Truth Takes: Miz Zou

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Apologies for lack of LSU review. Drove from Red Stick to Alabama immediately after the game, slept less than 4 hours before driving from the Alabama Mississippi border to Clermont. Then couldn’t get out of bed Monday with dehydration and flu.

For my first (and maybe only) trip to Columbia, it was an interesting game. So interesting I am writing this on my cell phone after not sleeping and enjoying a plane ride home…before I drive to Georgia this afternoon.

I had a somewhat controversial take on Twitter (well, some found it controversial) this week that I shared here after the UGA game and applied after the LSU game. Our defense is bad, but when they get stops offense needs to score. LSU, for example, had we scored after several stops (or FG’s that even Donk says is a stop for this particular D), it might be a different game as an opportunity to lead early was there. We had that same issue. After a great initial drive, UF stopped Mizzou multiple times. At best, UF could’ve gone up 21-3. Or 14-3, or 17-3 or even 10-3. All changing the feel and dynamic of the game. Granted, our detailed oriented program kept getting penalties. Some players, some how the F do you get Delay of Game penalties after a penalty? Money is on playcaller taking forever to call a play.

Instead we went scoreless the rest of the half. We were once again obsessed with the horizontal game. Granted, at one point in the 2nd quarter if Mertz his Wilson in stride on a slant it’s a TD or at least a big gain. Instead the ball was behind and lucky not to be picked. Later we’d have a pick on an overthrow. Make no mistake, if Boardingham doesn’t touch it, the safety would’ve picked it.

Anyways, scoring on early stops puts pressure on the favorites and home teams, we don’t do that. We had them where we wanted them and let them off the hook (theme of the night).

The second half was much better as we shocked everyone on offense by feeding Ricky, Etienne and Wilson. Etienne even got multiple drives in a row after scoring a TD on an excellent catch and run.

Graham Mertz had the most gutsy run of his UF career and it unfortunately cost him. All the credit in the world for that run to pick up a big first down. Brown came in and outside of an early fumble, was better than most would have thought. His running dynamic changed the game.

The offense was amazing in the second half. Kept Mizzou on their heels, which is why I can’t believe we played for the FG when we did. We were moving the ball almost at will and then Billy went Scared Money when a 1st Down essentially wins the game. Had we not been moving the ball well, had I not known Mevis had a 60+ yard game winner this season so Mizzou wouldn’t need much with a minute or more left w/ or w/o a TO (told the Mizzou fans/college kids around me we’d try to run out the clock with them having 3 TO’s). If we run read options or one of a number of our gadget plays (most don’t involve throwing) and don’t get a first down, still could’ve kicked the FG after trying to win it.

On defense, the defense for the second game in a row where more than what I thought they’d be in the first half. If only they had support when they did get stops.

We know this defense isn’t getting many stops. No reason to keep hammering it, that’s a given. They did get a stop when necessary to give us a final drive. However, once we allowed Mizzou to have the ball with time, they did great for 3 downs. Cant ask for too much more than 4th and 17. Then it happened, and again, and again, where a long FG to win became a chip shot. In quite the opposite of what we did, Mizzou didn’t settle for FG range, but attacked for the most optimal situation.

I see a lot of Alabama 2021 moral victory type tweets. Seriously, for fun I looked up Will Miles tweet after that game and it looks eerily similar to the “fought til the end” narrative I see going around. Which isn’t a bad or incorrect take, but just in the moral victory framing (while saying there are no moral victories).

We didn’t get blown out like I thought was possible so that is something. However, at the end of the day, it’s wins and losses. Next week we have a chance to do a few things that would be great. Time will tell if we will or if we have a third straight losing season. I stand by my belief that losing seasons are not acceptable. Hopefully, we start to avoid that Saturday upsetting the clown school.

Go Gators!

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
tanks!
On D. We still can’t get lined up or look organized. Late calls getting in, players not learning calls, D scheme too much for all the freshman? Frustrating to see all the snaps with players looking at sidelines.
We had glimpses of an O in between turtle mode. Mertz had a few good passes in between high and late, but he was a rag doll back there. No team is going to expect the PA roll action right… almost a sack or tip every play.
Get the ball to your playmaker in space if you can.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Good point in that it's yet another game where there's a huge points drought after that first drive. It's baffling. Offense put up nearly 500 yards but could have put up a lot more.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Discombobulated.

