This looks really bad (Callaway news)

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FROM HUNTLEY JOHNSON'S OFFICE......

We have read what the complainant’s attorney has released to the press. We consider his actions inappropriate and an attempt at intimidation,” Osteryoung wrote.

“Since the complainant’s attorney has chosen to go to the press in this matter, we assume that he will be releasing the hundreds of pages that made up the University of Florida’s investigation. We assume that he will be releasing the sworn affidavits in this case. We assume that he will be releasing the complainant’s text messages in the investigation. We assume that he will be releasing the complainant’s multitude of varying and conflicting stories.

“We are not going to besmirch his client in the press. The totality of the investigation which is over one-thousand (1,000 pages) will do that for us. Our client has asked us not to release anything at this point. Because of the conduct of the complainant’s attorney, that may change in the future.”

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN reports that Harris’s recent decision to transfer from Florida was “part of a plea deal” reached in this case

That's all you need to know. Again, thank God he's gone.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know what the process of choosing this hearing officer and I actually do believe that it was done with reason, but it sure looks bad at first glance. ...and in today's world of sound-bite media coverage and public attention span, that's all you get from most of the jurors in the court of public opinion.

I see some counterpunches have been shared in the chatbox and above (which I haven't yet read), so I hope justice is done in this situation and that the public can rest assured of it when all is said and done.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good lawyering is hard to find this day and age.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

Johnson says it's intimidation designed to force an outcome. Says if the complainant and her lawyer are for real, they'll release the 1000 pages of the investigation, some of which Johnson claims contain multiple and conflicting statements from the accuser that poke holes in her story many times over.

If the accuser doesn't come clean with the docs it looks like Callaway skates. Maybe the University was just responding to her legal hijinks with skullduggery of its own when it appointed the adjudicator. Maybe, but in the PC climate, UF will still come off looking like they don't care about women, even if this girl has not been honest.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
If I recall correctly, the text messages released from Treon's first sexual assault allegation didn't paint a very flattering picture of him and the alleged victim changing her story and withdrawing her complaint (for reasons unknown) may have been Treon's only saving grace. The article's statement about Treon's plea deal in this case only reinforces my opinion that he was a bad seed. With that being said, I do find it puzzling that this girl went the Title 9 route immediately and didn't report the alleged incident to the police. I am also curious as to what the investigative reports, witness affidavits and text messages that Huntley referred to say. Maybe we'll hear Calloway's side of the story soon enough.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Its sad that this over shadows the Garcia thing. Treon was a cancer and I am glad he is gone. If Antonio is found to be guilty, he should go too. I just hope he isnt. I dont claim to fully understand the process but it sounds like the university has done a complete study on the subject.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I just hope that justice prevails...whichever side may be the beneficiary.

Agreed. My only concern/question is a student code of conduct hearing the proper place to adjudicate and dispense justice in a sexual assault case without the police and the courts ever being brought into the matter?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No, no, no, no, no! Leave the rape crap to Tallahassee, get this crap out of Gainesville, now! If there's even a hint that Calloway is guilty here show him his walking papers, too. Ugh.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Hard to believe that my university could be so dumb. This is a case In which the university has hurt Callaway's and the football team.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the real difference between us and halfassu guys... we aren't all on this board slut shaming the alleged victim into oblivion and making Callaway out to be the patron saint of youthful purity.

So far I've seen like one person trend in that direction. Everyone else here is either, this looks bad and shame on us, I hope he's not guilty but if he is he needs the boot, or let the process play out and justice be served whatever it is.

That's a far cry from what we saw over on whorechant and the criminole nation as a whole. Good on you folks.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not shaming the victim in any way, but why not go to the police? As bad as it looks that we have a booster adjudicating this hearing, it looks just as bad that the victim only went to the school and not the police. Then again, I can't really delve into the mind of someone who might have been sexually assaulted. Just a bad situation all around, and extremely disappointing.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Agreed. My only concern/question is a student code of conduct hearing the proper place to adjudicate and dispense justice in a sexual assault case without the police and the courts ever being brought into the matter?

it wouldn't be an issue if she had gone straight to the police and not Title IX. she did not wait around to file a complaint, but like it or not and UF's decision on an adjudicator aside, it does throw shade on her claims. a doubt arises if she seems to have been afraid of perjury and making false statements to police or a court of law.

in this case, for the sake of transparency, let's see the documents of the investigation as Antonio's lawyer requests.

i want the truth and justice to be served here. but one can't win either by not showing up or expecting the court of public opinion to do the work for you.

and now we know why everything has taken so long.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Not shaming the victim in any way, but why not go to the police? As bad as it looks that we have a booster adjudicating this hearing, it looks just as bad that the victim only went to the school and not the police. Then again, I can't really delve into the mind of someone who might have been sexually assaulted. Just a bad situation all around, and extremely disappointing.

her lawyer will say she was suffering from trauma and not thinking clearly.

his lawyer will say she was wary of making false or unsubstantiated statements to police and the courts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator