UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

From the UPDATE, not the Bio. Could be wrong. But that's what it says.

Gators Sign Veteran Badgers WR Dike​

Gators quarterback Graham Mertz will have a familiar target in 2024: his former Wisconsin teammate Chimere Dike.
The Gators signed Dike from the transfer portal on Wednesday afternoon, their fourth addition from the portal.
Dike is a 6-foot, 184-pound receiver who played in 44 games at Wisconsin, including 31 starts.
Dike caught 97 passes for 1,478 yards for the Badgers and earned honorable mention on the All-Big Ten Team in 2022 when Mertz was Wisconsin's starting quarterback.
He caught 70 passes for 1,032 yards and eight touchdowns in 2022 with Mertz at quarterback.
Dike is a Wisconsin native who grew up in Waukesha and starred at North High School. He served as a team captain last season.
Wow, that is really bad reporting.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There’s some guys that are beating the drum on 247 saying that Brennan Marion has started following UF coaches. I don’t think there’s any way he’s coming here. But he would be an absolute coup. Would be a fantastic OC here.

Here’s to wishing…

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I would think so. And I would think definitely somebody who can help him game plan.

Shane Matthews has routinely blasted Napier for not having experienced analysts on this team. He said all of them are young people. He said you need a bunch of old seasoned guys helping the young coaches.

He talked at length at how Bama does it.
Crap almighty. Many times when situations arose on the field I thought, what are the guys in the booth doing?

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I’m sure ESPN is correct. I don’t know where the UF website is getting their information from.
All other sources are correct except the UF guys. They might mean in 3 years with Mertz those are Dike's numbers, but even then they are a bit off. These UF guys are really something.

That said, brining in a guy Mertz can build rapport with immediately ain't a bad thing.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Crap almighty. Many times when situations arose on the field I thought, what are the guys in the booth doing?
Season 3 Sleeping GIF by The Simpsons

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
from the Gator press release:

Dike "caught 70 passes for 1,032 yards and eight touchdowns in 2022 with Mertz at quarterback."

For comparison, Ricky Pearsall's receiving stats in 2023:
- 65 for 965 and 4 YD. (+2 running TDs.)
I'd argue Ricky's stats were hurt by the team's inability to give Mertz time to run long patterns. Plus the playing-calling, which was arguably also hampered by the protection.

I don't recall having seen Dike, but the record says he was productive in 2022. With Mertz specifically.

So he may be pretty good pickup. Here's hoping!

416ddbfe-6b7a-401d-837e-a0188e32e9d1_text.gif

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This phukkin board has me so scared to "like" your post that it feels like my last name ends with "burg" and some short mustachioed tyrant is searching the dales for me.
And you'll surely take a beating for your "wrong" opinion.

But I feel like singing to the rafters, seeing another "idiot" in the wild, and completely agree with the bolded.

We need to come up with a secret wave in case I see you at Publix.

This board is short-sighted and cannot see that we are on the cusp of the best offseason EVER. The guys that want to be here are buying in. Shocking gains in muscle mass and body fat reduction are coming. The loveable walk-ons are streaming in like we have no border policy at all.

Seriously, Billy’s best hope is for the team bond and push each other. Everyone is trying for that. Billy needs it in a big way.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This board is short-sighted and cannot see that we are on the cusp of the best offseason EVER. The guys that want to be here are buying in. Shocking gains in muscle mass and body fat reduction are coming. The loveable walk-ons are streaming in like we have no border policy at all.

Seriously, Billy’s best hope is for the team bond and push each other. Everyone is trying for that. Billy needs it in a big way.
While you're not wrong, it suspiciously sounds like all previous off seasons ever.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There’s some guys that are beating the drum on 247 saying that Brennan Marion has started following UF coaches. I don’t think there’s any way he’s coming here. But he would be an absolute coup. Would be a fantastic OC here.

Here’s to wishing…
Possible interim candidate next year? With a 6 game audition . Haven't watched them play but he's an OC for a defensive coach. I think I'd like it.

Edit: not sure his o would work in the sec

Last edited:

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017

Here’s to wishing…

I saw on Reddit the claim that some of our players and recruits started following him too, but I haven't verified.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
I saw on Reddit the claim that some of our players and recruits started following him too, but I haven't verified.

All the research has been done here.

Good info, offense stats, Twitter follows, errthang

But, it is missing flight tracking. Nothing is official without that

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

All the research has been done here.

Good info, offense stats, Twitter follows, errthang

But, it is missing flight tracking. Nothing is official without that
Personally I think Twitter idiots know just as much (or more) than our current Gator writers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Personally I think Twitter idiots know just as much (or more) than our current Gator writers.
Many of our Gator writers and all those 247/On3 "personalities" who do their "scouting" are little more than Twitter users who spend all day on it getting intel. Few of them ever break anything other than Hayes Fawcett.

As for the OC, this would be an absolute homerun hire.

Edit: Not enough. This would be bottom on the ninth, two outs, down 3 runs, walkoff Adam Dunn skyshot splash it onto the Kentucky side of the river grandslam home run.

All this plus losing Kimber?

And FSU being in constant clowndemonium?

MERRY FUCHSING CHRISTMAS GATORS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.