UF hires MSU DC Geoff Collins, the "Minister of Mayhem"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n132453 said:
@ZachAbolverdi: #UF might make a run at #Tide DL coach Bo Davis. Worked with Geoff Collins at #Bama in 2007 & Jim McElwain from 08-10 before going to Texas.
Make sure you put this in the other thread. Let's keep this thread about Collins.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My opinion, this could be a good hire.

Overall 1000 ft view: It seems clear that Mac is intent on cleaning house and ensuring that his team is HIS team, doesnt want any lingering staffers adding friction and any players looking to those individuals for a life-line when the way something has always been done is now different. I think thats probably a good strategy. Clean house, fresh slate, new blood, no playing mom against dad and vice versa.

50 ft view: First, the big plays that Ms St. D gave up this year were far beyond acceptable. They had a great red zone D but between the 20's it was pretty bad. Against bad to above avg teams you can probably get by with that if your offense is good but the top teams find ways to get 6 if they get a 1st down at your 20 yd line. This could be an abberation and I hope it is but if this becomes a trend for his defense, we are not going to be pleased. Secondary was mostly to blame; front 4 and front 7 played quite well and considering our talent in the secondary I'm fairly optimistic about this point. Second, I am a little dissapointed we are moving away from the 3-4 style considering all the spread teams that are popping up within the conference. I think its easier to cover sideline-to-sideline using 4 LBs who are faster and more mobile than it is using 4 DTs and theres less of a chance of play-faking to open up running lanes around the edges when you have an extra LB for spacing. I also think we have a lot more quality LB depth in state than we do DT depth so 3-4 may lend its self better to local recruiting.

But what do I know, I'm just a GCMB poster with a chefs hat and a wooden spoon. :fart:

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
williston_gator;n132469 said:
@DanWolken: Geoff Collins to Florida, as reported by SI, is a smart hire. And probably just after Mullen threw D staff under the bus following Egg Bowl

Mullin really screwed himself with his critique of the D after the Egg Bowl. Didn't even assess the weaknesses really, just flat out threw them under the bus. Like the offense scoring 17 points was some miraculous feat. His loss, our gain. Maybe he hires Durkin… :headscratch:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStompin';n132484 said:
Mullin really screwed himself with his critique of the D after the Egg Bowl. Didn't even assess the weaknesses really, just flat out threw them under the bus. Like the offense scoring 17 points was some miraculous feat. His loss, our gain. Maybe he hires Durkin… :headscratch:

Maybe so.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice hire, I'm sure our D will be just fine. Durkin back to special teams now??

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently FSU tried to get him last year and Auburn called him too.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n132474 said:
My opinion, this could be a good hire.

Overall 1000 ft view: It seems clear that Mac is intent on cleaning house and ensuring that his team is HIS team, doesnt want any lingering staffers adding friction and any players looking to those individuals for a life-line when the way something has always been done is now different. I think thats probably a good strategy. Clean house, fresh slate, new blood, no playing mom against dad and vice versa.

50 ft view: First, the big plays that Ms St. D gave up this year were far beyond acceptable. They had a great red zone D but between the 20's it was pretty bad. Against bad to above avg teams you can probably get by with that if your offense is good but the top teams find ways to get 6 if they get a 1st down at your 20 yd line. This could be an abberation and I hope it is but if this becomes a trend for his defense, we are not going to be pleased. Secondary was mostly to blame; front 4 and front 7 played quite well and considering our talent in the secondary I'm fairly optimistic about this point. Second, I am a little dissapointed we are moving away from the 3-4 style considering all the spread teams that are popping up within the conference. I think its easier to cover sideline-to-sideline using 4 LBs who are faster and more mobile than it is using 4 DTs and theres less of a chance of play-faking to open up running lanes around the edges when you have an extra LB for spacing. I also think we have a lot more quality LB depth in state than we do DT depth so 3-4 may lend its self better to local recruiting.

But what do I know, I'm just a GCMB poster with a chefs hat and a wooden spoon. :fart:

Did you see the inexcusable plays our secondary gave up this season?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n132491 said:

We got burned early and often in the first half of our schedule but they improved greatly by the end of the year. They made Winston look like the trash he is and probably cost him a repeat trip to the Heisman ceremony. Morrison got abused badly in coverage but he's a LB that's absolutely horrible in coverage, not a DB. Everybody and their brothers expected our DBs to take some lumps early due to inexperience. There was tons of talk about this in the off season due to the loss of Purifoy, Roberson, Watkins and Riggs all in the same year.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n132487 said:
@AlligatorArmy: Florida's allowed points on 25 of 30 red zone possessions this year. Mississippi State's allowed that on 24 of 40. http://sbnation.com/e/7166010

Aside from 2012, when we had a bunch of stellar Urban Meyer recruits who were all upperclassmen at that point, Muschamp's defenses have been average to good, but inconsistent. In the overall scheme of things, he had ZERO championship winning defenses and his defenses benefitted more than we'll ever realize by opposing offenses sitting on two-score leads. That dynamic is what made Muschamp defenses statistically good. See the Missouri game this year, where we got mauled at home but Muschamp came out feeling like his defense played well, and some fans bought in to that notion. Missouri was up by 40 without even hardly attempting to score on offense. In 2013, we couldn't stop Missouri. We couldn't stop Louisville in the Sugar Bowl, we couldn't stop Bama this year, we couldn't stop LSU this year, we couldn't stop anyone in 2013.

At first I thought maybe we should keep Durkin for continuity, but the more I think about it, no. He needed to go too.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dang.
@AndrewSpiveyGC: RT "@ScoutSteveR: I am told Geoff Collins will not coach in the Orange Bowl and is ready to assume his new duties at Florida.”

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n132491 said:
I did, and I think that was a product of very poor coaching. You should NEVER have to "check" on 3rd and a mile in order to cover deep. The guys were young and we had some coaching blunders, the result of which was some epic busts. But you can't deny the talent we have on the roster in that area. I don't have much good to say about chump but I'll give credit where it's due. He could recruit the heck out of some DBs. Hopefully our pass D will not begin to look like Ms. State, thats all im saying.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n132496 said:
Dang.
@AndrewSpiveyGC: RT "@ScoutSteveR: I am told Geoff Collins will not coach in the Orange Bowl and is ready to assume his new duties at Florida.”

Good, RECRUITING some ballers!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How does this affect us with cece and Byron

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@ZachAbolverdi: New #UF defensive coordinator @CoachCollins just followed #Gators DB coach Travaris Robinson (@UFCoach_TROB) on Twitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator