Tuesday Favorites.... Ethnic Cuisine

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Never checked out a Bolivian restaurant up there, but for Peruvian chicken my favorite was El Pollo Rico in Arlington.

half-chicken-with-2-sides.jpg

el-pollo-rico.jpg

Just another Mexican place /Detroit
He's borderline "strange looking mountain Mexican"

Serious question: are chickens in Peru smaller too?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Who knows, but I can't imagine they import the chicken.

Pretty sure some of our American chicken is shipped to China to be processed then shipped back here for sale. Blows my mind how on earth that's economical.

Alex.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure some of our American chicken is shipped to China to be processed then shipped back here for sale. Blows my mind how on earth that's economical.

Alex.
If this is true, I would guess it's possibly due to our trade deficit with China. Not very economical to send empty boats back so they may give a great rate for something like this.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There is a Peruvian chain called El Inka Grill that is pretty good. If you're curious what the food is like, their website has good descriptions: DR.PHILLIPS | MENU - El Inka Grill Ceviche

All the Brazilian places I've been to have been the "steakhouses" where you have the red/green card and they carve meat off the skewer onto your plate. They're OK, but I'm not convinced that's a particularly authentic Brazilian experience. A fairly new mom n pop Brazilian place opened up close to my work. I want to check it out and see what the food is like.

Alex.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
There is a Peruvian chain called El Inka Grill that is pretty good. If you're curious what the food is like, their website has good descriptions: DR.PHILLIPS | MENU - El Inka Grill Ceviche

All the Brazilian places I've been to have been the "steakhouses" where you have the red/green card and they carve meat off the skewer onto your plate. They're OK, but I'm not convinced that's a particularly authentic Brazilian experience. A fairly new mom n pop Brazilian place opened up close to my work. I want to check it out and see what the food is like.

Alex.

The Brazilian place on iDrive I was thinking about is Camila's--and there's a good Brazilian bakery right next door too for dessert. It's *always* packed with Brazilian tourists and I head there a lot with the lady and her mom (who's from Brazil).

The steakhouses are actually fairly authentic to what you'd have in Brazil (or South America at large) at a churrascuria steakhouse down there. They don't carve the meat in front of you down there, but it is all you can eat and similar types of steak too. The salad bars are miles better here btw.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Many years ago, a buddy and I went to this tourist trap in Orlando called Boston Lobster Feast. It had an all you can eat lobster buffet. My buddy had gone before so he had a plan. He had a discount coupon and we arrived between lunch and dinner when the price was lower than dinner but the lunch crowd was gone. We also didn't eat anything that day so we showed up starving.

I didn't eat anything but lobster tails and butter. That's it. Nothing else.

Was it great lobster? Nah.

Did I eat 9 tails? Yup. And I thoroughly enjoyed every bite.

Have I gone back since? Nope.

Alex.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Many years ago, a buddy and I went to this tourist trap in Orlando called Boston Lobster Feast. It had an all you can eat lobster buffet. My buddy had gone before so he had a plan. He had a discount coupon and we arrived between lunch and dinner when the price was lower than dinner but the lunch crowd was gone. We also didn't eat anything that day so we showed up starving.

Alex.
'merica!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
That's just these evil capitalists trying to get you to eat less of the meat.
There was a chain of buffet restaraunts (Quincys? Ryan's? ) that had fresh, piping hot, melt in your mouth yeast rolls smothered in butter that got me everytime. I told myself to limit the rolls and concentrate on the pork/beef/chicken but I always failed. Damned good rolls.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
There was a chain of buffet restaraunts (Quincys? Ryan's? ) that had fresh, piping hot, melt in your mouth yeast rolls smothered in butter that got me everytime. I told myself to limit the rolls and concentrate on the pork/beef/chicken but I always failed. Damned good rolls.

Quincy’s - Home of the Big Fat Yeast Roll was their slogan

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Alex.

We don’t get to eat seafood as much as we would like so when I go home dad spoils us. New Years week he got 24 Maine and Florida lobsters and I ate 4 alone. Purely a vehicle for getting butter and lemon ingested!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ryans probably. Had one in Gville on north main. Dad took the grandkids there often

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Quincy was behind Red Lobster off Newberry road.
Ryans was on north main just past 23rd ave.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
i made the Steak and Ale on Archer Rd. maybe twice. Ponderosa seemed to be on south 13th but it always seemed to meld with all those other chain steakhouses, The first in Gville was at the corner of Univ ave and 34th st. I think Sizzlin was in the name. Long ago.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
1) central Italian
2) southern Italian
3) northern Italian

Honorable mention for Latin(specifically Cuban and Dominican). I put a great roast pork, rice and beans and tostones up there with just about anything. French and Thai would also be in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.