This looks really bad (Callaway news)

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This is nowhere near as a big as the whole Winston thing. And we are upset b/c most here haven't sold their souls to a college football team and are pretty rational and self-aware when it comes to this type stuff. The real outrage about halfassu was the massive coverup by the school, the massive aiding and abetting by local LE, and the massive amount of fsu d*ckhead fans slut shaming the victim and felating Winston non stop.
Comparing us to noles is a pretty low bar.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Going to the police or not does not really have bearing here. Many folks do not seem familiar with Title IX. Unfortunately as a faculty member and one who has had to deal with this situation (although not with a student athlete) I can tell you these are completely different things. When the alleged assault occurred, the alleged victim could have a) gone to the police b) reported it to a university security authority (i.e faculty/staff member) or c) both. If she would have gone to the police, the police would have investigated it from a criminal action, however the university would have been notified either way and STILL would conduct their own investigation/adjudication from a TITLE IX ACTION. Title IX has nothing to do with criminal activity. It has to do with providing a safe and equitable environment that provides access to education for all students. It is easy to confuse and think that the university is having a "trial" of sexual assault, but in reality, while there is some overlap, the university is trying to determine if the accused has created an environment that is not safe for the accuser to go to school. It is for this reason that immediately upon the action being filed at the university, Calloway was not allowed on campus and only allowed to take online courses.

I agree UF did not do itself any favors in selecting this adjudicator. But please do not belittle the accuser just because she did not go to police.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
So according to the bottom line of ESPN, Harris is accused of attempted sexual assault and Calloway of sexual assault.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Whether her claim is valid or not has NOTHING to do with us picking a known booster to hear the case. It's ridiculous. Someone really dropped the ball on this one.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since she isn't saying rape happened, there'd be no proof-outcome by running a rape kit.
Touching her in a trespassing manner, wouldn't that constitute sexual assault ?
It seems that Osteryoung was trying to reveal that the complainant has changed narratives several times.
The UF officials are aware of her differing stories and they may have concluded that she would not stay "faithful"
even to the Title IX meeting no matter how it was set up.??

Always keep in the forefront that Callaway's transgression was not rape. Then to what degree of criminality, if any,
might Callaway be guilty of ?? We don't know who or how much someone was inebriated ? mentally impaired ?
It seems this is devoid of illegality since her attorneys have not advised her to take it up with any law enforcement
agency.

If she told her story and Callaway said, "Yeah, that's the way it happened." then the Title IX process would not
still be going on. So it's wound up as that "she said_he said" thing again. I'd sure be more comfortable if there
were an official police report spelling out the nature of the wrongdoing.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since she isn't saying rape happened, there'd be no proof-outcome by running a rape kit.
It seems that Osteryoung was trying to reveal that the complainant has changed narratives several times.
The UF officials are aware of her differing stories and they may have concluded that she would not stay "faithful"
even to the Title IX meeting no matter how it was set up.??

Always keep in the forefront that Callaway's transgression was not rape. Then to what degree of criminality, if any,
might Callaway be guilty of ?? We don't know who or how much someone was inebriated ? mentally impaired ?
It seems this is devoid of illegality since her attorneys have not advised her to take it up with any law enforcement
agency.

If she told her story and Callaway said, "Yeah, that's the way it happened." then the Title IX process would not
still be going on. So it's wound up as that "she said_he said" thing again. I'd sure be more comfortable if there
were an official police report spelling out the nature of the wrongdoing.

Don't worry for a second, just trust the Feds...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Our PR Dept didn't see this coming from a mile away? Why put the university in this position? They couldn't find an arbiter that wasn't a booster? Come on...

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whether her claim is valid or not has NOTHING to do with us picking a known booster to hear the case. It's ridiculous. Someone really dropped the ball on this one.

Our PR Dept didn't see this coming from a mile away? Why put the university in this position? They couldn't find an arbiter that wasn't a booster? Come on...

You can say that again....oh wai...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Those poor PR people. Why do the lawyers always get a pass?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

It depends on what and whose definition is used. Some people and some states' laws distinguish rape and sexual assault as penetration due to violence or threat of (rape) vs. penetration without consent (sexual assault). Others use the terms interchangeably and still others (including Florida I believe but don't hold me to this as I don't practice law in the Sunshine State) don't use either term and instead refer to it as sexual battery. So depending on what definition is used, evidence may have been obtained were an medical examination done.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Going to the police or not does not really have bearing here. Many folks do not seem familiar with Title IX. Unfortunately as a faculty member and one who has had to deal with this situation (although not with a student athlete) I can tell you these are completely different things. When the alleged assault occurred, the alleged victim could have a) gone to the police b) reported it to a university security authority (i.e faculty/staff member) or c) both. If she would have gone to the police, the police would have investigated it from a criminal action, however the university would have been notified either way and STILL would conduct their own investigation/adjudication from a TITLE IX ACTION. Title IX has nothing to do with criminal activity. It has to do with providing a safe and equitable environment that provides access to education for all students. It is easy to confuse and think that the university is having a "trial" of sexual assault, but in reality, while there is some overlap, the university is trying to determine if the accused has created an environment that is not safe for the accuser to go to school. It is for this reason that immediately upon the action being filed at the university, Calloway was not allowed on campus and only allowed to take online courses.

I agree UF did not do itself any favors in selecting this adjudicator. But please do not belittle the accuser just because she did not go to police.

While I agree with some of what you said, you missed the mark on parts of your post. Title IX is a policy that deals with sexual discrimination for schools or activities receiving federal funding. It actually specifies sexual related crimes as one area that is covered so to say it has nothing to do with criminal activity is wrong. You are correct that the hearing isn't a trial, but while the hearing may be about determining if an unsafe environment was created it is also just as much a part of UF having a specific set of procedures in place to comply with Title IX requirements. That is what, in part tripped FSU up. FSU settling with Winston's accuser (they would have most likely lost their case had they not settled) wasn't proof that she was assaulted. It was really about the fact that as a university they didn't follow proper procedures when the alleged assault was brought to their attention. Had they followed a well designed and documented process they may have won the lawsuit. UF was looking to avoid the same fate as FSU, hence the suspension from campus and the hearings for Treon and Callaway.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, I feel like saying goodbye to Mr. Calloway and Mr. Harris.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Treon, yes. Callaway, well I'd like to see all the evidence before I agree with booting him from school.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's ever going to happen. I know it would be a sh*tty thing to do if he truly is innocent of any wrongdoing, but I doubt we'll ever know either way.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Unfortunately, I don't think that's ever going to happen. I know it would be a sh*tty thing to do if he truly is innocent of any wrongdoing, but I doubt we'll ever know either way.

If you're referring to seeing the evidence, I would say that we may see it based on what Callaway's lawyer said. He didn't seem happy about what Clune did and he indicated a release of the information may happen if Clune continues to try this in the media.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The threat was to release the material If the BS continued. Hopefully, things will clear up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.