UF Announces Dan Mullen as HC $36 Million over 6 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I live and breath Florida. That's not the point. With some of the things he's said over the years about us ("lateral move" for example) it isn't about being a Gator. He doesn't give a damn about that. Its about the money. This is a BAD hire when its on that basis alone. Screw him.

And I assume that if Kelly came here, he would have been all Gator.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Damm that some Perry Mason stuff there. Paul Drake should be all in this.
Just hate all the stats thrown around - stats always need context. If stats were the be all, end all, Spurrier would have been exactly as successful at South Carolina as he was at Florida.

Nov 26, 2017
I remember going to a
Just hate all the stats thrown around - stats always need context. If stats were the be all, end all, Spurrier would have been exactly as successful at South Carolina as he was at Florida.

This is why I researched the Mississippi State records for the 9 year stretch before Mullen got there and posted them side-by-side. He looks pretty damn good to me. 69-46 (33-39 SEC) vs. 37-69 (17-55).

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Just such a total letdown to end the year and deflator. There are at least 5 better choices still in the board that we should of kicked the tires on. This just screams desperation or was the plan all along. At least some of the other names are better at recruiting

I give you that there seems to of been better choices. I don't understand the sudden choice. But I totally disagree with the venom and hate that is being spewed here and the assertion that he can't win here.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Who said I wanted Kelly at the outset....I complained about his red flags from the beginning.....

I'm not saying your were calling for Kelly, I'm calling you out for criticizing Mullin for making a business decision.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Mullen knows Florida. That has to be a positive. He knows the situation here and where we can improve as program I would think. Go gators!

Big Cat Daddy

Nov 7, 2017
You have to remember, Kelly nor Frost wanted to be here. We won plenty with Coach Mullen before. Meyer fell apart when he left. Mullen wanted the job, he knows that we have ******* fans and still came.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
OK, Ive had some time to think about this and Im on board with Mullen. What hes done and where he has done it is pretty impressive. Every year Miss St nearly beats or beats Bama, when was the last time we can say we did that? Oh yea, when he was running the UF offense. Lets take a step back and look at our options.....we whiffed on and/or walked away from Kelly for whatever reason, if we are offering 7 million for Mullen we had to be in the 5-6 range for CK and he took much less with the Cali state tax multiplier, that to me doesnt scream CK deciding. Frost was never going anywhere else but Nebraska, whats available after that, Norvell, another crap conference coach...no thanks.

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I guess we'll find out what happens with Mullen at the helm. Gonna be hard to watch. Unless you like QB runs up the middle.

Really if we are winning.... unlike the crap we have had the last 6 plus years. I'll take winning every time. I just want to win.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Long time lurker here. I wanted to run this up the flagpole.

I'm not a huge fan of the hire, but it's what I've expected from day one, so I've wrapped my head around it. Allow me to make the case.

1. Meyer's pre-UF success involved a partnership with Mullen. Impressive records, offenses, QBs.
2. He was UF's OC for four seasons. Offense improved every year.
2005-Early struggles, Leak is not an option QB, Mullen cobbles together some solutions, Outback Bowl, success.
2006-Mullen recruits/develops the GOAT option QB and weaves him expertly into a hybrid offense of his own design, natty.
2007-Mullen's QB in full control, record setting offense, Heisman.
2008-Offense is a runaway train, should've been another Heisman, natty.
3. The moment Mullen leaves UF the offense, even with TT at the helm, regresses.
4. Mullen has elevated MSU and probably reached that program's ceiling. I haven't researched this assertion, and I'm open to being proven wrong. It feels like he has made them a consistent top 25 team. I don't believe they ever were before. He has found and developed QBs that weren't can't miss 5 stars.

That's my argument. I could name five guys I would be more excited about, but I'm going to jump on the CDM train and hope it goes back to the promised land. Unfortunately, I don't think we're likely to know for two years. Oh well.

I love your avatar! Man that pic of Stardust brings back memories...Terry Funk, Kevin Sullivan, the Masked Assasain. A blast from my childhood. :)

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm not saying your were calling for Kelly, I'm calling you out for criticizing Mullin for making a business decision.

Seven million would bring Vince Lombardi back from the dead to take that deal. Yeah, he made a business decision. What is your point. My point is this is a panic hire with other more innovative offensive minds out there for the picking. Now I get to watch a retro 70's plodder offense pop warner coaches can read. I may be a Gator through and through but that doesn't mean I have to drink the kool aide without thinking about the consequences of the hire. Like I said before the message board rules don't say I have to like a damn thing. I"m here to speak my mind and not call ANYONE out for speaking theirs.

Nov 26, 2017
I don't follow recruiting like you all do, so I decided to educate myself. Per Rivals team rankings (which go back to 2002), the average Mississippi State class was ranked #31. Prior to his arrival they ranked 36th, so again Mullen did better than his predecessors. In his four years at Florida we were ranked 15, 2, 1, and 3. Obviously, Urban Meyer gets the most credit as the head guy but is there actually evidence that Mullen can't recruit or are we all just unhappy first and coming up with reasons second? Sounds like everyone is just in the mood to bitch.

ncargat1

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like Billy G, Hevesy, and Grantham will be for sure joining Mullen...Grantham is DC and LB coach at MSU so maybe this means no more Shannon and his 2 star specials :sohappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.