UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

TXgators

Nov 11, 2023
Well, I think our offense was ok last season. There four games we scored less than 30 (Utah, Georgia, Kentucky, and FSU). If we had mediocre defense, we could've won a couple of more games (Ark, Mizz). Instead of hiring a decent OC, I think dumb play calling from BN was more problematic. instead of hiring a new OC, it'd better to have someone to stop BN calling dumb plays.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I think our offense was ok last season. There four games we scored less than 30 (Utah, Georgia, Kentucky, and FSU). If we had mediocre defense, we could've won a couple of more games (Ark, Mizz). Instead of hiring a decent OC, I think dumb play calling from BN was more problematic. instead of hiring a new OC, it'd better to have someone to stop BN calling dumb plays.
Every game against a top 50 defense we struggled to score two TDs.

Our offense is schiff and frankly totally wasting some pretty decent talent.

Defense is obviously far worse but that doesn't make offense "ok". 64th in scoring is never "ok".

"Instead of hiring a decent OC, I think dumb play calling from BN was more problematic. instead of hiring a new OC, it'd better to have someone to stop BN calling dumb plays."

elections stand GIF

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be tempted to be pretty excited, but would temper myself by waiting to see what the offense actually looks like. Tater has done absolutely nothing here or anytime in his career that indicates he's willing to change philosophies or give up command. So my gut would say the dude would be forced to run taters vanilla 1960s offense, just like petrino was forced to run Jimbo dipsht's.
This is a shocking take from you. I'm flabbergasted.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
instead of hiring a new OC, it'd better to have someone to stop BN calling dumb plays."
With the new clock rules, there's not enough time between plays to radio the in-booth game-changer to see if the dumb-ometer accepts the play call so sometimes he has to go with gut feel and animal instinct.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This is a shocking take from you. I'm flabbergasted.
Which part was surprising, or more specifically, unfactual?

You can admit your boy tater has been absolute trash from jump. It's not like refusing to admit it is keeping it a secret. We all have eyes. :grin:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Which part was surprising, or more specifically, unfactual?

You can admit your boy tater has been absolute trash from jump. It's not like refusing to admit it is keeping it a secret. We all have eyes. :grin:
The only difference between you and I is that I still think he has a 10% chance to succeed, and you are at zero. Your problem is that you've painted yourself into a serious corner with that zero. You're going to poo-poo any even remotely good news because of that zero and your overwhelming desire to be proven right.

You also want Napier gone as soon as possible, so you'd prefer us to lose every single upcoming game until he's gone. You're actually rooting for an 0-8+ start next year. It's not like refusing to admit it is keeping it a secret. We all have eyes. :grin:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
According to the insiders on tos the UNLV guy isn't even on Napier's radar. Sucks if true but they've also said for certainty it isn't gonna be Willy Korn or Russ Calloway. So at least we've got that going for us.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The only difference between you and I is that I still think he has a 10% chance to succeed, and you are at zero. Your problem is that you've painted yourself into a serious corner with that zero. You're going to poo-poo any even remotely good news because of that zero and your overwhelming desire to be proven right.

You also want Napier gone as soon as possible, so you'd prefer us to lose every single upcoming game until he's gone. You're actually rooting for an 0-8+ start next year. It's not like refusing to admit it is keeping it a secret. We all have eyes. :grin:
Is this the "i know you are but what am I" game? I'm familiar. My 5 year old plays it sometimes.

You claiming anyone has painted themselves into a corner is about as rich as Jeff Bezos. You've slurped more tater cawk and trashed and ridiculed more posters that disagreed than anyone on this board.

You are correct about 1 thing tho. He's garbage and needs to be jettisoned to the moon asap. Fortunately for all of us that will happen only 4-5 games into next season when he's 1-4 and the team looks exactly the same as it has his entire tenure.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You are correct about 1 thing tho. He's garbage and needs to be jettisoned to the moon asap. Fortunately for all of us that will happen only 4-5 games into next season when he's 1-4 and the team looks exactly the same as it has his entire tenure.
Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Time will tell. In the meantime I'm going to be happy about any good news into the program, like getting one of the best HS QB's in America. You should try it.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
According to the insiders on tos the UNLV guy isn't even on Napier's radar. Sucks if true but they've also said for certainty it isn't gonna be Willy Korn or Russ Calloway. So at least we've got that going for us.
I don't think they knew about the Tulane dude either.

Speculation is way more fun

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
One more thing to note, the smoke about Will Harris was real and all the Twitter follows and stuff panned out. So hopefully it does with this guy.

Can't track uaa planes anymore so I'm not sure how the reddit dudes found that info

Mobtowngator

OCD should actually be called CDO...
Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
With Billy and Strichnine? Drunk on what? O’Doul’s and Twisted Tea? As for gambling, Strichnine has done enough of that with his UF hires for UAA to send arm guards to make sure he stays clear of the Strip.
Arm guards? Is Mertz with them and needs protection from Strip temptations?

Good idea - we need to take care of that guy so he can mentor Lagway...

Las Vegas Racing GIF by Imagine Dragons

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arm guards? Is Mertz with them and needs protection from Strip temptations?

Good idea - we need to take care of that guy so he can mentor Lagway...

Las Vegas Racing GIF by Imagine Dragons
No disagreement. I think Mertz was actually a bright spot and can impart a lot of the nuances of successful QB play. Lagway certainly has the physical part down. Don’t think he will be able to run as much and stay as healthy as we’ll need him to be. Something to look forward to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator