UF gets #1 overall seed in baseball

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The guy has us consistently in the CWS with a chance to win the title and people want to fire him...

Baseball is so fickle... pitchers or hitters can get hot and BAM game over.

It isn't like there is a ton of strategy... there are pitching changes and base running decisions and that is really it.

I don't want him to come to Austin... he has been amazing for UF Baseball and would love to see Sully stay for a long long time. Pay the man if you have to!

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
And "rumors" now that Texas has its sights soley on Sully..this will be interesting. UF pays him 600k, Auggie just left and was making 1Mil. Hey coach, ask for 7 figs and a new baseball stadium.
Garrido has been at UT for 19 years #1, and he has won a few CWS National Championships. Can't imagine UT would pay a coach $1 million with no previous titles.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My old man watches every inning of Gator baseball - he's a fanatic. However, he told me yesterday he knows there's pretty much no way Sully will ever get over the hump and take this team all the way. Expectations are low, even for these ultra-talented Gator squads, because of the manager. He's the kind of guy other teams are praying we keep long-term, like we were with Richt.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Dont need a new st
My old man watches every inning of Gator baseball - he's a fanatic. However, he told me yesterday he knows there's pretty much no way Sully will ever get over the hump and take this team all the way. Expectations are low, even for these ultra-talented Gator squads, because of the manager. He's the kind of guy other teams are praying we keep long-term, like we were with Richt.

I have watched every pitch this year..have for a few year's now..I think highly of Sully, and would vote for him to stay..I do question some in game decisions..No doubt the man can recruit..He is a pitching coach and takes great care of the pitchers..Most people to not want to hear it, but we need more small ball..Our execution in crunch time with runners in scoring position leaves a lot to be desired..We are a squeeze or two away from two NC'S.

I'm in the minority here..I'd give a football or basketball title for a baseball SHIP..

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Dont need a new st

I have watched every pitch this year..have for a few year's now..I think highly of Sully, and would vote for him to stay..I do question some in game decisions..No doubt the man can recruit..He is a pitching coach and takes great care of the pitchers..Most people to not want to hear it, but we need more small ball..Our execution in crunch time with runners in scoring position leaves a lot to be desired..We are a squeeze or two away from two NC'S.

I'm in the minority here..I'd give a football or basketball title for a baseball SHIP..
Needing more small ball is exactly what my dad thinks. Sometimes you just have to manufacture runs.

And hey, at least Puk is fresh. :suicide:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
A few years back when South Carolina won it they were masters of the small ball. Single after single, but they also had great base running.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is there anything we can be happy about???

I bet if you posted a naked pic in the Saloon someone would complain, even if it was just because it was in the Saloon and not more pubic, oops public.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I hope the overall 1 seed doesn't jinx us like it did the softball team.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't get your hopes too high for a title. In 10 of the last 12 years, the winner has not even been a National top 8 seed. The #1 seed hasn't won the CWS since 1999. Of the last sixteen #1 seeds, it's not the coaches fault another team won the tournament, it's just just that the teams are that evenly matched. It's the nature of baseball. Sully is not the reason that we don't have a title, but he is the reason that many of you think we should. One thing is for sure, you can't win it if you're not in it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
A few years back when South Carolina won it they were masters of the small ball. Single after single, but they also had great base running.
Go back a few years earlier when we played Texas for the title... They small balled the crap out of us.

When juggernauts go at it, it's usually the team that can do something besides simply swinging away that wins because pitching at that level is so good. I too think we need to be able to play small ball. How many times have we had two or three runners on base with less than 2 outs and came up totally dry. Seems like a regularity with this team the last few years.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We have arguably one of the best pitching staffs in college history, so we most certainly have a good shot at winning it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone's really concerned with the pitching. It's hitting that we can have issues with. If we hit a bit of a wall at the wrong time we need another way to get some runs here and there. Hence the small ball discussions.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
There we go again, chance to bunt over winning run and sully swings away. Naturally single next pitch. He drives me nuts and now we in trouble vs uconn

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have arguably one of the best pitching staffs in college history, so we most certainly have a good shot at winning it.
And our 3rd best starting pitcher is likely going to be picked in the top 5 of the draft. It IS a pretty nice staff Sully has assembled.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And our 3rd best starting pitcher is likely going to be picked in the top 5 of the draft. It IS a pretty nice staff Sully has assembled.
That's true. Hopefully he won't rest our best pitcher in an elimination game this year in an effort to keep him fresh for a series that never happens.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Clemsons getting crushed at home and vandy got destroyed by Xavier :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online