UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
In looking at that 247 thread, it appears RC was being pursued by other teams, thus the timing and move at all. As I somewhat predicted, and was afraid of, live look at Napier on the way to the announcement..

1708827367696.gif

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015
Out of the names that were mentioned as serious possibilities, Callaway is probably my preference. He has at least been around some competent offenses. Maybe we will actually turn playcalling over to him and surprise everyone. It couldnt be worse Potato trying to do it.

I don't know why I keep saying it couldn't be worse. I should know better by now.

Anywho, this is from his bio:

As a unit in 2018, Samford's offense led the FCS in passing yards per game (392.7). The offense also ranked fourth in the FCS in total offense (515.9 ypg.), and eighth in both red zone offense (.898) and in first downs (298). Meanwhile in 2017, the Bulldogs' offense led the SoCon and ranked fifth in the FCS in passing yards per game (33.4 ypg.).

In 2016, Callaway's offense ranked third among all FCS schools in passing offense, averaging 349.4 passing yards per game. They also ranked sixth in the FCS in red zone offense (90.2%), 11th in team passing efficiency (155.24), 12th in scoring offense (35.1 ppg.) and 14th in total offense (446.2 ypg.).

RUSS CALLAWAY COACHING HISTORY
Year School, Position
2023 Florida, Tight Ends
2022 Florida, Defensive Intern
2021 New York Giants, Offensive Assistant
2020 LSU, Senior Offensive Assistant and Analyst
2018-19 Samford, Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
2016-17 Samford, Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks / WR
2015 Samford, Wide Receivers / Pass Game Coordinator
2014-13 Murray State, Wide Receivers / Recruiting Coordinator
2011-12 Alabama, Defensive Analyst
Samford....??
Bored Married With Children GIF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Samford....??
Bored Married With Children GIF
It is better than a dude who has sucked ass as OC at every single stop since Clemson.

The other option, apparenly, was Sunbelt guy who has never actually even been a playcaller and who was one of Shortbus Billy's acolytes.

Neither is ideal, of course, but we were never hiring a competent OC from another P5 school.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I hope Callaway is doing the playcalling, but that is fantasy land. Taters likes his button hooks too much. Rumor is he faps to button hooks at night.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In looking at that 247 thread, it appears RC was being pursued by other teams, thus the timing and move at all. As I somewhat predicted, and was afraid of, live look at Napier on the way to the announcement..

View attachment 67800
Billy was quoted recently as describing the whole ordeal as breathtaking.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Waiting 3 months to promote our te 's coach is kinda like burning 3 timeouts right before half to only run off tackle lol. This is how we do things now.

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Waiting 3 months to promote our te 's coach is kinda like burning 3 timeouts right before to only run off tackle lol. This is how we do things now.
Would you have rather him have done nothing at all?

Good move. Looking forward to the offense this year.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
My favorite comment was the one that complained when comparing Calloway to UCLA getting Eric Bienemy.
From what I have seen and read we got the better of those two. Calloway at least has actually been a real coordinator.
Bienemy was the OC for Washington last year; he just wasn’t very successful at it. I agree on not counting his years in KC as we all know who the real OC is there.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Co-OC!?!?!?!? Is there another Co-OC besides CBN that we just don't know about? :grin:

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Co-OC!?!?!?!? Is there another Co-OC besides CBN that we just don't know about? :grin:
Sale is supposedly OC and O line coach, but we all know who calls plays during the game. So I guess Sale and RC are both Co-OC now. This appears to be a title and raise so RC did not get poached. It would be nice if he handed off the play calling to RC, but I will believe that when I see it.

Last edited:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sale is supposedly OC and O line coach, but we all know who calls plays during the game. So I guess Sale and RC are both Co-OC now. This appears to be a title and raise so RC did not get poached. It would be nice if he handed off the play calling to RC, but I will believe that when I see it.
Two OCs and neither calls plays.... hilarious.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I had to guess, Sale is likely the run-game coordinator and Callaway is the passing game coordinator. This should still be somewhat of an improvement as the passing concepts were barley at a high school level last year. I wish Napier would give up play calling duties too, but in theory, he should at least have a better playbook to use at his disposal... if he uses it. Human nature suggests that he'll stick to what he's most comfortable with, especially when the game is tight, which will probably be most games unless we're down big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.