2022-2023.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
How it started

bb4fc11332fcc2b0362161581e6ae466.jpg

How it’s going

IMG_9689.jpeg

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Napier is too risk adverse for Florida football.

I like a lot of what he has accomplished and I don’t think he’s lazy or unethical. Maybe overpaid, but he does seem to care about the players. But there is something missing. I hope he finds it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was thinking during the game that it's a good thing we have 2 O-line coaches or else we would've had 10 false starts.

It was an exciting game with a terrible end, but yet again, we shot ourselves in the foot too often to get the W. We are just a handful of plays away from 8 wins right now. Some might point to that as evidence that we're moving in the right direction but just a bit shy of the horse power we need to get going. I can't believe that right now.

All that said, we can still beat the noles next week. A night game in the Swamp can be a huge difference maker, and this team still has something to play for. Travis not playing helps, but of course Mertz would get hurt too. It's going to be an interesting game. Hopefully, this time with a more enjoyable outcome.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The offense was amazing in the second half. Kept Mizzou on their heels, which is why I can’t believe we played for the FG when we did. We were moving the ball almost at will and then Billy went Scared Money when a 1st Down essentially wins the game. Had we not been moving the ball well, had I not known Mevis had a 60+ yard game winner this season so Mizzou wouldn’t need much with a minute or more left w/ or w/o a TO (told the Mizzou fans/college kids around me we’d try to run out the clock with them having 3 TO’s). If we run read options or one of a number of our gadget plays (most don’t involve throwing) and don’t get a first down, still could’ve kicked the FG after trying to win it.
Everyone watching knew that you don't play for a field goal, leaving them 1:30+, with our defense, and their kicker. But Mizzo knew his tendencies.

This conservative, lack of killer instinct, "scared money", etc. approach to game management won't change with Karl hiring a new staff. It's who he is.

And for anyone paying attention, he's now Karl and / or Sunbelt Billy to me.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good point in that it's yet another game where there's a huge points drought after that first drive. It's baffling. Offense put up nearly 500 yards but could have put up a lot more.

Baffling to me is not running the ball or using Etienne in the first half when both were primed for a big second half. Run defense is not Missouri's forte.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

I like a lot of what he has accomplished and I don’t think he’s lazy or unethical. Maybe overpaid, but he does seem to care about the players. But there is something missing. I hope he finds it.
He plays Muschamp-ball without the defensive prowess. It’s maddening.

Granted, I didn’t think we’d win this game, I said as much in the prediction thread, but gd it, like Herm Edward’s said many years ago….You play to win the game. 3 handoffs in a row inside the red zone was no bueno.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
He goes for it on a 4th down with 11 minutes left. Gutsy or dumb call? But we got it so hero. Ends the game with lack of power formation.

The D is more confused than Mr/Mrs Jenner

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His time in Florida shows Scared money in the redzone, we're flat out terrible because of his play calling in the redzone.

Shame it takes strong rumors of his job on the line for him to finally show some emotions on the sideline and acted like he wanted to win. The team had the energy, but sun belt level coaches delivered another sun belt level game calling fiasco. Penalties/calling a TO after dead ball situations is a prime example of why this staff is in over their head at the SEC level.

Last edited:

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Apologies for lack of LSU review. Drove from Red Stick to Alabama immediately after the game, slept less than 4 hours before driving from the Alabama Mississippi border to Clermont. Then couldn’t get out of bed Monday with dehydration and flu.

For my first (and maybe only) trip to Columbia, it was an interesting game. So interesting I am writing this on my cell phone after not sleeping and enjoying a plane ride home…before I drive to Georgia this afternoon.

I had a somewhat controversial take on Twitter (well, some found it controversial) this week that I shared here after the UGA game and applied after the LSU game. Our defense is bad, but when they get stops offense needs to score. LSU, for example, had we scored after several stops (or FG’s that even Donk says is a stop for this particular D), it might be a different game as an opportunity to lead early was there. We had that same issue. After a great initial drive, UF stopped Mizzou multiple times. At best, UF could’ve gone up 21-3. Or 14-3, or 17-3 or even 10-3. All changing the feel and dynamic of the game. Granted, our detailed oriented program kept getting penalties. Some players, some how the F do you get Delay of Game penalties after a penalty? Money is on playcaller taking forever to call a play.

Instead we went scoreless the rest of the half. We were once again obsessed with the horizontal game. Granted, at one point in the 2nd quarter if Mertz his Wilson in stride on a slant it’s a TD or at least a big gain. Instead the ball was behind and lucky not to be picked. Later we’d have a pick on an overthrow. Make no mistake, if Boardingham doesn’t touch it, the safety would’ve picked it.

Anyways, scoring on early stops puts pressure on the favorites and home teams, we don’t do that. We had them where we wanted them and let them off the hook (theme of the night).

The second half was much better as we shocked everyone on offense by feeding Ricky, Etienne and Wilson. Etienne even got multiple drives in a row after scoring a TD on an excellent catch and run.

Graham Mertz had the most gutsy run of his UF career and it unfortunately cost him. All the credit in the world for that run to pick up a big first down. Brown came in and outside of an early fumble, was better than most would have thought. His running dynamic changed the game.

On defense, the defense for the second game in a row where more than what I thought they’d be in the first half. If only they had support when they did get stops.

We know this defense isn’t getting many stops. No reason to keep hammering it, that’s a given. They did get a stop when necessary to give us a final drive. However, once we allowed Mizzou to have the ball with time, they did great for 3 downs. Cant ask for too much more than 4th and 17. Then it happened, and again, and again, where a long FG to win became a chip shot. In quite the opposite of what we did, Mizzou didn’t settle for FG range, but attacked for the most optimal situation.

I see a lot of Alabama 2021 moral victory type tweets. Seriously, for fun I looked up Will Miles tweet after that game and it looks eerily similar to the “fought til the end” narrative I see going around. Which isn’t a bad or incorrect take, but just in the moral victory framing (while saying there are no moral victories).

We didn’t get blown out like I thought was possible so that is something. However, at the end of the day, it’s wins and losses. Next week we have a chance to do a few things that would be great. Time will tell if we will or if we have a third straight losing season. I stand by my belief that losing seasons are not acceptable. Hopefully, we start to avoid that Saturday upsetting the clown school.

Go Gators!

Go Gators!
Great Read! I couldn’t agree more. This is a pattern in a lot of our games under BN. I have called it a lack of killer instinct. I see the coaching playing it safe. Thinking back to the Tennessee game. Balls on fire in the first quarter and a half. Then we didn’t do squat in the second half. We didn’t have the high gear. It was like we down shifted and took the foot of the gas. We only play balls on fire if we are behind in the 4 minute drill. You don’t leave a wounded predator on the field. You kill it! Spurrier once said it’s my job to score. It’s your job to stop me. I know Spurrier isn’t coming back but these are the coaches that win. Look around college football the really good teams put the foot on the neck of the opponent and never take it off until they are assured of victory.

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Go Gators!

Go Gators!
Great Read! I couldn’t agree more. This is a pattern in a lot of our games under BN. I have called it a lack of killer instinct. I see the coaching playing it safe. Thinking back to the Tennessee game. Balls on fire in the first quarter and a half. Then we didn’t do squat in the second half. We didn’t have the high gear. It was like we down shifted and took the foot of the gas. We only play balls on fire if we are behind in the 4 minute drill. You don’t leave a wounded predator on the field. You kill it! Spurrier once said it’s my job to score. It’s your job to stop me. I know Spurrier isn’t coming back but these are the coaches that win. Look around college football the really good teams put the foot on the neck of the opponent and never take it off until they are assured of victory

Sadly not sure it’s something you find. You either have it or you don’t.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Lets see. Play #9 at their place and its senior day. We have injuries all over the lines. They should have killed us. Freshmen playing 26 graduating seniors. With a minute to go we are winning. He makes clutch long fourth down pass so super kicker wins it. Im amazed our team didnt give up and the young fellas did as welll as they did. Shows me character all over the field and coaching has something to do with that. We are just two playes from having two more wins. These FR are getting great experience. Killer instinct FFS you have to have some depth and experience to finally get to that point. I think playing as hard with so much adversity is a killer instinct. Our boys didnt quit.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Everything that happened, good or bad, for the first 58 minutes of the game can be critiqued up and down and see plenty of good, plenty of bad. But the last 2 minutes was purely situational football at its finest and the staff failed miserably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.