Recruiting Transfer Portal - Stewart Reese shows up a year late, just like this title change

leogator

May 5, 2018
Bru Mc Coy who transferred to UT Austin days after signing his LOI is thinking of transferring back. At least that's the rumor.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Bru Mc Coy who transferred to UT Austin days after signing his LOI is thinking of transferring back. At least that's the rumor.
Starting to wonder if the NCAA will make some adjustments next year to the transfer portal. If not, this kind of silliness will become commonplace.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Starting to wonder if the NCAA will make some adjustments next year to the transfer portal. If not, this kind of silliness will become commonplace.
Do the coaches have to keep the transferring student's scholarship warm just in case he decides to come back, or can they yank it after the end of the semester even if he did not find a taker? What happens to the counter, well count, when somebody transfers?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do the coaches have to keep the transferring student's scholarship warm just in case he decides to come back, or can they yank it after the end of the semester even if he did not find a taker? What happens to the counter, well count, when somebody transfers?
The scholarship can always be yanked at anytime.

Transferring out doesnt change him being a counter. If he is a first time scholly recipient he is a counter for that year. It doesnt matter if he is a new college student from high school, a transfer, or a graduate transfer. S

He has already been a counter at USC, off the cuff, Id guess he isnt a new counter at USC.

The interesting thing will be whether he sits out. By the book he has to sit out next year, just as he would have had to at UT. Of course anyone who threatens to sue them gets away for now, so, who knows?

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

A couple tweaks I'd make to the current transfer portal setup

A couple tweaks I’d make to the current transfer portal setup

The transfer portal ain’t perfect.

It ain’t broke, either. That doesn’t mean we can’t find ways to fix it.

That seems like something at least worth visiting with what we’ve seen from the early stages of college football’s newest craze. As SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said at the SEC Meetings in Destin, Fla., there might actually be more players in the transfer portal than there are available FBS scholarships. There’s a thought.

As Will Muschamp said at the SEC Meetings, “a lot of people think grass is always greener on other side of fence, but that’s not always the case.” Muschamp would know a thing or two about that. He’s had several players enter the portal just in the last few months.

As of Wednesday morning, the SEC had 34 players entered in the transfer portal. That didn’t include guys like Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts, both of whom transferred months ago and are enrolled at their respective schools. There were 40 of those players already. Do some quick math and that’s a total of 74 players — and counting — or an average of 5.3 players per SEC program who have entered the portal since it came into existence on Oct. 15, 2018.

And if you haven’t seen the Bru McCoy situation, well, let’s just say this is the NCAA’s worst nightmare as it relates to the transfer portal.

Is the transfer portal turning this into free agency like Dabo Swinney fears? I’d argue that’s not the case, and that there are still a lot of benefits to it (players not being held back by coaches to go to a certain school, freedom when player is in bad situation outside of their control, a fair recruiting market for players to make decisions about their own value, etc.).

But I’ve got a suggestion or two for how to tweak the system so that coaches don’t totally hate it and players still benefit from it.

For starters, I’d vote that a player can only go through the transfer portal once to avoid situations like McCoy’s. That’s a fairly obvious step that seems like everyone can get on board with.

As it stands, the portal is open year-round. Players can enter at any given moment and do so without seeking permission from a coach. The latter half of that sentence is fine.

What’s worrisome is that this is the first time the transfer portal will be active in August. You know, that month when teams are finalizing their depth charts for a 12-game season.

It’s inevitable that we’re going to have a slew of second-stringers at Power 5 programs leave their programs in the third week of August and try to go elsewhere to play immediately. And with how murky the NCAA rules have become in granting immediate eligibility — Tate Martell gets it but Luke Ford doesn’t? — who knows what can be promised to a player from an opposing coach right before the start of the season.

So why not make a timeframe for the portal. My original idea was to have it open from Jan. 1-May 1. That way, you could allow coaches the opportunity to recruit for the early signing period and then add players for the February signing period based on who enters the portal and who leaves early for the draft.

But since I’m in a good mood, I’ll open it up even more. Why don’t we make the portal open from Jan. 1-Aug. 1.

In that scenario, coaches won’t have to deal with players leaving in fall camp, nor will they have the midseason option of leaving because they’re upset with playing time. And with the new redshirt rule in place, perhaps that allows coaches and players to settle on a solution that keeps a year of their eligibility while it doesn’t decimate depth when it’s needed during those late-season conference games.

Players essentially still get the entire offseason to decide if they want to enter the portal, and coaches don’t have to wake up every morning checking the database and praying they don’t see one of their players in it.

One of the things I don’t think the NCAA anticipated was how public the transfer portal was going to be. I don’t think they realized that even if coaches and a select few have access to the database, the public was still going to find out about all of these players in the transfer portal.

And from the coaches’ standpoint, I get why they’re frustrated because it makes them look bad. With more players leaving than ever, they have to answer questions in the offseason about why their program had so many players in the transfer portal, even if it is just becoming the new norm.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He has already been a counter at USC, off the cuff, Id guess he isnt a new counter at USC.

This is an interesting point. He was an initial counter at SoCal. Despite some recruiting sites treating him as a recruit and putting him in the class rankings, I suspect that he was a transfer not an initial counter at UTx. He also likely did not sign a NLOI at UTx as I believe you can only sign one.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

It ain’t broke, either. That doesn’t mean we can’t find ways to fix it.

That seems like something at least worth visiting with what we’ve seen from the early stages of college football’s newest craze. As SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said at the SEC Meetings in Destin, Fla., there might actually be more players in the transfer portal than there are available FBS scholarships. There’s a thought.

As Will Muschamp said at the SEC Meetings, “a lot of people think grass is always greener on other side of fence, but that’s not always the case.” Muschamp would know a thing or two about that. He’s had several players enter the portal just in the last few months.

As of Wednesday morning, the SEC had 34 players entered in the transfer portal. That didn’t include guys like Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts, both of whom transferred months ago and are enrolled at their respective schools. There were 40 of those players already. Do some quick math and that’s a total of 74 players — and counting — or an average of 5.3 players per SEC program who have entered the portal since it came into existence on Oct. 15, 2018.

And if you haven’t seen the Bru McCoy situation, well, let’s just say this is the NCAA’s worst nightmare as it relates to the transfer portal.

Is the transfer portal turning this into free agency like Dabo Swinney fears? I’d argue that’s not the case, and that there are still a lot of benefits to it (players not being held back by coaches to go to a certain school, freedom when player is in bad situation outside of their control, a fair recruiting market for players to make decisions about their own value, etc.).

But I’ve got a suggestion or two for how to tweak the system so that coaches don’t totally hate it and players still benefit from it.

For starters, I’d vote that a player can only go through the transfer portal once to avoid situations like McCoy’s. That’s a fairly obvious step that seems like everyone can get on board with.

As it stands, the portal is open year-round. Players can enter at any given moment and do so without seeking permission from a coach. The latter half of that sentence is fine.

What’s worrisome is that this is the first time the transfer portal will be active in August. You know, that month when teams are finalizing their depth charts for a 12-game season.

It’s inevitable that we’re going to have a slew of second-stringers at Power 5 programs leave their programs in the third week of August and try to go elsewhere to play immediately. And with how murky the NCAA rules have become in granting immediate eligibility — Tate Martell gets it but Luke Ford doesn’t? — who knows what can be promised to a player from an opposing coach right before the start of the season.

So why not make a timeframe for the portal. My original idea was to have it open from Jan. 1-May 1. That way, you could allow coaches the opportunity to recruit for the early signing period and then add players for the February signing period based on who enters the portal and who leaves early for the draft.

But since I’m in a good mood, I’ll open it up even more. Why don’t we make the portal open from Jan. 1-Aug. 1.

In that scenario, coaches won’t have to deal with players leaving in fall camp, nor will they have the midseason option of leaving because they’re upset with playing time. And with the new redshirt rule in place, perhaps that allows coaches and players to settle on a solution that keeps a year of their eligibility while it doesn’t decimate depth when it’s needed during those late-season conference games.

Players essentially still get the entire offseason to decide if they want to enter the portal, and coaches don’t have to wake up every morning checking the database and praying they don’t see one of their players in it.

One of the things I don’t think the NCAA anticipated was how public the transfer portal was going to be. I don’t think they realized that even if coaches and a select few have access to the database, the public was still going to find out about all of these players in the transfer portal.

And from the coaches’ standpoint, I get why they’re frustrated because it makes them look bad. With more players leaving than ever, they have to answer questions in the offseason about why their program had so many players in the transfer portal, even if it is just becoming the new norm.
This guy has some good ideas. And the absurdity of anyone not getting immediate eligibility when they gave it to Martell and Fields.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

It ain’t broke, either.

What a moron. Of course anyone who begin their article on college athletics using "ain't," I guess trying to proudly proclaim they are uneducated, but certainly have advice for the educated, can not be expected to have gone to college or understand college enrollment is not jail.

As any student can transfer at any time. Long before the transfer portal set up a formal system players have left during the August and during the fall because they were unhappy with playing time or something.

That was certainly Lemon's story in fall 2018 and not having a transfer portal meant nothing. Of course anyone who starts the fall term can not enroll until after 1 Jan, ie spring or (winter) term baring something unusual. So I am not sure what this proposed tweak would accomplish.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is an interesting point. He was an initial counter at SoCal. Despite some recruiting sites treating him as a recruit and putting him in the class rankings, I suspect that he was a transfer not an initial counter at UT. .
Transfers are initial counters when they come in also, so he would have been both an initial counter and an LOI at USC, then an initial counter at UT.... I think. Im presuming he was actually on scholly at UT. That may be wrong if for instance if he started as an EE in spring semester then "transferred" to UT but didnt actually get aid and attend classes, possible given that it is only May. Who knows if they are on quarters or semesters there.

Now that I think about it, the assumption that he was already a counter at USC might be faulty. He could have ALSO signed an early LOI at USC but not attended USC in Jan but attended to UT on scholly instead... which would mean counting as an LOI at USC in 2019, but not a counter bc he never actually accepted scholly, and being a counter at UT for spring semester.

I just dont know the facts and dont care to research more.

The rules are complicated.

Limits on LOIs and Limits on Counters. These are distinct and have nuances. Both have exceptions and countback rules.

This is one of the examples where you potentially have people who are an LOI but not a counter and vice versa.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
What a moron. Of course anyone who begin their article on college athletics using "ain't,"...

I didn’t read what he wrote, so I won’t defend whatever point he’s making. However, having grown up in the South, “ain’t” is grammatically correct and perfectly acceptable. You’re just a snob... or a poser who wants to sound upper crust. Please move to nyc where you can feel more at home.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I didn’t read what he wrote, so I won’t defend whatever point he’s making. However, having grown up in the South, “ain’t” is grammatically correct and perfectly acceptable. You’re just a snob... or a poser who wants to sound upper crust. Please move to nyc where you can feel more at home.

So let me see if I have the right, non-standard abbreviations are awful and a reason to stop threads dead in their tracks, but non-standard English is ok here? Interesting view by you and those liking your post.

Last edited:

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Not sure what this was meant for, but he just posted it:

I could be wrong but i think he's trying to say its getting out of hand. And everyone getting waivers so easily players are just going to jump ship to soon. I think were going to see more high profile classes like UGA and Bama have had the last few years and Clemson this year, and players will come in try and compete and win a title then transfer the next year if they don't start. And if the NCAA continues to just hand waivers out it will make it worse

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
So let me see if I have the right, non-standard abbreviations are awful and a reason to stop thread dead in their tracks, but non-standard English is ok here? Interesting view by you and those liking your post.

TBH, I was just busting your chops, to a certain degree. “Ain’t” has been an acceptable part of southern dialect for over a century, so don’t use it as a measurement of intellect and think the rest of us are going to applaud.

As for the nonstandard abbreviations, I found the banter mildly amusing, but I wasn’t invested in it. People poke fun... some harder than others. Get used to the fact that we have several d-bags on this board, because they’re not going anywhere.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Insti just outed himself as a Yankee.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Ain't gonna lie, I feel stupid because I can't read Twitter.

Ain't gonna worry about it though.

Ain't got time for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator