Things could be MUCH worse for us...

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No one takes winning as poorly as Gatorchatter posters!

LOL :bart:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just ask...Miss State...Notre Dame...Michigan State...Oregon...UCLA...Arizona...who ALL have 5 losses EACH. Those are programs that are typically ALWAYS good and they STINK this year. We think we have it bad with 1 loss that feels like 10 losses to some of you clowns. Go Gators!!
I've been watching CFB for 45 years and I rarely remember any of those teams having great years....Those are "Moon and Stars" type programs. What that means is every so often the Moon and stars align just perfectly and they have what looks like a great year. This is usually caused by keeping a class of players together for 3 or 4 years, lucking into an All World type player every 5-10 years, and is also aided by a schedule that resembles the pastry section in your local bakery...ND basically has cherry picked their way through CFB since the end of WWII. Michigan State??? Yeah, I remember Saban being a 7-5 coach there most of his tenure......Miss State? seriously? Dak is gone and that's the best they'll ever get, 3rd place in their division.:lol2:. Has UCLA ever had a season where they've lost less than 3-4 games and gotten crushed by the Trojans?

I know sometimes it's hard to see past all the fluff of what appears to be a "great" program but the easiest way to spot a Moon and Star program is to look at their performances in big games, major bowl games and championship games, you know stuff that really matters.
Why would UF who has won tons of huge games, conference championships, oodles of 10 win seasons, bowl games and even NC's EVER want to compare themselves to or use those that haven't as a measuring stick or a way to feel better about themselves? Can we stop trying to lower the bar around here....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You must have only followed college football for two years if you think Miss State has always been good. They are a bottom feeder that is on their way back to normal

Against UMASS it's embarrassing, but even some of our best teams have trouble with Vandy. We are Vandy's Super Bowl.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just ask...Miss State...Notre Dame...Michigan State...Oregon...UCLA...Arizona...who ALL have 5 losses EACH. Those are programs that are typically ALWAYS good and they STINK this year. We think we have it bad with 1 loss that feels like 10 losses to some of you clowns. Go Gators!!

I get what your trying to say, but your examples are horrible. You list a bunch of programs that have been more miss than hit the last 30 years, and say that they are typically always good.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've been watching CFB for 45 years and I rarely remember any of those teams having great years....Those are "Moon and Stars" type programs. What that means is every so often the Moon and stars align just perfectly and they have what looks like a great year. This is usually caused by keeping a class of players together for 3 or 4 years, lucking into an All World type player every 5-10 years, and is also aided by a schedule that resembles the pastry section in your local bakery...ND basically has cherry picked their way through CFB since the end of WWII. Michigan State??? Yeah, I remember Saban being a 7-5 coach there most of his tenure......Miss State? seriously? Dak is gone and that's the best they'll ever get, 3rd place in their division.:lol2:. Has UCLA ever had a season where they've lost less than 3-4 games and gotten crushed by the Trojans?

I know sometimes it's hard to see past all the fluff of what appears to be a "great" program but the easiest way to spot a Moon and Star program is to look at their performances in big games, major bowl games and championship games, you know stuff that really matters.
Why would UF who has won tons of huge games, conference championships, oodles of 10 win seasons, bowl games and even NC's EVER want to compare themselves to or use those that haven't as a measuring stick or a way to feel better about themselves? Can we stop trying to lower the bar around here....

Dude, nobody is trying to lower the bar. It's called being realistic. UF isn't the same UF of the glory days, and hasn't been for 8 years. We are rebuilding thanks to our previous two coaches who gave up on us and quit trying to recruit, or at least we're trying to...

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016

When have Miss State and Arizona ALWAYS been good?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dude, nobody is trying to lower the bar
Nav, I'm generally pretty positive about UF football. I loved the days of CFB before the playoffs because even when UF didn't win a NC I felt like we could throw our name into any conversation about top CFB teams and rarely would anyone try and dispute us being at or near the top. Even rival fans and fans from different conferences generally acknowledged we were a top rank program that could ruin your day anytime you took the field against us.......Now we're comparing woes with the likes of Arizona and Miss State?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nav, I'm generally pretty positive about UF football. I loved the days of CFB before the playoffs because even when UF didn't win a NC I felt like we could throw our name into any conversation about top CFB teams and rarely would anyone try and dispute us being at or near the top. Even rival fans and fans from different conferences generally acknowledged we were a top rank program that could ruin your day anytime you took the field against us.......Come we're comparing woes with the likes of Arizona and Miss State?

UF is simply not the same as the UF of the 90s and early 2000s. I know it's hard to face. I know it sucks, but it's a fact. The sooner people get that through their heads, the sooner they'll be able to accept the fact that it's going to take time to rebuild this thing. I'm not saying Mac is the guy to get it done, but I'm also not saying he isn't. I think it's just too early to make that call yet based on how bad things have been. Mac had a hell of a hill to climb when he got here based on lack of depth on the roster at every position but DB.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
UF is simply not the same as the UF of the 90s and early 2000s. I know it's hard to face. I know it sucks, but it's a fact. The sooner people get that through their heads, the sooner they'll be able to accept the fact that it's going to take time to rebuild this thing. I'm not saying Mac is the guy to get it done, but I'm also not saying he isn't. I think it's just too early to make that call yet based on how bad things have been. Mac had a hell of a hill to climb when he got here based on lack of depth on the roster at every position but DB.

Hey! We were pretty good until the last game of 2009.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I appreciate your optimism. I really do. But damn... LESS than 300 yards of offense against UMass and Vandy. :headslap:

From the OP - "Things could be MUCH worse for us..." we could be sub 200 yds offense against them.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what you're talking about with Umass, Vandy, and Mizzou...

Total Offense:
UF: 256 Umass: 141
UF: 265 Vandy: 236
UF: 523 Mizzou: 363

I appreciate your optimism. I really do. But damn... LESS than 300 yards of offense against UMass and Vandy. :headslap:

From the OP - "Things could be MUCH worse for us..." we could be sub 200 yds offense against them.

images

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you most programs would love to hang out in the top 15 while they figure out their problems. Our run will come again.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, nobody is trying to lower the bar. It's called being realistic. UF isn't the same UF of the glory days, and hasn't been for 8 years. ...

This is a good point. These are the down years. Its all cyclical. Well come back around one of these days

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think what was trying to be conveyed is that most of those programs are considered big name programs that the average CFB fan would associate with being decent if not good over the last 5-10 years. Just so happens that they all suck this year. So, yes things could be so much worse than they are here at Uf where we are 5-1 and ranked 15th in the AP poll. Could that change as early as this weekend? Absolutely. Do I think it will change this weekend ? Absolutely NOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator