UF gets #1 overall seed in baseball

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Is tomorrow an elimination game? Or do they have to beat us twice?

We just need to win one game tomorrow. Doesn't matter if it's the first game we play or the second (if a we even need a second game), one win and we move on to the Super Regional.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Hopefully he won't rest our best pitcher in an elimination game this year in an effort to keep him fresh for a series that never happens.

You're right about that. It would also be nice to see this team not have to rely on the long ball to beat a team like UConn, like we did tonight.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Congratulations to Sully and the Gators for beating a very pesky UCONN team with their ace on the mound last night, despite Puk not being able get deep into the game......again. Dunning was spectacular and Anderson was solid in the 9th.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's true. Hopefully he won't rest our best pitcher in an elimination game this year in an effort to keep him fresh for a series that never happens.
Hopefully he'll realize that Puk is not our best pitcher.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
it is definitely a comfort having dunning and anderson performing the way they are. sully really does need to move faedo up to the second game from here out, hes throwing great and it may take some pressure off puk, which appears to me to be an issue with him this year. I have no doubt faedo he goes 6+ tonite. I'd also like to see reed moved down to the bottom of the lineup, swap him and reyes or india. I don't think he has a hit yet in the regional. other than that, the D is looking great besides buddy's drop yesterday.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
it is definitely a comfort having dunning and anderson performing the way they are. sully really does need to move faedo up to the second game from here out, hes throwing great and it may take some pressure off puk, which appears to me to be an issue with him this year. I have no doubt faedo he goes 6+ tonite. I'd also like to see reed moved down to the bottom of the lineup, swap him and reyes or india. I don't think he has a hit yet in the regional. other than that, the D is looking great besides buddy's drop yesterday.

I called this before the season that Buddy is a light hitter. Can't believe people having him going in the first round, he has A LOT of developing to do before he gets there

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
hes got world class speed and a great glove. hitting can be taught but looking over his stats - his BA has dropped 40 points in the last month. he needs to start laying a few down.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
hes got world class speed and a great glove. hitting can be taught but looking over his stats - his BA has dropped 40 points in the last month. he needs to start laying a few down.

Yes he has potential, however being an above average defensive OF doesn't warrant a first round pick. Hitting in a lot of cases is something you either can do or can't. It's not a skill that is easily taught, but not impossible to develop by any means.

I'm not trying to bash him at all, I think he's a wonderful college player, I just think he has a ways to go in order to have a bright MLB future.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Here's a link to last night's box score. I'm glad we got the win but we are going to have to play better to go all the way. We got twice as many hits as UConn and only won by a run. We can't strand runners like this and expect to pull out victories against the stiffer competition we will face as we go deeper in the tournament. We have to be able to convert base runners into runs and manufacturing runs rather than relying on long ball may be the difference between our first taste of baseball glory and another disappointing finish to an otherwise good season. Here's hoping that Sully and the guys can pull it out this year.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/baseball/d1/2016/06/04/florida-uconn

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Great weekend! Also great having Pete back. Sully nailed this one, every year a team gets hot at the right time and someone steps up. This year Pete was centimeters away from being out for the year and comes back in a big way at the right time. Also, Danny Reyes confidence is through the roof!
He is seeing the ball well and delivering in the clutch while JJ seems to have picked up his bat.

This MAY be the year we put it together. I know..lots of baseball to play and good pitching always beats good hitting. Which brings up a good question..Do you mess with rotation for Super (Alex F is clearly more dependable than Puk) or continue with what got us here?

I would be upset with anything short of a championship, BUT..how bout those freshmen (India, Liput, Maldonado, and Reyes)? JJ, Alex F, Mike R, Dalton, and Vasquez all return..but NOW is the time!

GO GATORS

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator