Truth Takes: How To Coach into a QB Controversy

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I noticed last year McGriff would no longer say Stiner missed a tackle, or blew a coverage as usual, or whatever.

He would just say blown coverage by the DB or similar.

Undoubtedly they are all being instructed to say this or else.

May be true but the bigger question should be why would an Auburn DB coach be receiving questions about a Florida DB's tackling abilities? Starting a little late on the bottle today huh?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
May be true but the bigger question should be why would an Auburn DB coach be receiving questions about a Florida DB's tackling abilities? Starting a little late on the bottle today huh?
No dude, the announcer. Lee McGriff.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
The defense was horrible as usual. Still don't understand the mindset of playing 4 yards off EVERY WR to give them an easy chance at completions. Why hasn't the media brought up that question. We should be playing tight coverage. With a crap defense and not so great offense with EJ in there, its going to be an 8 win season at best. With AR as the QB, maybe a 9 or 10 win season but that is a stretch. Even as the biggest pumper here, I have a hard time seeing that we will have a great year which is 11 or 12 wins.

I wouldn't say the defense was horrible, wouldn't say it was great. We will see if indeed more press coverage is coming as Grantham said in a recent presser. Biggest complaint I have is no 3 and outs.

IF the EJ we saw Saturday is indeed who EJ is AND Mullen forces him to start no matter what I agree with 8 wins at best. I do believe Jones can be better, but can't say how much. I do believe at some point if Lawrence is coming after Kelly, you play Lawrence even if undefeated. Or if Hurts isn't getting it done in the Natty, you put in Tua. Big coaches make those big calls. With that said, Jones had some good plays we forgot because he had some horrible, terrible decisions such as the picks and the QB sneak from the 4.

Yeah, I disagree with this. In the first half, I don't think we really stopped a single one of their drives as I think it was stupid mistakes FAU made that stopped their own drives. Tripping over the running back, dropped passes and dumb penalties stopped FAU drives.

Tripping was on a first down. Re-watch, we were in the backfield even if he hadn't done that it would probably been a loss on that play. That was FAU's first drive where we hit Perry as he was throwing. It arguably could have been called intentional grounding. The second drive was a strip sack we recovered. The third drive was a high pass on 3rd as we were coming, coverage was also tight, they went for it on 4th and we stopped Posey for no gain. The 4th and final drive of the half had an intentional grounding for the long pass (same thing Brady got hit with in the Super Bowl a few years back) and was second and 15. The next three plays were tight coverage throwaway on 2nd down, 10 yard completion on 3rd down (screen where we played deeper due to time left in half), and 4th was an incompletion where Cox was in Perry's face forcing him to throw off the back foot.

A 134 first half was good and our kids deserve some credit. You can simultaneously not like Grantham and give the kids credit for strip sacks and QB pressure. I do believe a great complaint is the failure to get a 3 and out in the first half.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I wouldn't say the defense was horrible, wouldn't say it was great. We will see if indeed more press coverage is coming as Grantham said in a recent presser. Biggest complaint I have is no 3 and outs.

IF the EJ we saw Saturday is indeed who EJ is AND Mullen forces him to start no matter what I agree with 8 wins at best. I do believe Jones can be better, but can't say how much. I do believe at some point if Lawrence is coming after Kelly, you play Lawrence even if undefeated. Or if Hurts isn't getting it done in the Natty, you put in Tua. Big coaches make those big calls. With that said, Jones had some good plays we forgot because he had some horrible, terrible decisions such as the picks and the QB sneak from the 4.

Tripping was on a first down. Re-watch, we were in the backfield even if he hadn't done that it would probably been a loss on that play. That was FAU's first drive where we hit Perry as he was throwing. It arguably could have been called intentional grounding. The second drive was a strip sack we recovered. The third drive was a high pass on 3rd as we were coming, coverage was also tight, they went for it on 4th and we stopped Posey for no gain. The 4th and final drive of the half had an intentional grounding for the long pass (same thing Brady got hit with in the Super Bowl a few years back) and was second and 15. The next three plays were tight coverage throwaway on 2nd down, 10 yard completion on 3rd down (screen where we played deeper due to time left in half), and 4th was an incompletion where Cox was in Perry's face forcing him to throw off the back foot.

A 134 first half was good and our kids deserve some credit. You can simultaneously not like Grantham and give the kids credit for strip sacks and QB pressure. I do believe a great complaint is the failure to get a 3 and out in the first half.

