Truth Takes: How To Coach into a QB Controversy

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
It won't be up to the AD. It never is.

The AD didn't want to fire Zook or Fooley either.

Instead of Foley you mean Muschamp right? Here's the difference. People have a different perspective after the abyss that was Muschamp and MacNuss. The issues that got Zook fired are acceptable today. Zook followed Spurrier so the comparison was different. People believe that there was absolutely no talent at UF when Mullen took over and that he's done miraculous things. I knew there was talent at UF and that's why I predicted the 10 wins in 2018. Most still believe Toney, Swain, Hammond, Trask, Polite, Zuniga, CJ3, David Reese, Cleveland, and others did not exist until 2018. Poor coaching, not talent was the issue. Most people believe it was both and when they believe that, Mullen is a miracle worker. You don't fire miracle workers.

Same people saw Zook and thought he took that great 2001 team and turned us into the 4 loss program we currently are, which like it or not, that's last years total. I have made great arguments in the past that Ron Zook would do better today than in '02-'04 and its about perspective and schedule. Zook also had better Miami and Tennessee teams.

In short, the perspective about where we are has changed. Those same people who drove Zook and Champ out do not see Mullen the same way they did those two because of where the program was before he took over. That's not a commentary about whether I agree or not with that perspective, but that is the way it is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I will be absolutely stunned if Alabama has a single series against us that they don't score points. They will not punt once.
They will be killing the clock and playing scrubs just like last year by halfway through the second quarter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And will STILL score every time. Bama's "scrubs" are 4-star players we whiffed on.

Also, keep in mind his entire premise is flawed and not even remotely consistent with reality. They put together a 1 min drive to end Q2(which was Mullen's fault anyway), had all their starters playing the entire 3rd and even went for it on a 4th down at midfield once we pulled to within 11. You can despise Mullen, want him fired, blame him for clock management that contributed to the loss, etc. while still acknowledging that Trask and the team played a great game in Atlanta that night. It's possible.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Your best work Truth! Especially the title, all your others sucked. Try not to be so clever with every headline. Sorry, I'm getting old and crabby but, just trying to help.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
We are not winning crap this year. I will be interested how Mullen explains away the "we are only 4 TDs behind Bama" when we get wrecked in two weeks. Best case scenario is second in the east. Likely scenario is 3-4th in the east. Hope we can hold on to AR while hiring a new HC in the 2022 offseason. But I suspect whoever the new HC will be is going to be another unproven Butters type because they want to save a few million dollars to pay for Mullen's buyout.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
get back with me after Fuchstard goes 1-3 and 1-4 vs Ugly.

I will. I'm not saying it is the right or wrong mentality, I'm saying it is what it is. If that changes, it changes, but for now, there is no way it happens.

Your best work Truth! Especially the title, all your others sucked. Try not to be so clever with every headline. Sorry, I'm getting old and crabby but, just trying to help.

Many are references, but definitely noted! I do not mind any advice people have to give.

Terrific write-up, much respect.

Thank you.

Also, keep in mind his entire premise is flawed and not even remotely consistent with reality. They put together a 1 min drive to end Q2(which was Mullen's fault anyway), had all their starters playing the entire 3rd and even went for it on a 4th down at midfield once we pulled to within 11. You can despise Mullen, want him fired, blame him for clock management that contributed to the loss, etc. while still acknowledging that Trask and the team played a great game in Atlanta that night. It's possible.

Well, the defense had a great quarter or so that allowed the offense to come back. That first half defense was awful. Offense made what I've heard this weekend was the "Best Defense in the Country" look bad by putting up 46 points and over 400 yards passing. Plenty was wrong, but can't argue with there was a great game played by most of the team. We aren't throwing for 200 against Bama this year the way it looks, but we will do better than 2.1 yards a carry or 54 yards on the ground as well.

We are not winning crap this year. I will be interested how Mullen explains away the "we are only 4 TDs behind Bama" when we get wrecked in two weeks. Best case scenario is second in the east. Likely scenario is 3-4th in the east. Hope we can hold on to AR while hiring a new HC in the 2022 offseason. But I suspect whoever the new HC will be is going to be another unproven Butters type because they want to save a few million dollars to pay for Mullen's buyout.

With the 4 season in a row where the rebuilding phrase has been used by all of Gators media (last year was rebuilding due to losing Hammond, Swain, Jefferson, and Cleveland as well as lineman), many have been expecting a loss to Bama. Won't change anything. Mullen will buy at least two years with the new facility and letting go of Grantham because a coach needs multiple years to fix another coaches mistakes. Then if Hevesy gets let go at any point he gets two more years from there. As long as the yearly rebuilding phrase is used it acts as a cover all. That's why even the best Gators media will absolutely not say when we will reach the Gators Standard (which Dan Mullen labeled as championships).

I'm not saying you have to agree, but unless you get the Bull Gators upset (and they are not from what I've seen), there is less than 1% chance he is fired short of some sort of violation of the NCAA, death threats commentary, Petrino like scandal or even a criminal scandal.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
offense played a great game. defense was hapless as usual. and clock management was absolutely horrid.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
We also got off the field on third downs due to our play more than I realized when I re-watched the game.

Yeah, I disagree with this. In the first half, I don't think we really stopped a single one of their drives as I think it was stupid mistakes FAU made that stopped their own drives. Tripping over the running back, dropped passes and dumb penalties stopped FAU drives.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The defense was horrible as usual. Still don't understand the mindset of playing 4 yards off EVERY WR to give them an easy chance at completions. Why hasn't the media brought up that question. We should be playing tight coverage. With a crap defense and not so great offense with EJ in there, its going to be an 8 win season at best. With AR as the QB, maybe a 9 or 10 win season but that is a stretch. Even as the biggest pumper here, I have a hard time seeing that we will have a great year which is 11 or 12 wins.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why hasn't the media brought up that question.
I noticed last year McGriff would no longer say Stiner missed a tackle, or blew a coverage as usual, or whatever.

He would just say blown coverage by the DB or similar.

Undoubtedly they are all being instructed to say this or else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator