Things could be MUCH worse for us...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Technically the first game of 2010 was the Sugar Bowl with Tebow.
No, Mushcramp, it is not. Technically all the bowls are part of the previous season. If they werent part of the 2009 Tebow and several others wouldnt have been eligible. You still trying to claim being 12-1 in 2012 Mr. Bowls (Losses) Dont Count?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That Sugar Bowl wasn't even fair. Tebow's last game, Urban was about to go on "hiatus," and Brian Kelly had dropped Cincy like a bad habit with no warning about two weeks before the game. They were the 3rd world Caribbean country and we were the 8.9 earthquake.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Dude, nobody is trying to lower the bar. It's called being realistic. UF isn't the same UF of the glory days, and hasn't been for 8 years. We are rebuilding thanks to our previous two coaches who gave up on us and quit trying to recruit, or at least we're trying to...

In 1987, 1988 and 1989 UF went 6-6, 7-5, and 7-5 respectively. UF hired the right guy and started the greatest period in UF history in 1990.

In 1996, 1997 and 1998 OU went 3-8, 4-8 and 5-6 respectively. OU hired the right guy and was 7-5 in 1999 and 13-0 and won the national title in 2000.

In 2012, 2013 and 2014 Michigan went 8-5, 7-6 and 5-7 respectively. Michigan seemingly hired the right guy and went 10-3 in 2015 and is 7-0 so far this year.

Rebuilding does not necessarily need to be a multiple year tear down the program and rebuild it. When you get a good coach who is a good fit with your program, ie the right coach, a powerful program like UF that ALWAYS has talent on its roster can start winning again immediately. And you generally will know if you have the right guy pretty quickly. I am still in the camp that the jury is out on McElwain, but it will not take 5 or 6 years to figure out if he is the right guy for this program.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No, Mushcramp, it is not. Technically all the bowls are part of the previous season. If they werent part of the 2009 Tebow and several others wouldnt have been eligible. You still trying to claim being 12-1 in 2012 Mr. Bowls (Losses) Dont Count?

Law, you must have me confused and that game confused with someone else's argument, or the statement went over your head. I have said for a while now BCS and playoff games matter. The whatsamatter u bowls do not. Muschamp went 12-2 in 2012, he lost a very visible Sugar Bowl.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Getting azzraped by Meatchicken sure as hell did matter and it caused immediate ripples in recruiting at key positions (ie inside linebackers and OL) that will set us back for years to come.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Getting azzraped by Meatchicken sure as hell did matter and it caused immediate ripples in recruiting at key positions (ie inside linebackers and OL) that will set us back for years to come.

So it was the bowl loss in the whatsamater you bowl, not the poor to $hit recruiting our staff has done.... Bowl loses really hurt Zook, Meyer and Muschamp's recruiting... absolutely killed their recruiting classes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So it was the bowl loss in the whatsamater you bowl, not the poor to $hit recruiting our staff has done.... Bowl loses really hurt Zook, Meyer and Muschamp's recruiting... absolutely killed their recruiting classes.
It's true we hired some cheap azz, shytty coordinators and assistant coaches who can't recruit, but it didn't help them at all. As a first year coach, you have that aura of "we are going to be this or that" and it should make it an easier sell. The bullshyt at the end of the year and bowl game just wiped that away, made Butters looks like a guy who was still circling the toilet bowl and it has become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's true we hired some cheap azz, shytty coordinators and assistant coaches who can't recruit, but it didn't help them at all. As a first year coach, you have that aura of "we are going to be this or that" and it should make it an easier sell. The bullshyt at the end of the year and bowl game just wiped that away, made Butters looks like a guy who was still circling the toilet bowl and it has become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I agree the last four games before the bowls was damaging to Recruits. National Televised only game on SEC Championship game, and for Florida recruits FSU/UF as the only game on at least regionally. Those were damaging. The bowl game that was competing for viewers with two other "mid major" bowls on an early New Years Day on January 1st, where kids mostly have their minds made up. BCS/Playoff games are about visibility and showing whom you are, the whatsamatter u bowls are just time fillers on the holiday week.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In 1987, 1988 and 1989 UF went 6-6, 7-5, and 7-5 respectively. UF hired the right guy and started the greatest period in UF history in 1990.

In 1996, 1997 and 1998 OU went 3-8, 4-8 and 5-6 respectively. OU hired the right guy and was 7-5 in 1999 and 13-0 and won the national title in 2000.

In 2012, 2013 and 2014 Michigan went 8-5, 7-6 and 5-7 respectively. Michigan seemingly hired the right guy and went 10-3 in 2015 and is 7-0 so far this year.

Rebuilding does not necessarily need to be a multiple year tear down the program and rebuild it. When you get a good coach who is a good fit with your program, ie the right coach, a powerful program like UF that ALWAYS has talent on its roster can start winning again immediately. And you generally will know if you have the right guy pretty quickly. I am still in the camp that the jury is out on McElwain, but it will not take 5 or 6 years to figure out if he is the right guy for this program.

Those are solid examples of what the right coach can do and how he can have an immediate impact. Still though, I can't help but wonder if any of those guys arrived at their new post to find only 7 offemsive lineman that could suit up for a spring practice.?. That still just blows my mind that is what he was left with...

The failures of the previous regime were compounded by their inability or unwillingness to recruit the most basic and necessary component of the team, the OL...... Despite his costant going on about it being a line of scrimmage league, blah, blah, blah.

I'm not saying Mac is the savior. I still have very mixed emotions about him. And fair or not, after muschamp, I think Macs chain has been shortened by an anxious and frustrated fan base. But before he ever coached his first spring practice we said it was a three year project to fix the offense, based on the OL debacle alone. As I've said, I expect the offense to be much improved next year. But last years failures in defensive recruiting may prove to be his undoing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Where were the talent being amass during those previous years. Florida had a #1 recruiting class a year or two before Spurrier took over. Cooper was known for getting NFL talent on the roster, his problem was his ability to coach in game day situations. Michigan was rebuilding from what RichRod did, having to remake the roster with a pro-style mindset. Do you believe McElwain walked into a situation, anywhere close to as talented and deep as the situations you listed? I don't know if he is the answer, but the situation he walked into was much worse roster wise than the three you listed.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

It does when you inherit 7 OLinemen, and only 2 of them have playing experience. Then end up losing two of those OLinemen to career ending injuries. You understand coaches have an entire roster to manage, right? And they're limited to how many scholarships they can hand out per year? We were damn near 20 scholarship players short of a full roster when Mac got here. YOU CANNOT fix that in 2 years! You people are amazingly dense sometimes...

I agree it won't take 5 years to figure out if Mac is the right guy for the job or not, but he has less than 2 full seasons under his belt and there's a bunch of people already calling for his head. :facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Losers make excuses. Mac inherited a bad situation on the OL, and we currently have one OL committed, one OL who is playing footsy with others. Mac also has created a situation just as bad on the DL and with inside LBs.

Keep making excuses.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Losers make excuses. Mac inherited a bad situation on the OL, and we currently have one OL committed, one OL who is playing footsy with others. Mac also has created a situation just as bad on the DL and with inside LBs.

Keep making excuses.
Mac did a good job early getting the o-line patched up, but he's lost his momentum. If he were to get a decent o-line class this year, we'd be in good shape. He's got a lot of work left to do this. However, what's happened at DT is as bad as what muschamp did the the o-line. It looks like he's got a good DL class coming, but the gap could get ugly.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The bullshyt at the end of the year and bowl game just wiped that away, made Butters looks like a guy who was still circling the toilet bowl and it has become a self-fulfilling prophesy.
Honestly if I had only seen the last 5 games of 2015 and couldn't see names on jerseys or faces on the sideline I would have sworn we were stuck in 2013....that same hopeless, sick in the stomach feeling over and over. And yes there were dozens of recruits at last years bowl game that watched a lifeless Gator team get destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.