UF hires MSU DC Geoff Collins, the "Minister of Mayhem"

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Talked with a friend from MSU who does some media work for football. Said Collins is a good guy good coach and will be a great addition in Gainesville. I see that he got his education and coaching start at Western Carolina just down the road from here in Asheville.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sure. Plenty of teams have their DEs standing in passing situations. And some move guys between OLB and DEs. Our bucks almost always blitz when they are standing up so there really isn't any surprise for the D.

I really don't care about a DE regardless. We need OLs and LBs and need them badly as in freshmen are going to play, ready or not. I'm also not a fan of tweeners. They tend to be too light to stop the run and too slow to defend the pass. In the SEC, it's the former that causes the most problem.

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
Law98gator;n133155 said:
Sure. Plenty of teams have their DEs standing in passing situations. And some move guys between OLB and DEs. Our bucks almost always blitz when they are standing up so there really isn't any surprise for the D.

I really don't care about a DE regardless. We need OLs and LBs and need them badly as in freshmen are going to play, ready or not. I'm also not a fan of tweeners. They tend to be too light to stop the run and too slow to defend the pass. In the SEC, it's the former that causes the most problem.

I hear ya, but I like what Fowler did for us last year, despite having a questionable motor at times, and playing a little light. Cowart seemingly has the same explosiveness, a better motor, and the frame to really pack on some muscle. Plus he's giving us every opportunity to bring him in. If it's a matter of him standing up and moving around a bit, I say stand him and move 'em!

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStompin';n133157 said:
I hear ya, but I like what Fowler did for us last year, despite having a questionable motor at times, and playing a little light. Cowart seemingly has the same explosiveness, a better motor, and the frame to really pack on some muscle. Plus he's giving us every opportunity to bring him in. If it's a matter of him standing up and moving around a bit, I say stand him and move 'em!
If he isn't right for the scheme then we need to move on.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStompin';n133157 said:

I never heard anyone question his motor this year. I heard some last year, but definitely not this year. I've heard some scouting reports that claim his motor as the reason he'll be a top 15 pick.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Since65;n133153 said:
Talked with a friend from MSU who does some media work for football. Said Collins is a good guy good coach and will be a great addition in Gainesville. I see that he got his education and coaching start at Western Carolina just down the road from here in Asheville.

I lived in Western NC for about 8 years. Blue Ridge Gator Club still meet at the chicken wing place close to downtown?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n133264 said:
Dang Collins owes miss state 75k to come here.

Either way that's 2 coaches that paid money to be employed here.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
williston_gator;n133281 said:
Either way that's 2 coaches that paid money to be employed here.

Makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

sallyfield-meme-generator-you-like-me-you-really-like-me-1c90be.jpg

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
HogtownGator;n133279 said:
I lived in Western NC for about 8 years. Blue Ridge Gator Club still meet at the chicken wing place close to downtown?

No, they now meet at a place called Juicy Lucy's Burgers in the Biltmore area. I haven't been active in that group for quite a while but I think they have pretty healthy numbers. Lots of Gators in this area.

Singularity

Dec 18, 2014
Very excited about this hire.

I like his personality and the exotic defenses he's run in the past. If he can manage the defensive prowess with Miss. State, the sky's the limit with the athletes we have.

Also, huge fan of his "Swag Chalice" and the names chosen for his defenses.

From an article about his "juice points".

'Beyond his recruiting chops, Collins adds instant credibility to the defense. He will bring energy to the unit, which should get used to the idea of having its every movement tracked by a clever metric called “Juice Points,” which measures a player’s “juice” on a given play. It’s somewhat cliché, but players respond to it and are more apt to be aggressive, as evidenced by Mississippi State ranking second in the SEC in sacks and tied for third in interceptions during the regular season. Tony Hughes, a former fellow assistant coach at State, said, “Geoff is a 21st-century, cutting-edge coordinator that thinks out of the box.”'

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I will be elated if my eyes once again see a consistent pass rush, the chasing down QBs.
I mean running for their lives most of the game stuff. :yes:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ha! Burn.
@GatorZoneScott: “I enjoy humor.” — McElwain on Dan Mullen’s comment about Geoff Collins’ “lateral” move from Miss St. to UF.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n136362 said:
Ha! Burn.
@GatorZoneScott: “I enjoy humor.” — McElwain on Dan Mullen’s comment about Geoff Collins’ “lateral” move from Miss St. to UF.
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator