Totally Southern Expressions

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Two just popped to mind when I saw the picture in the Box. 1. I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on him if he was on fire. 2. He's not smart enough to pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the sole. Followed by the previous entry of "Bless his heart."

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't let your Alligator mouth overload your Mocking Bird Azz!

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ok here’s one I remember and I wonder if anyone can relate. Whenever someone would ask you a question, and you take longer than 5 seconds to answer, they will follow up with “say?”.

Southern friend or family: “Hey you goin’ up town today?”
Me: …
Friend/family: “Say?”

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if this is Southern or just really old fashioned...

...anybody ever heard a Yankee use the word "caterwauling"?

Alex.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
When describing food that is especially bad tasting: It'd drive a maggot off a gut wagon.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I just bought some beautiful flowers even though we have a few more weeks of cold nights. A gentleman in the parking lot made the comment “I hope we are not jumping the gun! “I totally understand what he means but I really don’t know why we say that.

edit: maybe races when they shoot the gun to start

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Not really all southern but a lot of our expressions come from the arms production process. Made from scratch comes from scratching the nitrates off the cave wall to make gunpowder. "Lock, stock and barrel" refers to a whole firearm. "Going off half cocked" refers to a flintlock rifle misfiring when the hammer is in the intermediate position. "Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" originated with musket practice. Our system of gauge measurements (10 gauge, 12 gauge, etc.) refers to the number of musket balls of a certain size that add up to a pound. "Keep your powder dry" is not from a Maybelline commercial.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ya et yet?

o ver yonder

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
smelled so bad it would knock a buzzard off a shttt wagon.

dgeat yet

Not only is the “dgeat yet” part of Jeff Foxworthy’s comedy, but the phrase - I kid you not - was used as an example in a case study in my business communications class, covered in Ch 2, international business comms. The Honda assembly plant in tinerc trained their Japanese execs to understand southern dialect, because understanding English just wasn’t enough. I would love to know if anyone ever told Jeff Foxworthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator