UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So, if we brought in this guy who is a smartass, offensive savant, wears and throws a visor, runs up the score, beats top teams who have more talent, is stocked with pro style QB's, and normally wins 10 or so games a season and we allow him to hire BN quantity staffers and provide him all the perks of a top tier program. How do you think he would do? Who's your number 1 if not Lane Kiffen?

Lots of similarities in personalities, but one critical difference. Spurrier wasn’t content to just have a good offensie. He insisted on winning. And yeah, he took shots at rivals sometimes, but usually in off-season speaking tours, not game week. No real idea in my #1 target, but I love the idea of bringing in Pantoni from Osu as AD, and letting that be a segue to Day.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
I actually have no real issue with his defense, because I do think he’s constantly undermanned and would have much better talent to work with at a better school. To me the biggest concern is that he has become known as sort of the class clown. I’m not sure he’s taken very serious, and that more than anything has affected his ability to recruit, as you have complete assassin’s like Smart and Saban who are all business. It’s fun to joke around, but I do think they use it against him, especially with families of recruits. Do you want a coach who’s developing your son for the NFL and winning, or do you want a coach looking for the next great meme to troll someone on Twitter?

I do think he could do well here, but he wouldn’t be my top choice.
I know the bar has been lowered severely but to me the fact that Kiffin consistently seeks to hire the best coordinators he can is miles ahead of what we have had since 2010. I am not saying that he should be the next UF coach, but I want a head coach that will hire the absolute best staff he can find always. In that respect, I think Kiffin is like Saban, Kirby, and Dabo minus the rings. Lincoln Riley is a lot like Kiffin was 15 years ago, an elite player caller who doesn’t understand the value of good assistants.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Strickland is obviously a jackass. Has a horrible track record when it comes to Football. He was getting clowned yesterday on XM radio for our 2024 schedule. Doe ring was saying that it was the hardest schedule he has ever seen, that Spurrier would have never allowed a schedule like this to ever come to fruition. Went on to say that any of the preseason top ten next year would lose three games with our schedule next year. Good Luck Billy.
I haven't seen any proof or heard anything of Scott stricklin being on the hots

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Strickland is obviously a jackass. Has a horrible track record when it comes to Football. He was getting clowned yesterday on XM radio for our 2024 schedule. Doe ring was saying that it was the hardest schedule he has ever seen, that Spurrier would have never allowed a schedule like this to ever come to fruition. Went on to say that any of the preseason top ten next year would lose three games with our schedule next year. Good Luck Billy.
Absolutely brutal schedule. I would not be shocked if they'll need a M*A*SH* unit to follow them around. With the addition of Texas and Oklahoma it will not be easier for anyone. aTM being in Gainesville was a surprise. It always seems we get the short straw with them and always at College Station. They definitely did not do us any favors with that schedule.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
There was a lot to like before we teed up the first game. While I was turned off by the country bumpkin linguists I thought the message resonated. I went to his first appearance at the Lakeland Gator club and was impressed with what seemed to be excellent command of the job and his plan was clearly around development of quality young men. After several years of losing with losers I was ready for UF to put forth a competitive team of responsible young men who would either make the league or have successful professional careers in business. I will admit I did not deep dive into BN's past. He won at ULL and left as the champion. I was all in.

I purchased season tickets for the first time and kept them thru this season. The opening game against highly ranked Utah was thrilling, yet foretelling! The false promise of the opening game came crashing down against the Wildcats then confirmed against an overmatched USF team. At this point every single piece of evidence that BN isn't able to manage the game in real time was on full display. The first season was a disaster that many of us blamed on AR15, Mullen, Grantham, weak roster, blah, blah, blah!

Good recruiting class, a couple of pick-up (losses too) in the portal had me hoping the warts of season 1 were the leftovers of Mullen stench and not the foreshadow of BN stench. Damn we sucked balls all season. There is no rational reasoning to support enabling this hayseed to rearrange the deck chairs only to hit another iceberg.

At this point all hope is lost until, if ever, the leadership decides football is important and replaces the people who made the decision to hire BN and we close this chapter.
There was enough evidence from his first year here to tell that Karl could not cut it. This year was absolutely predictable based on last years coaching.

And if hiring a 30 year old DC that looked like he should be playing Pokemon instead of coaching football didn't destroy your confidence, I don't know what would.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
There’s still a stigma about giving coaches less than a third season. I think that’s what has kept Napier safe. We bought a story about the conditions he inherited and many are still on that narrative.
We bought the story for a while because it was true. (Let’s not forget that the football facility was still under construction, the players housing and food was ordinary at best, and recruiting had a season instead of being 24/7/365.) Those that are still on that narrative however, have clearly chosen to ignore a great deal of CBN’s decision making, both on the field during games and during the asst. coach hiring process.

I’m usually among the last to say fire the coach, but I just can’t see how things are likely to improve in the win-loss department under this regime. Firing a coach usually sets a program back for a bit, and we’d probably lose a bunch of commits, but we might as well get it over with.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last I saw, our 2024 schedule was rated #1 most difficult in the nation.

Good things & bad things don't tend to return to their putative normal balance in that situation.

I didn't say it would happen, would bet against it. But the question was, what could save him...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mehhh.... I actually feel a lot more melancholy when I realize everyone else is finally sees what I saw from the beginning.

The right stance is "jump in... the water is fine".

I have far less patience with people who ignore obvious evidence (prior resume) vs those who just arent into X's and O's or believe it's impossible to understand.

Or the people going his offense and system sucks, but he is going to change it with Florida athletes..... like it was going to change with the new job.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Mehhh.... I actually feel a lot more melancholy when I realize everyone else is finally sees what I saw from the beginning.

The right stance is "jump in... the water is fine".

I have far less patience with people who ignore obvious evidence (prior resume) vs those who just arent into X's and O's or believe it's impossible to understand.
I’ve liked a lot of what he’s done - or at least reports of what he’s done - in terms of building the staff, culture etc.

But…The culture seems to be:

Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes.

Let’s say they got those 2-3 plays that left us 7-5 or even 8-4 with a rivalry win over an admittedly limping f$u. There would be a much happier buzz, but that’s only acceptable on a path to contending status. Do these guys - players and staff - get that? Or would that have led to an offseason of false positives while enjoying our elite facilities?

There’s a lack of urgency. If a losing record drives pants-on-fire effort all offseason that produces marked improvement top to bottom, including changes to X’s and O’s, then his process would work. If not, and why would this offseason be any different, then more of the same. They all watched Swamp Kings. Get the memo. Panic button time.

He lost you at “Hello.” He hasn’t lost the players yet, as far as I can tell as of today*. But he will if he leads them into more of the same. He’s got to beat scUM, UCF and go at least 4-4 in conference against a tough schedule while showing real progress. Unlikely, but that’s the minimum.

* Etienne, Wilson &/or James transferring will spell disaster.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Who's your number 1 if not Lane Kiffen?

That’s the tough question. I’ll stick with not Lane Kiffin, because nothing short of a top-tier coach will do. We need the next Kirby. But I’d take UM3 back in an heartbeat and include succession planning in his job description.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think pretty much anyone that watched his teams at ULL realized it wouldn't translate. Then most of us tried to convince ourselves otherwise after we hired him.
It became apparent pretty quickly that Billy’s greatest redeeming quality was the efforts toward changing the team and program’s culture. No denying there was some toxicity from the previous regimes that still lingered and Billy’s attention to these changes provided a little comfort, a distraction really, even in the face of a losing record. The strong drug of “hope” kept alive the notion that eventually all the good citizens we have on the roster would morph into an effective team and winning would begin and take its rightful place. Didn’t happen. In fact it just got worse this second season. Billy was actually telling us, without “telling” us, by his staff assignments and the predominance of young analysts who were not very long on actual coaching experience. But the biggest tell for me was the defensive suckage that was on display weekly with no changes. That was our sign.

I’ll admit to having looked past Billy’s Sunbelt resume and P5 OC failure, giving him a pass as a solid moral dude who looked, on the surface at least, as being organized, detail-oriented, young and energetic at 44, and appreciative of this great opportunity he was being afforded. He was also following Douche-Bag Dan, so the “anything’s better” tag was in play. But I’ve since been reminded of a high school coach that was hired when I was AD (against my recommendation - I recommended and we could have hired a guy that went on to win 3 titles) who was young and rising, coming off of a state final game appearance, and wanted to hire a staff that was all younger than him so he could “train them“ in his ways and tactics. The guy inherited a good team and made the playoffs, but then racked up four consecutive losing seasons before he was eventually fired. The youthful staff he put together pretty much imploded. The similarity between that and Billy‘s tenure thus far is striking. It is a shame that the only redeeming value that appears to remain is the salvage of a recruiting class. Every minute we wait before making the necessary and inevitable change just adds to the distance we have to recover in order to be relevant in the conference and national title contention.

Aug 5, 2014
There was enough evidence from his first year here to tell that Karl could not cut it. This year was absolutely predictable based on last years coaching.

And if hiring a 30 year old DC that looked like he should be playing Pokemon instead of coaching football didn't destroy your confidence, I don't know what would.
During some of the games he may have just been playing Pokemon as it did not appear much coaching was going on....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve liked a lot of what he’s done - or at least reports of what he’s done - in terms of building the staff, culture etc.

Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes. Get punched in the mouth, group hug, talk about cleaning up mistakes.

Let’s say they got those 2-3 plays that left us 7-5 or even 8-4 with a rivalry win over an admittedly limping f$u. There would be a much happier buzz, but that’s only acceptable on a path to contending status. Do these guys - players and staff - get that? Or would that have led to an offseason of false positives while enjoying our elite facilities?

There’s a lack of urgency. If a losing record drives pants-on-fire effort all offseason that produces marked improvement top to bottom, including changes to X’s and O’s, then his process would work. If not, and why would this offseason be any different, then more of the same. They all watched Swamp Kings. Get the memo. Panic button time.

He lost you at “Hello.” He hasn’t lost the players yet, as far as I can tell as of today*. But he will if he leads them into more of the same. He’s got to beat scUM, UCF and go at least 4-4 in conference against a tough schedule while showing real progress. Unlikely, but that’s the minimum.

In year 3, the minimum is to go 4-4 in conf play? I dont care what our schedule looks like. In year 3 at florida you better be winning a lot more than you're losing or you deserve to be locked out of the football facilities. 4-4 in conf in year 3 should get him fired and forever hated by our fan base. And i use the word should, because he should be standing in the unemployment line now, instead of cashing another fat check at the program's expense.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Theo, he lost me from the start due to his history... as I said in an earlier post, he isn't a bad coach, he is a good coach. He is very likable and is organized when it comes to his plan. What we see on gameday is a microcosm of how he handles all his organizational planning. When it comes to his plan it's solid, first drive of the game, usually well called. It what happens at the end of that plan or if he is forced to deviate from that plan is where issues arise.

I have talked to the man a few times, likable guy, organized guy, detailed guy to a point. He is a manager trying to be a leader, but not a leader. That's not a knock on him, just not who he is. He is a teacher, dude loves to teach. When he talks about teaching his players and his coaches, his face changes expression it's his passion. When he says he is proud of his team, coaches, etc... that is the real him. After coaches that throw their players under the bus (McElwain and Mullen) that is a nice change of pace. Much like his offensive system, he doesn't have the killer instinct. When an opponent is down, he doesn't have the step on their throat mentality. That's great if you are coaching at Vandy, but not in the top tier of football.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I have been saying that same thing about the 2024 schedule. The league knows where the incompetence resides and they stuck it to Scottie and he was grateful for it.
I believe that he has sabotaged his own program without realizing that he has jeopardized his own future at UF. He must be fired regardless of how Napier performs next season.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm to the point where none of this matters. This is not a serious program.

I read an article a few years back about Adam Sandler how he was making silly movies for his core audience and was basically running huge budgets for him and his friends and since he has a good audience they would make out ok. They reviewed the movie Jack and Jill which cost 75 million to make. Sandler got 25 off the top and his buddies got a nice payday. Then they used product placement to basically pay for the movie and everyone made money. These aren't serious movies, they aren't going for Oscars. The fans accept his movies and everyone makes a little money on the side.

That's where we are right now. We have the TV contracts, dedicated fan base who only wants to watch a game, and everyone gets a little richer. No one is harmed, everything is safe, and nothing is serious.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Theo, he lost me from the start due to his history... as I said in an earlier post, he isn't a bad coach, he is a good coach. He is very likable and is organized when it comes to his plan. What we see on gameday is a microcosm of how he handles all his organizational planning. When it comes to his plan it's solid, first drive of the game, usually well called. It what happens at the end of that plan or if he is forced to deviate from that plan is where issues arise.

I have talked to the man a few times, likable guy, organized guy, detailed guy to a point. He is a manager trying to be a leader, but not a leader. That's not a knock on him, just not who he is. He is a teacher, dude loves to teach. When he talks about teaching his players and his coaches, his face changes expression it's his passion. When he says he is proud of his team, coaches, etc... that is the real him. After coaches that throw their players under the bus (McElwain and Mullen) that is a nice change of pace. Much like his offensive system, he doesn't have the killer instinct. When an opponent is down, he doesn't have the step on their throat mentality. That's great if you are coaching at Vandy, but not in the top tier of football.
^this... it's why I said before that as a manager, he needs to make sure he's hiring leaders if he has any shot of surviving.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

I read an article a few years back about Adam Sandler how he was making silly movies for his core audience and was basically running huge budgets for him and his friends and since he has a good audience they would make out ok. They reviewed the movie Jack and Jill which cost 75 million to make. Sandler got 25 off the top and his buddies got a nice payday. Then they used product placement to basically pay for the movie and everyone made money. These aren't serious movies, they aren't going for Oscars. The fans accept his movies and everyone makes a little money on the side.

That's where we are right now. We have the TV contracts, dedicated fan base who only wants to watch a game, and everyone gets a little richer. No one is harmed, everything is safe, and nothing is serious.
I'd be really happy to get to "Grandma's Boy" level.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Which is the way college football (and sports in general) should be. Go get dressed up watch the game then go home and cure cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.