UF-MIA Basketball tonight 7PM ESPN2

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I totally agree with you on this. It's almost like White doesn't know what to do with this talented roster, because he's never had this level of talent before. They will get hammered at Michigan State, but White needs to win the next three non-conference games vs Okie State, Jacksonville, and FSU to get to 9-3 (West Virginia at home at the end of January is the last non-conference game). I think a 11-5 or 12-6 in conference is attainable, and that would put us over 20 wins. But, call me Mr. Brightside.
Hey Mr. Brightside! :lol:
I think you're spot on. I predicted we'd lose 4 before conference play (although I'm still hoping to lose less). We're very young with a new, young coaching staff, so it's a work in progress (and we knew it would be). Hopefully the team starts to gel, and the coaches figure some things out about the team, before conference play begins.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of yall seem ready to fire White already. Some Gators fans you are!

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of yall seem ready to fire White already. Some Gators fans you are!
No doubt. Everybody's talking about all the talent White was left. Well, Billy finished last season 16-17 with a lot of the same talent. We lost MFII, Walker and Horford, and essentially replaced them with Allen (freshman who's struggling from the floor), Egbunu (likely the MVP of this team so far and a definite upgrade over Walker), and Hayes/Leon (a 'dynamic' duo who're just starting to learn the ropes, more defensive-minded than Horford, but Horford could put up some points and stretch the D). I think it's close to a push as far as talent and production go for what we lost and gained. We're young and we'll continue to struggle away from home until we get some more experience in hostile environments.
Given the O-Dome will be under construction next fall, we'll have a lot of games away from home to start the season, so that's going to be a challenge as well. I believe you gotta give White at least 5 years to get his system in place with the players he needs to run his system (unless of course he goes full Muschamp on us).

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt. Everybody's talking about all the talent White was left. Well, Billy finished last season 16-17 with a lot of the same talent. We lost MFII, Walker and Horford, and essentially replaced them with Allen (freshman who's struggling from the floor), Egbunu (likely the MVP of this team so far and a definite upgrade over Walker), and Hayes/Leon (a 'dynamic' duo who're just starting to learn the ropes, more defensive-minded than Horford, but Horford could put up some points and stretch the D). I think it's close to a push as far as talent and production go for what we lost and gained. We're young and we'll continue to struggle away from home until we get some more experience in hostile environments.
Given the O-Dome will be under construction next fall, we'll have a lot of games away from home to start the season, so that's going to be a challenge as well. I believe you gotta give White at least 5 years to get his system in place with the players he needs to run his system (unless of course he goes full Muschamp on us).
5years? Damn dude. We have a hard enough time keeping people interested as it is. We can't afford 4 or 5 years of mediocre to bad basketball. He got out coaches last night but he's young and I'm willing to give him some time. And he's also gotta show us something on the recruiting trail and show some ability to make adjustments on the floor.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
5years? Damn dude. We have a hard enough time keeping people interested as it is. We can't afford 4 or 5 years of mediocre to bad basketball. He got out coaches last night but he's young and I'm willing to give him some time. And he's also gotta show us something on the recruiting trail and show some ability to make adjustments on the floor.
55419990.jpg

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This UF team doesn't look well coached ... or coached at all. Plays without a plan
of attack, just waiting and hoping the opponent will allow us to get it to the inside.
when you can't hit any jumpshots its almost impossible to take advantage inside. Everytime the ball went inside they mugged Egg (uncalled fouls another issue). Until we find someone who can shoot and get his own shot (Allen seems most likely) we will keep losing to teams with a pulse. Not very excited about at Mich St.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As a 35 year basketball season ticketholder, yes, some gator fan I am.

I don't think we are calling for anyone's head just simply commenting on the state of gator basketball.

How anyone can compare the two bigs we lost (Horford, Walker) with the ones we have this year is beyond me. Those guys were stiffs at best. I trust that Billy was poised to have a much better team this year had he stuck around.

The talent is there, except point guard, which we are acknowledging as critical. I am sure the team will improve over time I just don't like what I see so far with the on court discipline.

So if we criticize, we are bad fans?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This team has major talent, but also lacks guard talent. I don't think White can do much else with the PGs. Bench Hill and tou have Chiozza. The other options are 2 freshman who aren't true PGs. I'm sure this is a big whole White will fill. And I think White will get it worked out a win a lot at UF. But with the talent on this team he needs to make the big dance.
His first class is underwhelming.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I don't think we are calling for anyone's head just simply commenting on the state of gator basketball.

How anyone can compare the two bigs we lost (Horford, Walker) with the ones we have this year is beyond me. Those guys were stiffs at best. I trust that Billy was poised to have a much better team this year had he stuck around.

The talent is there, except point guard, which we are acknowledging as critical. I am sure the team will improve over time I just don't like what I see so far with the on court discipline.

I criticize too. If Billy were the coach of this team and we're performing the way we are (at times), I'd be very critical. I just don't think we can throw it all on Coach White. Did he recruit Hill, Chorizo, or BFR? Can he shoot for them? I just think a little patience is in order while the coaches figure out the best floor combinations and distribution of minutes for PT, that's all.
I did compare Walker/Horford to their replacements and said we upgraded in Walker's case and was essentially a push in Horford's (we traded better D for his scoring), so it was beyond you I guess. :bart:
We're a very young team and we're going to take our lumps and hopefully learn from them. Sure, @ Mich. St. is going to be tough, but hopefully our young team and compete, learn some things in the process, and get better as the season progresses.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach White & staff have had enough practice to have a better half-court offensive attack.
Surely if you don't have sharp shooters, you coach vicious ball-hawking defense ?
This team is stilted and confused.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anybody wants to fire Coach White, but as fans we are all evaluating him. With Billy we had one of the best in the business... that is a tough act for White to follow. The fact that Foley went with a smaller name instead of going for a more known commodity (ex., Archie Miller) means that we will probably have a tougher time recruiting.

I'm a huge basketball fan and I want to see the team do well and be competitive. I don't want this to be an Auburn type program. We have been a top program in the country for a long time and we are 2 years away from a Final Four. I know we lost all those guys and I'll be the first to admit the talent issues we have are on Billy, but I am still hoping to see disciplined basketball. This team is young... the key will be seeing them grow throughout the season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
.... and seeing that growth is totally on the backs of coaching & coach-system.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just want to see some discipline and execution of a set of offensive plays. I have yet to see either in the 8 games we've played thus far.

What make me think we will see it yet?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
White's post practice presser on Gatorzone a day or two before the Miami game is very revealing around the 7:00 min. mark. He usually doesn't go with a set rotation and plays people based on performance the previous game or two and who's hot today.

He also appears to try to let the guys just play basketball vs. a set offense......they better step it up if they want to keep that style of play....these guys are much better shooters than they have shown on the road, at least.

Defense and rebounding should never hit a cold streak.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

No comments unless it is unicorns and rainbows.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
White's post practice presser on Gatorzone a day or two before the Miami game is very revealing around the 7:00 min. mark. He usually doesn't go with a set rotation and plays people based on performance the previous game or two and who's hot today.

He also appears to try to let the guys just play basketball vs. a set offense......they better step it up if they want to keep that style of play....these guys are much better shooters than they have shown on the road, at least.

I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't run any sets

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

So basically a street ball coach. Great. :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.