Truth Takes: Arkansas Review 2023

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
GatorFl forgets or is unaware of how this works with the coaches agents. The main agent for most good coaches being JIMMY SEXTON of Creative Artists Agency-Sports. Get on Jimmy‘s bad side by not living up to your contractual obligations with his client means Jimmy doesn’t get paid and will likely never help you hire a football coach in the future.
Sexton has represented every coach we have hired since Spurrier resigned. We inquire with him if coach x might be interested in UF and he acts as a go between with that coach to find out if there is possible interest. This avoids public embarrassment for both sides in case of no interest. Football coaches don’t come with guarantees. Get on Sexton’s shiit list and you’re dead in the water for finding a new college football head coach. Simple.

Meh, I'm not so sure that's quite the doom and gloom you think it is.

Sexton got us Mullen (and Butters) and also got Pruitt to Tennessee, etc. Bottom line is: his coaches fail and get their schools on probation and many have washed their hands of him.

Supposedly, Tennessee's AD flat-out refused to even take Sexton's phone calls or deal with anyone who was his client after the Pruitt debacle...and got Heupel in the end on a $4M incentive-laden contract that they renegotiated after he started delivering. I think that would work for everyone here.

Really, fuch Sexton. It's not like his recent clients have improved the situation for Gator football of late, so I'm not exactly scared to offend him given the track record of late; and moreover, Pruitt getting stiffed didn't seem to dissuade him from trying to place a new coach at Tennessee.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
This is likely one of those times.

Let's face it: the guy can't coach. There's enough data points to support that conclusion at this point and that'll be driven home over the remainder of the season. Vis a vis other coaches who've started at the same time at comparable-caliber programs, he's regressed in almost every single way and looks like the worst hire. Kelly took over at the exact same time and had more turnover than we did...look at how he did last year and is doing this year.

Whatever the PI finds can be put into an NDA and everyone stays mum about it. Napier probably would want to quietly take whatever negotiated settlement we put; and while others in the industry might hear of generally, it's not going to materially affect anyone from taking the job.

Let's face it: we're a high-profile, premier job in college sports even with our recent suckitude. We have a top 5 public school to sell on top of a top 20 most winningest college program. We have a wealthy donor base and alumni support and can afford to pay good money for a good coach. Most importantly: the resources are in-place to win and win quickly. Many coaches would still jump at the opportunity to come here, especially if the money's right.

What we really need to do is hire a PI, use that to lower the buyout, fire Stricklin shortly afterwards (who amply deserves it), and then that way the new A.D. doesn't have the "stench" of using the PI. Is it a little dirty? Probably. But if we can't afford to cut ties and buy him out now, that's the fastest and cleanest way to clean house, which is what we need. This is a business at the end of the day and you sometimes need to be ruthless to get ahead--or in this case, get back to where we were.
What the fuch are you talking about here. The guy has to much integrity to allow his defensive players lay down to slow down an actual hurry up offense like we faced Saturday.
I kept screaming for it, they were doing it, even though we look to the sidelines and barely get the play off each snap.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
What the fuch are you talking about here. The guy has to much integrity to allow his defensive players lay down to slow down an actual hurry up offense like we faced Saturday.
I kept screaming for it, they were doing it, even though we look to the sidelines and barely get the play off each snap.

What on earth are you talking about?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We didn't loose to Vandy?
Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Process Baby!

Last edited:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
What on earth are you talking about?
Your post seemed to suggest there's enough skeletons in Billy's closet that a PI could relieve of us of his buyout. I was pointing out the man won't even allow our defense to fake an injury, to slow down an actual hurry up offense. Point being the PI would just be more money wasted by the UAA.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Your post seemed to suggest there's enough skeletons in Billy's closet that a PI could relieve of us of his buyout. I was pointing out the man won't even allow our defense to fake an injury, to slow down an actual hurry up offense. Point being the PI would just be more money wasted by the UAA.
One word: ABSCAM.

Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

I didn't say relieve it completely, that's unrealistic.
I said it could likely reduce the buyout by giving the University some leverage.

It's standard industry practice in legal settlements that are a fraction of what Napier's buyout numbers would look like...so frankly, I don't see why we wouldn't. If hiring a PI for $50k saves the University $5M in a buyout, how in the world is that not a smart, prudent investment?

And while I'll concede that while Napier undoubtedly has a lot of integrity in how he operates vis a vis a lot of others in the industry...at the end of the day, it's big-money college football...there's no such thing as a coach or program with completely clean hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.