringe-science approaches like HRV it means we don't have a quality S&C program.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
@ltraz - the one thing you said a few posts back is that Savage goes to other S&C programs to see what they are doing....well, isn't he seeing what you're talking about? (monitoring staff?). After what happened at Maryland last year, I'm sure most schools have beefed up their monitoring. Now, how they monitor probably differs based on size of the program and money. I'm sure UF is doing the right thing. Savage also has about a half-dozen "assistant S&C" coaches plus interns. In fact, it's probably overkill.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

<This entry=fact>I have plenty of experience in what we are talking about. I have been in a reoccurring cyclic professional process for the better part of 30 years that require the most effective ways to train in an evolving environment because the consequences matters more than just W and Ls. Training requires a holistic understanding of the purpose that is defined by all the necessary benchmarks (subtasks) needed as a foundation before you get focused on improving the sub tasks (benchmarks) involved. The discussion about fringe-science techniques to enhance training like HRV could strongly be argued against due to easily becoming a training distraction. Furthermore, your quick dismissal of the individual's input to be the lead source as well as most trusted source of training data tells me you have a lot to learn about the holistic understanding of effective training.

What I will not deny is you have a closer view into a subtask of the training facilities but lets not act like touring facilities and actually doing the work in those facilities are the same. Are you touring just the football facilities or all the facilities? Are you part of their planning process in some capacity? Are you sitting in on their meetings and counseling sessions and have purview into the level of data they are using and how much it drives their processes? If you truly think keeping an asset focused on how everyone's individually relevant measurement of a players time variability between heartbeats should be the driving force in the day to day operations in the offseason training process that Coach Savage is conducting to become an elite program ... then you have no depth.</entry>

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Itraz ... I think you whiffed on every single one of my points. You didn't even get it. I am not going to play your cut and paste game. Try reading what I wrote over ... but slower. And I don't mean that in a negative way to you, I am wordy and have a hard time cutting the fluff out.

What kind of monitor are they wearing to collect the depth of heart rate data needed to baseline and track HRV?

Explain the process for me. I believe it has to be a chest strap because everyone knows the arm and wrist monitors aren't trustworthy, nor do I believe they can accurately get the precise data to make good measurements as to the timing in between certain parts of the heartbeat. I am assuming you understand what I am asking and saying there since you an expert at this.

Is it a correct assumption that this data would definitely need to be captured continuously to have an accurate baseline?

Does the HRV data, once baselined and being used as a driving force for a players development, serve as a primary fact that individual training plans are adjusted? If so ... to what extent? Or ... does it only really serve as secondary data to review if something isn't working right and an audit is needed to make sure stuff is making sense. I kinda am betting that it is nothing more than a flag raising piece of data that lets the staff know that something isn't right with you.

Your talking about much they've been drinking and I am talking about how much iron gets added to the bar or if its time to recover a bit. You really lost me there with that one ... are you talking about using HRV to see if they living right or as a training enhancer.

Training distraction. I aint talking about if the strap is comfortable or not ... geez ... think ... I am talking about I bet actual results are measured in the weight room and training facilities versus a line graph showing how a player's HRV has raised through the process.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is why Miami does not scare me on 8/31 at all. These guys are putting in some serious work. Miami are dancing after “workouts”. We may not out talent some teams but we sure as hell going to outwork them.

Here's Miami's "hype" video of their workouts:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turn the channel boys.

You are boring us.

The worst crime is to bore us.

Status
Not open for further replies.