3) Unitas
4) Marino
5) Graham
6) Elway
7) Favre
8) Manning
9) Baugh
10) Starr

I think before he’s done, Rodgers pops this list. He’s the best in the game at the moment.

And Brees? I love watching both of those guys. And Wilson.

And for comic relief...

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
If you need assistance, there’s no point in engaging you further.
Yawn. I hate general terms like “pure passer”. That’s why I asked for your definition. The ideal QB and how he “passes” changes all the time. Is accuracy most important? Some outdated version of “perfect mechanics”? What about throwing on the move?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yawn. I hate general terms like “pure passer”. That’s why I asked for your definition. The ideal QB and how he “passes” changes all the time. Is accuracy most important? Some outdated version of “perfect mechanics”? What about throwing on the move?

It’s a guy who makes his living in the pocket and who can make all the reads and throws. Marino was that kind of passer.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
There is no winning this argument. But I’m of the belief that the if you put Marino into the 49’s dynasty with the running game and defense the results would have been similar.

But if you put Montana on the Dolphins with no running game and no defense he would have underperformed Marino.

Dan Marino was the best QB I have ever witnessed.

But these are unwinnable debates. Hard to not value guys who won 4, 5 or 6 Super Bowls.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It’s a guy who makes his living in the pocket and who can make all the reads and throws. Marino was that kind of passer.
Interesting. For me, I would then label him the best “limited” passer. Give me a guy who can threaten the defense in multiple ways, like Young or Montana. Even Rodgers or Brees make a serious threat when they need to.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But these are unwinnable debates. Hard to not value guys who won 4, 5 or 6 Super Bowls.
Yeah, you can luck into one, like that QB from Ravens. However, by the time you've won that many you've had every decent team in the league searching for flaws to exploit. You have to be pretty good.

As hard as it is to believe Bradshaw is capable of a cogent thought, given his tv appearances, he must have been a pretty damn smart QB at one point.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. For me, I would then label him the best “limited” passer. Give me a guy who can threaten the defense in multiple ways, like Young or Montana. Even Rodgers or Brees make a serious threat when they need to.

No, by conventional definition, he’d be a pure passer as in purely a passer. Obviously with the evolution of the position, you now see various degrees of hybrid.

But passing remains what it is, the act of throwing the ball to a receiver, the further downfield the more difficult. Can anyone argue that few people did it better than Marino?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
No, by conventional definition, he’d be a pure passer as in purely a passer. Obviously with the evolution of the position, you now see various degrees of hybrid.

But passing remains what it is, the act of throwing the ball to a receiver, the further downfield the more difficult. Can anyone argue that few people did it better than Marino?
No doubt great. How was his passing outside the pocket - that’s still a QB throwing to a receiver but many statues aren’t good at it? Even the old greats were able to do that which is why I think being the best statue makes him great, but limited.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is no winning this argument. But I’m of the belief that the if you put Marino into the 49’s dynasty with the running game and defense the results would have been similar.

But if you put Montana on the Dolphins with no running game and no defense he would have underperformed Marino.

Dan Marino was the best QB I have ever witnessed.

His first full season as a starter (second in the league), 1984, and all the guy does is throw for 48 touchdowns and 5,000 yards, the latter I believe an NFL record at the time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt great. How was his passing outside the pocket - that’s still a QB throwing to a receiver but many statues aren’t good at it? Even the old greats were able to do that which is why I think being the best statue makes him great, but limited.

Not as good, which is the case with most passers, hence why most passing plays are designed from the pocket. Marino was not particularly agile and he had knee problems his entire career IIRC.

He more than made up for that limitation with a lightning-quick release, an excellent arm and tremendous accuracy. I’ll take that over running from trouble all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.