Yeah...I think you are leaving out some important events in the picture you are trying to paint. That tripping, well...that was after 2 first downs. The first series of this possession, we called a defensive time out after the first play for them of the game. Let that sink in. And then remember the result of the play that we negated for that defensive time out after the first play by our defense in the game. They easily make their first downs even though Perry over threw a wide open WR who beat us our secondary. Perry over threw it. Our secondary got burned by an FAU WR but Perry over threw him. Stupid mistake by Perry. We got burned. Hits the next pass for an easy first down. Then comes the trip. The trip wasn't caused by us. It was a 1st and 10 play. Perry tripped over the running back for a loss. Yeah it was first down. They put themselves in a hole they couldn't get out of and you want to only really highlight the 3rd and forever hole FAU got themselves into where we send everyone to get Perry? Come on man...stop putting lipstik on this pig.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The qb thing is an issue now but we have a terrible USF game to figure it out (coach does anyway). It seems right now he has no intent on changing but who knows. The receiving core seems like an issue to me - some bad throws sure but plenty of drops against a poor opponent.

AR has tremendous upside, but he does need to master the offense, including checks and line calls. His talent demands playing time and I expect he will be the difference in several games.

The WRs need to step up ASAP - physically and mentally. If even one or 2 establish as a real threat it will help all as well as the QBs.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
AR has tremendous upside, but he does need to master the offense, including checks and line calls. His talent demands playing time and I expect he will be the difference in several games.

The WRs need to step up ASAP - physically and mentally. If even one or 2 establish as a real threat it will help all as well as the QBs.

I see this on Swamp Ass all the time and I don't get it. How can Jameis Winston master the fsu offense and win a Heisman, how can Johnny Manziel, Trevor Lawrence (a true freshman), Tim Tebow as a So, Chris Leak, Rex Grossman, the bama qb now, etc. That list goes on and on. There are second year players all over the college landscape who master the offense, or at least enough of it, to start and play WELL. What is holding AR 15 back?

Answer - Dan Mullenz

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Theo slurps the Mullinz D and will repeat whatever pumper nonsense makes him feel better about the neverending Mullinz stupidity.

Dont know the playbook
Secret commits
Dont need no stinkin talent
whatever

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I see this on Swamp Ass all the time and I don't get it. How can Jameis Winston master the fsu offense and win a Heisman, how can Johnny Manziel, Trevor Lawrence (a true freshman), Tim Tebow as a So, Chris Leak, Rex Grossman, the bama qb now, etc. That list goes on and on. There are second year players all over the college landscape who master the offense, or at least enough of it, to start and play WELL. What is holding AR 15 back?

Answer - Dan Mullenz

You’ve listed a number of exceptional people - who are exceptions. We will see whether or not AR is one. I hope so. He’s clearly a beast. Mullen seems to have in mind a transition like Leak->Tebow. That year Leak’s numbers were as good as his sophomore year under Fedora, but Tebow was the difference that sparked the NC (at QB).

I’m old enough to have watched in dismay as Wayne Williams, a solid SEC RB, started ahead of freshman Emmitt Smith. And I was there when Emmitt blew up Tulsa before blowing up Bama on the road. I was there when Bob Hewko made his stunning debut then when Wayne Peace began to wrest the starting job away from him. I was at Kerwin’s debut - a RS freshman walk-on starting against the defending NC and almost beating them.

I’d love to see AR go all Vince Young on Bama next week and dominate the SEC the next couple of years. If he’s that guy, he’ll force that issue.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I dont think it is a given that AR is the clear starter...yet. EJ had a bad game one of the first game of a season. I would like to let him go back out there and respond. Its not a matter of 'Mullen seniority' rule...yet. I hope, probably just like everyone of you, want to see EJ succeed. But, having two bad games against creampuffs will put me in the AR needs to start camp.

As for learning Mullen's offense...It looks pretty darn basic to me.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
You’ve listed a number of exceptional people - who are exceptions. We will see whether or not AR is one. I hope so. He’s clearly a beast. Mullen seems to have in mind a transition like Leak->Tebow. That year Leak’s numbers were as good as his sophomore year under Fedora, but Tebow was the difference that sparked the NC (at QB).

I’m old enough to have watched in dismay as Wayne Williams, a solid SEC RB, started ahead of freshman Emmitt Smith. And I was there when Emmitt blew up Tulsa before blowing up Bama on the road. I was there when Bob Hewko made his stunning debut then when Wayne Peace began to wrest the starting job away from him. I was at Kerwin’s debut - a RS freshman walk-on starting against the defending NC and almost beating them.

I’d love to see AR go all Vince Young on Bama next week and dominate the SEC the next couple of years. If he’s that guy, he’ll force that issue.

I am only addressing the issue of "knowing the playbook". I don't think anyone here believes Jameis Winston was some playbook study freak who mastered it after a full year. There are a bunch of second year starters who do well. The whole playbook excuse from sunshine pumpers is worn out.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I am only addressing the issue of "knowing the playbook". I don't think anyone here believes Jameis Winston was some playbook study freak who mastered it after a full year. There are a bunch of second year starters who do well. The whole playbook excuse from sunshine pumpers is worn out.
That's twice Rapeis was mentioned in this thread. Therefore, in according to the GCMB by-laws, the posting of this is required:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Yeah...I think you are leaving out some important events in the picture you are trying to paint. That tripping, well...that was after 2 first downs. The first series of this possession, we called a defensive time out after the first play for them of the game. Let that sink in. And then remember the result of the play that we negated for that defensive time out after the first play by our defense in the game. They easily make their first downs even though Perry over threw a wide open WR who beat us our secondary. Perry over threw it. Our secondary got burned by an FAU WR but Perry over threw him. Stupid mistake by Perry. We got burned. Hits the next pass for an easy first down. Then comes the trip. The trip wasn't caused by us. It was a 1st and 10 play. Perry tripped over the running back for a loss. Yeah it was first down. They put themselves in a hole they couldn't get out of and you want to only really highlight the 3rd and forever hole FAU got themselves into where we send everyone to get Perry? Come on man...stop putting lipstik on this pig.
To me it's pretty simple. The D-Line looks good which was expected considering the talent. The LB's, DB's, and scheme looked like the same crap as always. We will be marginally better on D but still bad when 3 out of 4 pieces are near the bottom of the league.

How's the D going to be this year? I still see choking dwag on the sidelines so there's your answer.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Fair enough. It shouldn’t be an excuse. Success with the playbook is in relation to talent. A freakishly talented guy doesn’t need as much of the playbook as another very capable QB might, especially in college. Jameis was able to overwhelm most college defenses because he is so talented. There has to be a baseline of knowledge, but they had to get him on the field.

AR looks way better at this stage of his career than Cam did, running and throwing. His upside is crazy. He may well do better with 25% installed vs. what EJ does with 75% or whatever.

I’d like to see EJ improve enough to make that decision hard and/or AR show he is the guy, whether that’s in week 3 or as we head into Jacksonville.

I don’t go to Swamp Gas or any other boards, just this one, btw.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Amen. Every year we see a variety of true fresh and sophs all over the country who come out and play very well, some fantastically. We NEVER see that at Florida, in fact we hardly see it here no matter the players time in the system. Trask is the only kid since tebow that was even worth remembering and he had been in the system a couple years before taking a meaningful in game snap.

Is there some elements of the type of system being run that helps? Yes. Is there some element of a players mental state, maturity, confidence, physical makeup that helps? Yes.

But by and large its the coaching and the program environment that results in underclassmen sinking or excelling. Dan's program is about as pathetic as Mac and Chumps is in that regard. He is no qb whisperer. He either is handed a generational talent who plays well or he isnt, but he isnt improving QBs. I dont know how anyone can look at his body of work and think hes really some great developer of QBs. His QBs basically play the same as underclassmen as they do seniors. And the program environment isnt elevating anyone's game either, especially when seniority being the primary driver for playing time is established and well known by all, including the players.

Dollars to donuts, put emory in a different system like ohio state, clemson, penn state, hell even fsu and he'd likely be immensely better. Dan and his system are holding us back, not spurring us forward.

QB whisper my ass.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To me it's pretty simple. The D-Line looks good which was expected considering the talent. The LB's, DB's, and scheme looked like the same crap as always. We will be marginally better on D but still bad when 3 out of 4 pieces are near the bottom of the league.

How's the D going to be this year? I still see choking dwag on the sidelines so there's your answer.
Here is a lesson for all you noobs.

Never doubt lagator's logic. He will make you look stupid and kick you in the nuts.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I really want to click the play button on that even though I know it will make me uncomfortable.
Go ahead, it's worth it. The link to sign up for the training course is below in the comments section. Donkey only charges $500.00 for the session if you mention you saw the advertisement on Gatorchatter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.