UF-MIA Basketball tonight 7PM ESPN2

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My problem with white so far is we don't run anything in the half court or ever draw anything up out of a time out. His dribble drive system works when you're playing in the conference usa and have the best guards in your conference. When you don't have the guards that can get in the lane and make something happen you have to have some sort of structure in the half court. And as j mentioned recruiting isn't in a very good place right now either. It's still early though.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
My problem with white so far is we don't run anything in the half court or ever draw anything up out of a time out. His dribble drive system works when you're playing in the conference usa and have the best guards in your conference. When you don't have the guards that can get in the lane and make something happen you have to have some sort of structure in the half court. And as j mentioned recruiting isn't in a very good place right now either. It's still early though.

You are very correct. The dribble drive 'offense' is predicated on having the best talent and that's why Calipari is udually successful. It is not really an offense, but a system of having either bigger guards (Harrisons) or really fast guards who can finish (John Wall). But at the same time they need the big guys and shooters to dish to. At the moment UF doesn't have the outside shooters to dish to, nor can the PGs finish. Plus I don't think White's system is much of a half court system.

That being said Billy Ds first years were down, but he didn't have the talent White does at the moment.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You are very correct. The dribble drive 'offense' is predicated on having the best talent and that's why Calipari is udually successful. It is not really an offense, but a system of having either bigger guards (Harrisons) or really fast guards who can finish (John Wall). But at the same time they need the big guys and shooters to dish to. At the moment UF doesn't have the outside shooters to dish to, nor can the PGs finish. Plus I don't think White's system is much of a half court system.

That being said Billy Ds first years were down, but he didn't have the talent White does at the moment.
Billy didn't have the talent white had but he brought in some studs early on as far as recruiting. I don't think this is gonna get turned around but I'll give him a chance.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am very concerned about what I am seeing with this team. Everyone has mentioned the multiple issues to include the guards but the coaching piece is also a concern.
Yes, the team seems ragged and poorly coached. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that helter skelter with a plan is okay but pure helter skelter is a disaster. I don't see any semblance of an offensive plan most trips down the court.

I can't remember the last time a Gator team ignored the three point line on defense like this team does. I also agree that our young coach is getting NO respect from the officials but yet he sits there and takes it without saying a word. I am not suggesting that he go Muschamp on the sidelines but maybe do what Billy used to do. Call a timeout and then rip them a new one without embarrassing them, and magically the calls even out.

I disagree that recruiting will solve this. It is crucial that White is successful on the court THIS year. If not, we will go back to being just another program with no potential to get topflight players.

I know it is early but I am very concerned so far.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am very concerned about what I am seeing with this team. Everyone has mentioned the multiple issues to include the guards but the coaching piece is also a concern.
Yes, the team seems ragged and poorly coached. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that helter skelter with a plan is okay but pure helter skelter is a disaster. I don't see any semblance of an offensive plan most trips down the court.

I can't remember the last time a Gator team ignored the three point line on defense like this team does. I also agree that our young coach is getting NO respect from the officials but yet he sits there and takes it without saying a word. I am not suggesting that he go Muschamp on the sidelines but maybe do what Billy used to do. Call a timeout and then rip them a new one without embarrassing them, and magically the calls even out.

I disagree that recruiting will solve this. It is crucial that White is successful on the court THIS year. If not, we will go back to being just another program with no potential to get topflight players.

I know it is early but I am very concerned so far.

I agree... this team needs to grow and needs to grow fast. If the best we do is a double digit tourney seed and eliminated in the first weekend, then we are not in a good spot to get recruits. The only positive I see is that the team is very young and has room to grow. They will be better in a year or two and maybe that is when White can make a run and get some national attention.

Overall... this team just doesn't seem as disciplined as they need to be. They take way too many quick shots and aren't focused enough on the defensive side of the ball. I also fail to see a real offense yet.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, in today's college basketball, you don't get 2-3 years to get better.
You must get the key players now and win with them now before they leave early.

The bright spot on our team is the frontline. It is very possible that all three of them are gone after this season. I am not saying that Egbunu or Robinson are ready but when was the last time that stopped a kid from leaving?

You must secure a core of role players that can be developed over time and then grab a few top tier players to supplement. If you don't win (or pay the players) you cannot get the top tier players.

In 2-3 years we could be sitting in a newly renovated O'Connell Center, at a cost of $70m, watching a team that is once again vying for an NIT bid.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just sharing a possible outcome based upon what I have seen so far.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Billy D's first 2 seasons were tough. He went 13-17 and 14-15, so there is some wiggle room with White.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Billy D's first 2 seasons were tough. He went 13-17 and 14-15, so there is some wiggle room with White.

Billy D didn't have the talent White had and he didn't follow somebody who built the program to the level Billy did.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, in today's college basketball, you don't get 2-3 years to get better.
You must get the key players now and win with them now before they leave early.

The bright spot on our team is the frontline. It is very possible that all three of them are gone after this season. I am not saying that Egbunu or Robinson are ready but when was the last time that stopped a kid from leaving?

You must secure a core of role players that can be developed over time and then grab a few top tier players to supplement. If you don't win (or pay the players) you cannot get the top tier players.

In 2-3 years we could be sitting in a newly renovated O'Connell Center, at a cost of $70m, watching a team that is once again vying for an NIT bid.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just sharing a possible outcome based upon what I have seen so far.

I can't see Egbunu or Robinson leaving. That would truly be shocking. The renovated O'Connell Center may help. The reality is we are one or two players away from being a top 15 team. We just don't have that guy who can create and score. If we get that guy and plug him in with the rest of the team.. I actually think we are pretty good.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Billy D didn't have the talent White had and he didn't follow somebody who built the program to the level Billy did.

I totally agree with you on this. It's almost like White doesn't know what to do with this talented roster, because he's never had this level of talent before. They will get hammered at Michigan State, but White needs to win the next three non-conference games vs Okie State, Jacksonville, and FSU to get to 9-3 (West Virginia at home at the end of January is the last non-conference game). I think a 11-5 or 12-6 in conference is attainable, and that would put us over 20 wins. But, call me Mr. Brightside.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I think Allen is the guy who can create and score, but he's a frosh who's working it out.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever White is doing ain't working

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I think Allen is the guy who can create and score, but he's a frosh who's working it out.
Part of the problem is our best scoring guards are Allen and BFR, who both need the ball in their hands to create their shot. Our PGs have the ball 95% of the time so it doesn't play to their strengths

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Part of the problem is our best scoring guards are Allen and BFR, who both need the ball in their hands to create their shot. Our PGs have the ball 95% of the time so it doesn't play to their strengths

The other problem is that both Allen and BFR haven't figured out that they need to wait for their opportunities to come to them as part of the offense vs. just coming down and trying to force something.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
The other problem is that both Allen and BFR haven't figured out that they need to wait for their opportunities to come to them as part of the offense vs. just coming down and trying to force something.
But the opportunities don't come with the pgs dribbling the entire shot clock lol

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
But the opportunities don't come with the pgs dribbling the entire shot clock lol

Yes... and that speaks a lot to the lack of an actual offense and coaching.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Let's just move DFS to PG a la Pippen. Murphy should be back soon.

PG - DFS
SG - Allen
SF - Robinson
PF - Hayes
C - Egbunu

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Amazing that it seems like we've been saying we just need a shooter to change everything. Isn't basketball a game that involves shooting the basketball? Why do we have so many who can't shoot the basketball? Same goes with free throws.

Look around the landscape of the sport and there are thousands of kids who can shoot the basketball yet we fail to have any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.