Truth Takes: How To Coach into a QB Controversy

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
The qb thing is an issue now but we have a terrible USF game to figure it out (coach does anyway). It seems right now he has no intent on changing but who knows. The receiving core seems like an issue to me - some bad throws sure but plenty of drops against a poor opponent.

I truly believe the drop by Fraziars is less of an issue as he won't be playing as much. The only other real drop in my opinion is Bowman. Hopefully, he fixes that. I put more fault on EJ than I do on Whittemore for what some believe should have been caught. I think just getting to the ball was a great effort on his part.

1) There is a rumor that Perine moved on and is not presently on the Gator team.
2) If we thought CDM was smart (and we don't) we might think that he deliberately started a QB controversy so that the fans could demand the right QB and he would be forced to accede to their demands, thus getting the correct player in and still preserving his reputation for respecting seniority.

Fixed...that's what I get for getting home at 1am, re-watching the game and then with like 4 hours of sleep writing. Fail on my part!

@GatorTruth133 Good analysis as usual. I am curious though. Did yesterday's game change your overall prediction for the season? If so, what are you thinking now?

I am questioning it. Emory definitely was MUCH worse than I thought he would be. It could be a game 1 deal, or it could be something more. We've seen him throw it better intermediate before and it looks like he's taking some steps backwards which you never want to see. I want to see if week 2 shows something else first. Again, the issues of ball placement, like grounding balls is not something that is an opponent issue. Just like being lined up on defense is something you can see or sure tackling.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I truly believe the drop by Fraziars is less of an issue as he won't be playing as much. .
Fraziars is essentially a walkon. I dont feel bad about AR "missing" that pass. I feel like there might be a better chance we see Jackson than Fraziars ever again.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Every once in a while I pop back in here to see if there is something worth reading. This was great! Thanks

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Worse than FAU?

I believe so. Lane was building something at FAU when he left for Ole Miss. Strong was continuing a downward spiral for USF. Taggart also brought in better transfers as well, but he is Taggart. I know nothing about their coach, tells me all I need to know. And them being blanked at NC State doesn't help make me believe in them. Not that I believe in FAU much, but USF seems to be that bad.

Also, let's also be honest Raymond James will be majority Gators, this is an away game in name only.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I believe so. Lane was building something at FAU when he left for Ole Miss. Strong was continuing a downward spiral for USF. Taggart also brought in better transfers as well, but he is Taggart. I know nothing about their coach, tells me all I need to know. And them being blanked at NC State doesn't help make me believe in them. Not that I believe in FAU much, but USF seems to be that bad.

Also, let's also be honest Raymond James will be majority Gators, this is an away game in name only.

USF is charging $90 face value for any seat in the stadium, it's a 1pm kickoff. I expect to see a half empty stadium. USF is bad, NC State is mediocre....and I can't imagine we beat them by 45 like NC State did. Our O is a sh*tshow, I can't believe how bad EJ looked. You look at teams all around the country throwing for 300+ (Kentucky, for example) and we STRUGGLED to throw for 153 yards. It's mind blowing - he's a 4th year player in the same system w/ the same coach...for four years. I know it's "just one game", but much like when Butters went to overtime in year 1 vs. a 3-8 FAU team, this isn't good. This offense will struggle vs. any team w/ a pulse on defense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We have achieved full Mullen status. He ran what Mullen called. Did Mullen seem unhappy with the lack of passing? Not in the slightest.

We are Cowbell

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We have achieved full Mullen status. He ran what Mullen called. Did Mullen seem unhappy with the lack of passing? Not in the slightest.

We are Cowbell
Mullen seemed as happy as can be. He practically danced out of there. If you're going to try and win a lot with a run-only offense, it better be something completely dominant like the 2013 Auburn Tigers (328 rushing yards a game), and even that team lost multiple games. Our RB's and OL are mediocre, so we aren't going to sniff 400 yards rushing again in a game this season.

Cliff Notes: You have to be able to pass the damn ball.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
USF is charging $90 face value for any seat in the stadium, it's a 1pm kickoff. I expect to see a half empty stadium. USF is bad, NC State is mediocre....and I can't imagine we beat them by 45 like NC State did. Our O is a sh*tshow, I can't believe how bad EJ looked. You look at teams all around the country throwing for 300+ (Kentucky, for example) and we STRUGGLED to throw for 153 yards. It's mind blowing - he's a 4th year player in the same system w/ the same coach...for four years. I know it's "just one game", but much like when Butters went to overtime in year 1 vs. a 3-8 FAU team, this isn't good. This offense will struggle vs. any team w/ a pulse on defense.

Vivid Seats has seats for $60. Tampa is full of Gator fans and there are quite a few Gators from Tampa so I would expect a healthy turnout in favor of the Gators. If you include Clearwater and Lakeland we probably have around 10 players from that area.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Vivid Seats has seats for $60. Tampa is full of Gator fans and there are quite a few Gators from Tampa so I would expect a healthy turnout in favor of the Gators.
After week 1 I think a lot of those fans that were planning to make the trip will decide to spend their money elsewhere and just catch a few glimpses of it on TV.

If Mullen had announced AR15 was now the starter, that would be a different story. THAT would get some asses in the seats. Too bad he'll be warming the pine instead. No real reason for him to even suit up.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I'll be there. It's closer than UF for me. However, the drive to Raymond James is always a bad time and parking has been atrocious in my experience.

If you're Mullen. You have to allow both guys the chance to throw intermediate routes this game. Use this bad USF team as an opportunity to have a QB competition if you aren't making the switch. More bad INT's (all INT's are not made the same) by Emory and you have to do something. If not Bama will eat him alive.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
After week 1 I think a lot of those fans that were planning to make the trip will decide to spend their money elsewhere and just catch a few glimpses of it on TV.

If Mullen had announced AR15 was now the starter, that would be a different story. THAT would get some asses in the seats. Too bad he'll be warming the pine instead. No real reason for him to even suit up.

I just saw that we didn’t force a single 3 and out vs FAU….if true I give up. I already had lowered expectations, but it just hit me while sitting here how unbelievable it is that Grantham is still our DC. If (when) he sucks this season and isn’t fired in the off-season, I think it’s officially time to pull the plug on Mullen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just saw that we didn’t force a single 3 and out vs FAU….if true I give up. I already had lowered expectations, but it just hit me while sitting here how unbelievable it is that Grantham is still our DC. If (when) he sucks this season and isn’t fired in the off-season, I think it’s officially time to pull the plug on Mullen.
Lost Decade became Lost Decades when we hired Mullinz.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

I think I should say this to everyone. Mullen is not getting fired this year even if we finish 3-9. He just isn't, he will get the new facilities and two years after that unless we have back to back losing seasons.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think I should say this to everyone. Mullen is not getting fired this year even if we finish 3-9. He just isn't, he will get the new facilities and two years after that unless we have back to back losing seasons.
It won't be up to the AD. It never is.

The AD didn't want to fire Zook or Chimp either.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I will be absolutely stunned if Alabama has a single series against us that they don't score points. They will not punt once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.