Thoughts from Saturday

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not sure how much we can take away from this game, either way, given that it's only week 3. I do think Uk is a much better team and is no longer the easy win that we've become accustomed to. That said, a team that is at least in contention for their division shouldn't need 3 OT's to beat them at home. Again, it's still early, but that indicates a team that still doesn't know how to win games.
The most concerning thing I saw in the replay was Muschamp's face between the 3rd and 4th down in the first OT. While Stoops looked confident and intense, WM looked lost, almost confused as to how we'd reached that point, and defeated. I entered the season with hope, but that was troubling to say the least.

Robinson is our best WR since Harvin and it's not close. Special player, and it bothers me that he wasn't out there helping us last year.

Driskel is still Driskel, which means he'll make a decent play from time to time, but follow it up with an equal amount of needless risks/mistakes. But the fact that he makes some of the best plays in OT shows that, like 2012, he seems to make the critical plays only when his back is against the wall and the season is on the line. To me, that's a reflection of a staff that seems to thrive off of the "adversity" mindset instead of just going out and playing well from start to finish. I know he'll get plenty of blame, but this won't change until the mindset along the sidelines changes, and I'd be shocked if it doesn't permeate to Harris and Grier.

The crowd showed up. It wasn't mid-90's ut game material, but the crowd stuck by the entire game and represented well. The students are hopeless.

The guy on the microphone is brutal. Please stop this at once.

If the guy that's in charge of running the "Cliched, Overused, Non-UF Music" program interrupts the band one more time with Metallica or PitBull, he should be relieved of his post and beaten with heavily starched Warrant t-shirts. There is a place for this before kickoff, I guess. Beyond that, it's a college game, and a program with tons of great tradition that should be a focal point there.

Generally speaking, I think StephenPE is probably dead on. I want this team to be good, and so badly want the current staff to get it together so we can get back to where we need to be. I just don't see it. If nothing else, there is enough talent on both sides of the ball to make it an appealing proposition for a big name, should we have to go that route.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n51429 said:
I want this team to be good, and so badly want the current staff to get it together so we can get back to where we need to be. I just don't see it. If nothing else, there is enough talent on both sides of the ball to make it an appealing proposition for a big name, should we have to go that route.

This is 100% the way I feel.

O

OnlyGatorz

Founding Member
Founding Member
PitBull is a UF tradition. Don't you know that?

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with what took place in that game except for the playcalling in the first half and the dropped balls. IMO Driskel is a QB that needs to get into a rhythm. They came out gunning deep and he was all out of sorts. In the second half they called some short stuff and commited to Jones in the run game and Driskel had a very efficient 2nd half and ot. We had another huge yards game, but because of dropped balls and a couple other execution problems the points were harder to come by. We were a couple plays away from breaking that game open. One other note on our offense this year. We arent shooting ourselves in the foot with drive killing procedure or holding penalties. That is a direct improvement from Roper and summers and their coaching.

The reason Kentucky was in that game its because our lack of execution. The plays were there to be made and we literally dropped the ball on offense and defense. Kentuckys offense was based on breakdowns in thr secondary. The good news there is that is very coachable. The players themselves said the coaches made the right calls, but a break in communication between the young safeties and corners caused confusion. We have the talent and the coaches are putting them in position. We just need them to grow up a little bit. Think 2007 as far as our secondary goes. Talent everywhere, experience almost nowhere.

As far as what you said about taking 3 ot to beat Kentucky is indicative of a team that doesnt know how to win... umm didnt realize we lost. This team, through bad calls, a very shaky first half, and gifting Kentucky points through breakdowns we got ourselves together and made the plays that needed to be made. If you want a snapshot to show improvement from last year think about the ot. Do we have any chance to win in that ot last year? Hell no. We lose every time. Also the last time I remember a team going 3 ot with Kentucky they lost and went on to win an NC. Not saying that we are comparable to that LSU team, but they had a bad game and kentucky was ballin that night. Sound familiar? One bad game is not a pattern. Every team has a bad game. This was ours IMO. The sky is not falling on Gatornation.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n52029 said:
Every team has a bad game. This was ours IMO.
Uh, we've only played two games. Now we get to the hard ones. Unfortunately, I think we may have some more bad games.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n52030 said:
Uh, we've only played two games. Now we get to the hard ones. Unfortunately, I think we may have some more bad games.
With our schedule we could have some good games and still lose. It's gonna get real interesting starting this week.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n52031 said:
With our schedule we could have some good games and still lose. It's gonna get real interesting starting this week.
That's true. I could picture us winning this week or losing by 30. I am utterly clueless about this team.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n52033 said:
That's true. I could picture us winning this week or losing by 30. I am utterly clueless about this team.

I'm utterly clueless about most of the teams in CFB this year. It's going to be a very, very weird season.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n52033 said:

Which is much better than last year. We all knew what to expect last year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n52038 said:
That's also true. I at least feel that we can pass the ball a little if we fall behind, or at least will TRY to pass the ball. They didn't even try last year.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
8802Gator;n52029 said:
Every team has a bad game. This was ours IMO.

From what I saw out of towles and their wr's Kentucky is gonna give Georgia and USCe all they want. I think people are seeing the big picture with the score in this game and forgetting that a few caught passes and ints here and there and that is a 34-17 type of game against a tough UK team. Also, aside from Amari Cooper UK's qb and wrs are better than what we are gonna see in from Ala. VH3 is gonna be on Cooper. After that it is stop the run and keep contain on Sims. I might be wrong but I think we give Ala a hell of a game and have a good shot at winning the damn thing.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n52039 said:
That's also true. I at least feel that we can pass the ball a little if we fall behind, or at least will TRY to pass the ball. They didn't even try last year.

Pumper! :lol:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Too much of my game day experience looks like this
guy-perplexed.jpg

Here's to hoping that stops sooner than later.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n52038 said:

Not really - until after the LSU game. People were in a good mood from the end of the Tenn game until what happened at LSU.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n52083 said:
Not really - until after the LSU game. People were in a good mood from the end of the Tenn game until what happened at LSU.

In a good mood??? You are kidding right? People were still moaning and groaning about the offense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n52039 said:

I would trust us power running with extra blockers more than I would passing the ball against good defenses after watching the KY game but then again it seems most SEC secondaries are getting torched this season so it may work a little..

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thoughts from Saturday:

1. I underestimated UK and so did the Gators
2. The margin of error for this team is very slim
3. The offense is the best we've had under WM (not saying much there)
4. The defense has some glaring weaknesses (corner play)
5. This team is more focused and determined than last year
6. In game adjustments were made (not like last year)
7. We have several really good RB's
8. We have better WR's than expected
9. The OL looks better but.............
10. Qb play is still suspect

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182;n52092 said:
Thoughts from Saturday:

1. I underestimated UK and so did the Gators
2. The margin of error for this team is very slim
3. The offense is the best we've had under WM (not saying much there)
4. The defense has some glaring weaknesses (corner play)
5. This team is more focused and determined than last year
6. In game adjustments were made (not like last year)
7. We have several really good RB's
8. We have better WR's than expected
9. The OL looks better but.............
10. Qb play is still suspect

Kind of disagree with 8 and 10. We have D.Rob, and a bunch of Deonte Thompsons. At least that's what it looks like so far...Oh, and I wouldn't really call our QB play suspect. Jeff is just Jeff. Loads of talent, but will have a few head scratching moments each game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n52084 said:
In a good mood??? You are kidding right? People were still moaning and groaning about the offense.

Many people were happy about our red zone scoring during that stretch. Most complaints were just about us playing Muschamp ball once we got a lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.