Truth Takes: Is Mullen Comparable to Zook?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes guys, I know it can be said that this is a fight over who is the biggest loser. However, there are many...De La Torre is the tweet I'm referencing btw...who openly act like Zook is a slur (not saying whether he should/shouldn't be), but feel that we are miles ahead of that now.
I see.

The Truth is you have to grade on a curve to get Mullinz up to Zook standards.

The easier schedule (FSY bring a dumpster fire) and the additional geographic cupcake game inflating Dopey Dan's wins is his only better stat.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I remember driving over to Oxford for a game that should have been great, Manning verses Grossman. The Gators played like they had stayed way too late at a Frat party the night before, especially Rex. The Grove was Okay as well as the Oxford town square. I don't gamble much so that was common but Beale Street saved the trip! I watch us play now and get flashbacks to that horrible game. I don't think it's increasing old age. We just don't play like a well oiled machine. Zooker was a worker/recruiter who couldn't see the big picture. Mullenz thinks he is smarter than everyone else, doesn't recruit, doesn't pay attention to detail and doesn't prepare for each game like it was of equal importance. Both coaches put basically the same product on the field. Ugh

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gun to my head, forced to choose who I'd rather go into a game with, I'd probably lean Mullen. But it wouldn't be by much, and that's also like saying I'd go lethal injection over the chair. Personally, I'd rather have neither. Really think hanging is probably underrated and the go-to there. I mean, at least you're outside. I imagine they'd do it in good weather. Assuming there's a crowd, at that high up, you may even catch a cleavage shot on the way out.

NoPumper666

Mar 4, 2021
Zook was better. /thread

FSU and Miami were fully operational Death Stars when Zook took over. But he managed to out recruit both of them in short order. Recruiting is pretty much the main thing that matters in college football. Zook did it, Mullen doesn’t. Pretty much seals the deal for me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zook was better. /thread

FSU and Miami were fully operational Death Stars when Zook took over. But he managed to out recruit both of them in short order. Recruiting is pretty much the main thing that matters in college football. Zook did it, Mullen doesn’t. Pretty much seals the deal for me.

Recruiting is integral, but not everything. Otherwise Zook and Muschamp would still be head coaches, not at a Swiffer convention and in an Athens areas Starbucks line respectively. You have to be able to handle gameday, player development and other aspects as well. I also think people sometimes romanticize about the recruiting of both RZ and WM without remembering where their 2005 and 2014 classes were when fired, both of which were a shell of what the classes that preceded them had been. That shine wears off and kids stop buying if you can't produce. Had either stayed we were not going to see classes like 2003/04 or 2012/13 again unless they became better overall coaches. Still way better than what Mullen has produced in that respect. No comparison.

Bottom line, neither of the coaches being compared have demonstrated the ability to handle the job at a place like UF. So the better question is which of these would better find a fit at a G5 or lower level P5 type school and be ok. That's where I say Mullen gets the nod.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting is integral, but not everything. Otherwise Zook and Muschamp would still be head coaches, not at a Swiffer convention and in an Athens areas Starbucks line respectively. You have to be able to handle gameday, player development and other aspects as well. I also think people sometimes romanticize about the recruiting of both RZ and WM without remembering where their 2005 and 2014 classes were when fired, both of which were a shell of what the classes that preceded them had been. That shine wears off and kids stop buying if you can't produce. Had either stayed we were not going to see classes like 2003/04 or 2012/13 again unless they became better overall coaches. Still way better than what Mullen has produced in that respect. No comparison.

Bottom line, neither of the coaches being compared have demonstrated the ability to handle the job at a place like UF. So the better question is which of these would better find a fit at a G5 or lower level P5 type school and be ok. That's where I say Mullen gets the nod.
The classes bomb when the hot seat talk starts. That’s why we just had our two highest ranked commits say cya.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The classes bomb when the hot seat talk starts. That’s why we just had our two highest ranked commits say cya.

Which raises the question, what would be worse. A guy like WM couldn’t win with a team littered with future NFL players. Same with Zook. What do you think their seasons would look like after a few bad classes and with less talent? That’s all I’m saying. No different than the offensive or defensive mindsets, incomplete coaching is incomplete coaching. Maybe packaged differently, but garbage nonetheless.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Which raises the question, what would be worse. A guy like WM couldn’t win with a team littered with future NFL players. Same with Zook. What do you think their seasons would look like after a few bad classes and with less talent? That’s all I’m saying. No different than the offensive or defensive mindsets, incomplete coaching is incomplete coaching. Maybe packaged differently, but garbage nonetheless.
Give me Zook over any of the other failures we’ve hired. With him, at least you knew you were getting maximum effort out of the team and some really solid recruiting. He left the program in good shape from a personnel standpoint.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Give me Zook over any of the other failures we’ve hired. With him, at least you knew you were getting maximum effort out of the team and some really solid recruiting. He left the program in good shape from a personnel standpoint.
Zooker wasn’t afraid to throw down on frat row…I’ll take that energy any day!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

There have been a lot of good points from both sides, and lucid arguments that, for many, probably hadn't yet been considered. The only thing that I think is a definite and we can all agree on is that Ron Zook still has several relatives in the state of Florida, including one or two that look a lot like Peter Griffin. I'm sure it's been admitted elsewhere in an earlier thread, but I really don't have the time right now to go look it up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Must-have for the next coach: Keg Throwing experience.

I'll say this. Back then we were always getting into fights at clubs, taking on entire fraternities, throwing kegs. Recently we're stealing credit cards to buy Sour Patch kids and getting into epic Twitter battles. Give me the former all day.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Zook > Muschamp > Mullen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shark Humper
I hate Butters as much as anyone, but see no reason to believe that Dan is any better than him. Both suck balls. In fact, I think it could be argued that Butters was a better recruiter. How? I have no idea, since Butters was legitimately retarded… but Dan is perhaps the worst recruiter we’ve seen at UF in many generations.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I hate Butters as much as anyone, but see no reason to believe that Dan is any better than him. Both suck balls. In fact, I think it could be argued that Butters was a better recruiter. How? I have no idea, since Butters was legitimately retarded… but Dan is perhaps the worst recruiter we’ve seen at UF in many generations.
Add that to a woke President and AD and there you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.