Two Year Anniversary of the firing of our beloved Butters

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Zook was never even competent as a coordinator. His defenses and offenses were known for falling apart innthe second half, the key criteria of a terrible coach.

Other than being a friend of Jeremy Foley, and nothing else on his resume that suggested head coach and he would never have been hired by anyone else. Both of the other two were going to get hired somewhere.
?All three were hired, two by P5 schools.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
?All three were hired, two by P5 schools.
One would have never been, but for Fooley pimping him constantly and lamenting having to fire him before he would have won an NC according to the Fooley Failful.

Zook wasn't even on anyone's list for coordinator. The other two were "prime" candidates whose name came up in basically every search.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Zook was never even competent as a coordinator. His defenses and offenses were known for falling apart innthe second half, the key criteria of a terrible coach.

Other than being a friend of Jeremy Foley, and nothing else on his resume that suggested head coach and he would never have been hired by anyone else. Both of the other two were going to get hired somewhere.
Ron Zook was going to be fired as DC of the New Orleans Saints at the end of the season if UF hadn't come along. There was no justification for the hire, absolutely none. He was a terrible DC and a terrible ST coach.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You say because of his demeanor it was hard for him to be a head coach, but on a day to day basis, does he really effect a team that much? Doesn't it still come down to X's & O's and Jimmy's & Joe's?

“When the other team has good coaching and as much or more talent, yeah it matters. Like before Georgia, we barely lost to LSU and Texas A&M but we're still in the running to win our division and we need to win this game. We hear all the BS the week leading up to the game, but this is Georgia, we want a piece of them, so we're in the locker-room getting psyched up. Players are jumping around, going around to lockers and getting everyone hype and everyone had forgotten about all the BS off the field that week and we were ready to hit the field. Then here comes MAC, instead of talking about how this is one of our big rivals and if we win it we still got a chance to reach all our goals and getting us fired up to play, all he talked about right before the game was what was going on with him and the rumors of him getting fired. Instead of letting us put that to the side and focus on the game, he made all the BS about him the center point. He was like, 'don't worry about me, put your mind on the game.' It's like, we already did that, now you brought it back up. The atmosphere in the room went from a 10 to a two. It wasn't only you could see guys reaction to it, some guys were speaking out about it, how is he going to bring all that BS up. This is about us playing a game today. Going in we were hyped up ready to play and he took all the air out of us. Look how flat we were. We were ready for it to be over after he talked to us pre-game. Then when we saw the pictures of him laughing coming off the field, we were ready for his ass to be out of there.”

The full interview:

Full Mac article from anonymous players

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
You say because of his demeanor it was hard for him to be a head coach, but on a day to day basis, does he really effect a team that much? Doesn't it still come down to X's & O's and Jimmy's & Joe's?

“When the other team has good coaching and as much or more talent, yeah it matters. Like before Georgia, we barely lost to LSU and Texas A&M but we're still in the running to win our division and we need to win this game. We hear all the BS the week leading up to the game, but this is Georgia, we want a piece of them, so we're in the locker-room getting psyched up. Players are jumping around, going around to lockers and getting everyone hype and everyone had forgotten about all the BS off the field that week and we were ready to hit the field. Then here comes MAC, instead of talking about how this is one of our big rivals and if we win it we still got a chance to reach all our goals and getting us fired up to play, all he talked about right before the game was what was going on with him and the rumors of him getting fired. Instead of letting us put that to the side and focus on the game, he made all the BS about him the center point. He was like, 'don't worry about me, put your mind on the game.' It's like, we already did that, now you brought it back up. The atmosphere in the room went from a 10 to a two. It wasn't only you could see guys reaction to it, some guys were speaking out about it, how is he going to bring all that BS up. This is about us playing a game today. Going in we were hyped up ready to play and he took all the air out of us. Look how flat we were. We were ready for it to be over after he talked to us pre-game. Then when we saw the pictures of him laughing coming off the field, we were ready for his ass to be out of there.”

The full interview:

Full Mac article from anonymous players
I've got a terrible cold but that glass of Stagg Jr went down nicely last night as I toasted the anniversary of his firing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And its only been two years and a couple of months since our last raise and extension for Butters.

Promised by Fooley and Strick said he felt he had to honor it.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Zook was as garbage as Chump or Butters. He could recruit and had a decent offense and defense. He just couldn't call a good game half the time so instead of being elite the Gators were average Meyer fixed that quickly.

The guys post Meyer were horrific hires and to this day I can't decide who was worse. Chump for not once trying to fix the offense or Butters for the hot yoga training program and running off the best talent he had.

OSU did it right they replaced a legend with a legend when they brought Meyer in. Now they replaced a legend with the hot OC, seems to be working out ok.

Hiring the right head football coach is the single hardest thing an AD will do.
Zook and Kirby Shart have a lot in common.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I actually checked that one to be sure...........
in a state of extreme happiness.
"I felt exalted and newly alive"

Yes. There is quite a distinction between feeling exalted (I might have said elated) and being exalted by others.

We still love you but do not exalt you.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I actually checked that one to be sure...........
in a state of extreme happiness.
"I felt exalted and newly alive"

Be careful not to peak too early this week, coach. Saturday is a big day....

f v c k uga

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@CU-UF

:waiting:

waiting patiently for his response. perhaps I should go back to the month of October and see who really held on to their Butterslove.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How did this anniversary slip by me. I’ve got the perfect gift for him.

upload_2019-10-30_18-44-53.jpeg Wet, chunky, poop in a can. Sprayed with condensed hobo farts. The poop comes with a note that reads "Have a Sh*tty Day".

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Very entertaining thread, overall. I laughed reading thru it.

Mac's offenses were an abortion. Outside of 7 quarters with Grier, it was atrocious. I don't really care about his overall record. He benefited from some great defenses. He came here to fix the offense, but in my honest opinion, I'd rather have Muschamp's offenses. It was a disorganized, sh!t show under Mac. By far the worst coach that I've ever seen. I know we hate him, but Muschamp would actually coach circles around Mac. And I'm in no way saying Muschamp is a good coach. He isn't. But Mac is that bad. He literally did nothing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator