UF hires MSU DC Geoff Collins, the "Minister of Mayhem"

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
g8rgolfer;n132773 said:
Not that bad of comments in my opinion. He criticized both sides of the ball ... but the D did give up a lot of big plays. Truth hurt? Mullen is butthurt? Sure ... but who wouldn't be when you lose to your rival. What everyone here doesnt know is what is going on the sidelines as the coaches coach the game. He may have a lot of reason to say the things you say in that interview.

Does anyone else find it a bit of a red flag that a positional and coordinator coach would leave immediately and not coach through the bowl game? Sure ... he might have an issue with Coach Mullen ... but there are kids on that team counting on him as well. That is what I think about. Having been on a team for over 22 years of my professional life ... that makes me scratch my head a bit.

The guy is a solid hire on paper and watching that defense though.

Sounds like they have issues and Foley got him a DC for cheap money probably as far as the top SEC teams are concerned.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
g8rgolfer;n132821 said:
My logic? In one breath you guys talk about the dumpster fire of a program UF was turned into by Muschamp. In another breath you guys say a DC coming from a current top program to be a DC of this dumpster fire of a program is a step up?

Dont talk to me about logic. We haven't been relevant for over 6 years now ... I get it ... you love the Gators ... but dont let that distract you from reality. Football programs compared ... what is it about our program right now that is actually better than MSU's? If all you got is tradition ... then you have what we call volzheimers logic.

Check out this article and tell me that a sensible coach doesn't realize that UF is a better place to be for long term success. Not to mention it has been well known for years that if you come to UF and do well, it could very well lead to a HC job. This article makes a compelling argument. But it is funny however, that we're even talking about Mullen's comments. Of course he was gonna say this. What else was he gonna say?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n132912 said:
Sounds like they have issues and Foley got him a DC for cheap money probably as far as the top SEC teams are concerned.

You keep repeating this mantra. How about doing a lil' research and then you'll know and not keep guessing. Google is your friend. Look up for yourself but when I found it I knew he was gonna be getting a pretty good salary here. If I remember correctly, he was making 525K this year and was due to get either 575 or 625 next year. I saw it this morning but have since forgotten. The bottom line is that it leads me to believe he'll be in excess of 600K. I'm guessing 650 to 700K for his first year with incentives. But that's just a guess. Roper was making 700K I believe. Looks like Foley is starting to open up the pocket book a little more than is years past for the coordinator position.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n132559 said:
I would've been ok with the hire, but agree that he's a prick. As you said, that's fine if you're winning.
He's a prick, no doubt. And he's an offensive coordinator that consistently finishes in the bottom of the SEC. He doesn't really have a signature win after 6 years in the SECW and his record against every team not named Ole Piss (before they got good) and Kintucky is atrocious.

He took one of the shiiittiest jobs in the country because he couldn't get a better one, plain and simple. I've never understand the allure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BoomTown;n132907 said:
Anyone who would try to argue this point has obviously never been to "StarkVegas" They had a good season, but they aren't even the best program in Mississippi.
I wouldn't take a dump in Starville, or any place in M'sippi or Trailerbama, unless I had no other choice.

Cousin Eddy is just mad that Minister of Mayhem just didn't want to more to Ann Arbor (who is a whore) with him.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He finally beat The Barn this year, and hasn't beaten Bammer yet. Lateral move? Yeah Dan, what the **** ever.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n132922 said:
You keep repeating this mantra. How about doing a lil' research and then you'll know and not keep guessing. Google is your friend. Look up for yourself but when I found it I knew he was gonna be getting a pretty good salary here. If I remember correctly, he was making 525K this year and was due to get either 575 or 625 next year. I saw it this morning but have since forgotten. The bottom line is that it leads me to believe he'll be in excess of 600K. I'm guessing 650 to 700K for his first year with incentives. But that's just a guess. Roper was making 700K I believe. Looks like Foley is starting to open up the pocket book a little more than is years past for the coordinator position.

Like I said Foley is probably getting a DC on the cheap compared to the top DC SEC salaries now. I have looked at the numbers and it doesn't suggest a top hire to me. And like I said before I hope he shows I am wrong.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Robbie Andreu is just releasing some pent-up feelings, stuffed down over the last 4 years. He doesn't need access to the former HC (can't remember his name), so now he's gonna let loose on his feelings about the last four years. But, while he's making the case that "we suck worse than Miss State", the rest of us have moved on to the idea of not sucking anymore. It's off-key.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, yet Andreu was sword-swallowing Chimp the whole time he was here.

The truth is that Chimp's one decent year is the similar as the one decent year (in six) that Cousin Eddy had in Trashvegas.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Glad the staff appears to be shaping up with new blood, new reasons to win, kindle the crystal trophy dream... that's my hope anyway.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen can say what he wants. One good year in 6. So lets see if he doesn't bail after the Bowl. Bet he does. And maybe that's why Geoff did.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
I'm just happy about the idea that we may see four SEC size d-linemen on the field together again rather than a "buck" that is undersized with his hand on the ground/ stand-up hybrid underachieving pass rusher craziness. Sure would be nice to see some production from a real defensive end again.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
g8trs99;n133080 said:
I'm just happy about the idea that we may see four SEC size d-linemen on the field together again rather than a "buck" that is undersized with his hand on the ground/ stand-up hybrid underachieving pass rusher craziness. Sure would be nice to see some production from a real defensive end again.

It makes me wonder how bad this hurts our chances with cowart, he's said he wants to play the buck position

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n133087 said:
It makes me wonder how bad this hurts our chances with cowart, he's said he wants to play the buck position
We played a 3 man front with the buck flexing back to LB very, very rarely. I don't see why it would hurt at all. He looks like a 4-3 weakside end anyway.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
None of our targets sounded too happy but it's better to het our coaching staff right the first time. This isn't going to be a good class regardless. Better have the guys he wants in there now so we don't have any attrition in the staff next year. I also think what we have comming back fits a 4~3 scheme better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You need a beast NT and some two gappers at 5t/DE/DT when you play a 3 man front. We simply don't have it and don't have those guys on the horizon either.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
That stupid SWAG stuff can stay in Starkville.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n133137 said:
You need a beast NT and some two gappers at DE when you play a 3 man front. We simply don't have it and don't have those guys on the horizon either.

Cox,Brantley,Ivey and willis is a pretty good front 4 imo. There's some body's behind them hopefully a few others can step up

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
Is there ever a standing/blitzing "Buck", or DE-LB hybrid in a 4-3? Cowart says he's out if he doesn't get to mix it up and play from multiple positions on the field, i.e standing up to blitz and from the three-stance. Any way to make this happen in Collins' 4-3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator