Truth Takes: How To Coach into a QB Controversy

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I will. I'm not saying it is the right or wrong mentality, I'm saying it is what it is. If that changes, it changes, but for now, there is no way it happens.

Many are references, but definitely noted! I do not mind any advice people have to give.

Thank you.

Well, the defense had a great quarter or so that allowed the offense to come back. That first half defense was awful. Offense made what I've heard this weekend was the "Best Defense in the Country" look bad by putting up 46 points and over 400 yards passing. Plenty was wrong, but can't argue with there was a great game played by most of the team. We aren't throwing for 200 against Bama this year the way it looks, but we will do better than 2.1 yards a carry or 54 yards on the ground as well.

With the 4 season in a row where the rebuilding phrase has been used by all of Gators media (last year was rebuilding due to losing Hammond, Swain, Jefferson, and Cleveland as well as lineman), many have been expecting a loss to Bama. Won't change anything. Mullen will buy at least two years with the new facility and letting go of Grantham because a coach needs multiple years to fix another coaches mistakes. Then if Hevesy gets let go at any point he gets two more years from there. As long as the yearly rebuilding phrase is used it acts as a cover all. That's why even the best Gators media will absolutely not say when we will reach the Gators Standard (which Dan Mullen labeled as championships).

I'm not saying you have to agree, but unless you get the Bull Gators upset (and they are not from what I've seen), there is less than 1% chance he is fired short of some sort of violation of the NCAA, death threats commentary, Petrino like scandal or even a criminal scandal.

I agree completely

In addition, the proliferation of TV money has reduced the influence boosters have on AD’s decisions since the typical big time program makes the vast majority of the money from TV.

Unless boosters stop buying tickets, which they will not, Scottie is free to continue driving the program into the ground and smiling all the way.

I am sickened by what continues to happen to the football program.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AR has tremendous upside, but he does need to master the offense, including checks and line calls. His talent demands playing time and I expect he will be the difference in several games.

The WRs need to step up ASAP - physically and mentally. If even one or 2 establish as a real threat it will help all as well as the QBs.

At what point are we allowed to talk about why it takes years for a player to learn the offense?

I am supposed to believe that he can do even a hint of academic work on a level to justify admission to UF but it takes 3 years to master a playbook?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
At what point are we allowed to talk about why it takes years for a player to learn the offense?

I am supposed to believe that he can do even a hint of academic work on a level to justify admission to UF but it takes 3 years to master a playbook?
a highschool level playbook at that....

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Go ahead, it's worth it. The link to sign up for the training course is below in the comments section. Donkey only charges $500.00 for the session if you mention you saw the advertisement on Gatorchatter.

OK. I am going to sign up but can I kick him harder than the donkey??

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are only about 12 routes you can run before you are just running the same route over again with a little nuance.
We only run 4, 3 with any regularity.

Dont even try to bring up combo routes. That shtt dont fly in 1990s Notre Dame land.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
1) There is a rumor that Perine moved on and is not presently on the Gator team.
2) If we thought CDM was smart (and we don't) we might think that he deliberately started a QB controversy so that the fans could demand the right QB and he would be forced to accede to their demands, thus getting the correct player in and still preserving his reputation for respecting seniority.
Regarding 1), I, for one, saw that you were being sarcastic because @GatorTruth133 accidentally referred to a current RB as Perine in his otherwise excellent OP.

GT133 later acknowledged the error and fixed it, but that didn't happen until after @GatorJ and @Swamp Donkey made mockeries of themselves by mocking your comment as if it made no sense. They failed to recognize your sarcasm because neither one of them cared to read GT133's original post that he put a lot of time and effort into composing for us. Sad! :(

Regarding 2), I have to admit I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic there, too. But it is true that Cousin Eddie really does want to cultivate a reputation for respecting seniority. I don't understand that. Why would a coach want to have that reputation, as opposed to being known for playing the most talented player at every position, period? Seems like the latter philosophy would be about a quintillion times more appealing to recruits, give or take a million.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

I think we are on it. I’ve responded to your point in another post a little while ago. It does take more time for some than others. In academics the parts aren’t coming at you fast and violently.

I don’t think that’s the issue here. It’s whether or not Mullen is wiling to recognize when it’s time to rely on a prodigy and able to prepare him, plus take the related risks to reap the awards, etc. EJ’s performance cranked up the heat on that. Had he played really well, we’d be much more willing to salt AR in over time.

Seems to me if you tell a guy “Get ready” his preparation would intensify far above “We are working you in over time.”

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I really want to click the play button on that even though I know it will make me uncomfortable.

Good news for you east coast folks, Donk has expanded beyond the Tijuana, now with seminars in Florida as well.
fd8df1e7a8b420261d6db8e47b7bdd31.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator