Tuesday Favorites...Gas Stations

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
But I see people pulling in to a space, not by a pump, to get sodas, chips, smokes, etc. What I don't understand is surely this isn't the first time you realized you needed those things. Why weren't they purchased elsewhere at a fraction of the cost and brought from home. How has this stop added convenience? It's a total lack of preparation and/or discipline. I feel the same with places like Starbucks, or any popular coffee place. I see drive thru lines wrapped around the building and people frantically grabbing their pre-ordered order on the way to work then fighting to get out of the parking lot. Do these people not own a coffee maker? You can buy their coffee at Publix for far less, and make an even better version of it at home in under 2 min. Time, money, stress. There are so many ways that these moves are counterproductive and make no sense.

Back to the original subject, I used to love Coastal when I had my first car. I don't think it was actually even gas, but it worked and was always the cheapest.

Our road trips always consist of twizzlers and gummy bears. It's the only time we eat them and they are always expected by the kids and adults alike. I forgot them on our last road trip and ran into the gas station to stock up but they were more than double the price. I felt sick paying that much before I even ate them.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Never really had a favorite, but driving a lot for work I usually hit the nicer ones like Busy Bee, Buccee’s and such because of clean bathrooms and good snack selection.

In college the golden pantry was amazing at 2 AM drunk. Line out the door as they served fried chicken and biscuits.

my dad’s office was over half an hour away. He would drive there on the weekends for his coffee to talk to the regulars

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What is this Sheetz you all speak of? I thought the first person was joking. :lol:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I’m always amazed at the people I see going in and coming out of gas stations while I’m at the pump. Given modern technology, outside of just wanting to wait in line to also purchase a handful of unnecessary items at 3 times the standard cost, what on earth could possibly possess someone to do such a thing?
My son is a huuuuge fan of Quik Trip. Is it because of the cheap gas or clean bathrooms you ask? No; it’s the food. That’s right the food. And yes, he is very appreciative of the gourmet meals that come out of our kitchen. He laps up every bit of it, gushing compliments, and as you might expect from a 6’3” 20 y.o., can usually be counted on to have seconds. And a few hours later will get a QT “brat.”
It takes a lot of effort to not not criticize him - after all, I ate many a 7-11 beef and bean burrito when I was his age - but I’m still thinking QT? Really? Damn!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually walking into a gas station store is ultra rare for me. On a normal day or week or month, there is simply zero reason too.

To further sofla’s post, I cringe in the morning when these huge group of landscaping truck dudes walking out with multiple bags of chips, snacks, cases of water, and smokes. Especially when a Publix is next door and Walmart is across the street.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Most of the time I do not stop at the quicky marts... Growing up in a small town the Handy Way was the only store for 10-15 miles in all directions so we used it a lot.

I might go into a WaWa or Thorntons once in a while, and after visiting the family in Gainesville we get gas at Le Store (no longer called this) off of Williston, top off the tank and get last minute snacks for the road.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m always amazed at the people I see going in and coming out of gas stations while I’m at the pump. Given modern technology, outside of just wanting to wait in line to also purchase a handful of unnecessary items at 3 times the standard cost, what on earth could possibly possess someone to do such a thing?

I never pay at the pump. Got skimmed once so I always pay inside now.

Im not sure how secure apple or google pay is at the pump but I'd be open to that

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Im not sure how secure apple or google pay is at the pump but I'd be open to that

If you are paying with a chipped card and pass code the likely-hood of skimming working is incredibly low. The problem is most people with chipped cards do not use the security features they present.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I get that. Happened to my mother once and was a pain. But if the card is chipped, you should be ok. In any event, I just can't handle waiting in line while fatties and neck-tat degenerates buy their sodas, chips, Black & Milds and lotto tickets, feeling the whole time that I could get shanked for my watch by one of them. It's just risk/reward to me.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I get that. Happened to my mother once and was a pain. But if the card is chipped, you should be ok. In any event, I just can't handle waiting in line while fatties and neck-tat degenerates buy their sodas, chips, Black & Milds and lotto tickets, feeling the whole time that I could get shanked for my watch by one of them. It's just risk/reward to me.

So what do you do when you are at Lincoln Financial Field?

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Racetrac is usually much more convenient for me. They are usually low price. If I'm going inside a gas station, its Buccees for a bbq brisket sammich. I got skimmed once just before chip cards became a thing. Until recently I was given gas cards from some events and I liked not worrying about skimmers. I use gasbuddy app sometimes to find stations and prices. I use 87 in the truck and 93 in the Miata.

Q: What size fuel tank should doomsday preppers have at home?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
To those of you that mentioned Buccees….. OMG!

That’s a tourist attraction. It’s a Costco, Cabelas and Cracker Barrel on steroids all inside an airport terminal. Everyone walks around with their eyes bulging out of their head in disbelief. This “gas station” makes the Pilot and Loves look like a mini-mart.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
To those of you that mentioned Buccees….. OMG!

That’s a tourist attraction. It’s a Costco, Cabelas and Cracker Barrel on steroids all inside an airport terminal. Everyone walks around with their eyes bulging out of their head in disbelief. This “gas station” makes the Pilot and Loves look like a mini-mart.

We're pulling up stakes in Denver and moving to Texas in November... I hear that Buccees are big down there.
Wonder if they allow open carry? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.