UF's Football Facilities - Finally begins (on lacrosse)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I’ve asked the same question but never got a response.
I assumed that adding lacrosse would enable UF to offer a few more schollies in baseball or men’s track but apparently the scholly numbers in those sports are limited by the NCAA so I have no idea how this impacts Title IV or why we added the sport if there was no ancillary benefit other than the previous AD loves the sport

Title IX says you're supposed to have an equal number of men & woman on scholarship. But as we all know, football throws off those numbers in a big way. That's why we have woman's soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics, and volleyball and no men's teams. When we added the 12th game Foley said the revenue from the extra home game was specifically earmarked to start/fund the woman's lacrosse team.

I have no issue w/ spending money on the non-revenue sports. But the fact we don't have a stand-alone while we're building first class multi-million dollar facilities for the non-revenue sports is ridiculous. And we're 12 years removed from any sort of football championship, just after the AD stated "we're not getting into an arms race" - and he wasn't kidding either! Like I said earlier, we probably could have built a very nice ball park for half of what they're spending.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I’ve asked the same question but never got a response.
I assumed that adding lacrosse would enable UF to offer a few more schollies in baseball or men’s track but apparently the scholly numbers in those sports are limited by the NCAA so I have no idea how this impacts Title IV or why we added the sport if there was no ancillary benefit other than the previous AD loves the sport
In the interest of full disclosure so do I. I played it for a bunch of years and was very sad the day my daughter gave it up.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Title IX says you're supposed to have an equal number of men & woman on scholarship. But as we all know, football throws off those numbers in a big way. That's why we have woman's soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics, and volleyball and no men's teams. When we added the 12th game Foley said the revenue from the extra home game was specifically earmarked to start/fund the woman's lacrosse team.

I have no issue w/ spending money on the non-revenue sports. But the fact we don't have a stand-alone while we're building first class multi-million dollar facilities for the non-revenue sports is ridiculous. And we're 12 years removed from any sort of football championship, just after the AD stated "we're not getting into an arms race" - and he wasn't kidding either! Like I said earlier, we probably could have built a very nice ball park for half of what they're spending.

I agree with everything you said but I still don’t understand what specific benefit we received when we added lacrosse specifically.

We were in compliance with title IV before we added the new sport but we didn’t add any scholarships on the men’s side so other than “feeling good “ about the additional sport, why did we do this?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Logic and reason are not part of the decision making process at the UAA. If they were, we'd have one world class stand alone football practice facility and one baseball stadium. Instead, we have two baseball stadiums and a fundraising goal.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree with everything you said but I still don’t understand what specific benefit we received when we added lacrosse specifically.

We were in compliance with title IV before we added the new sport but we didn’t add any scholarships on the men’s side so other than “feeling good “ about the additional sport, why did we do this?

I don't think we were in compliance. The 85 football scholarships tilts the numbers heavily towards the men's teams. So, I'm pretty sure adding lacrosse put us in compliance.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Logic and reason are not part of the decision making process at the UAA. If they were, we'd have one world class stand alone football practice facility and one baseball stadium. Instead, we have two baseball stadiums and a fundraising goal.

They decided to move baseball because they are putting the new football facility there. I guess the 2020 baseball season could have been cancelled last fall so they could start on the football facility. Would that dry your tears?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we were in compliance. The 85 football scholarships tilts the numbers heavily towards the men's teams. So, I'm pretty sure adding lacrosse put us in compliance.
Link?

So we have about a dozen female teams that no one else in the SEC has, forcing us to often compete in other conferences.

How are the rest of the conference in compliance?

This is just team that should easily he able to dominate a sport about which no one on the planet cares.

And the shytstain AD sicophants will be touting the trophies as excuse for why football is still third tier garbage bragging about close wins over Kintucky.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
They decided to move baseball because they are putting the new football facility there. I guess the 2020 baseball season could have been cancelled last fall so they could start on the football facility. Would that dry your tears?
Can you move out now so we can tear it down. Or are you too greedy to do even that?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Link?

So we have about a dozen female teams that no one else in the SEC has, forcing us to often compete in other conferences.

How are the rest of the conference in compliance?

This is just team that should easily he able to dominate a sport about which no one on the planet cares.

And the shytstain AD sicophants will be touting the trophies as excuse for why football is still third tier garbage bragging about close wins over Kintucky.

This is one of a few links that mentions it:

UF to add women's lacrosse starting in 2010

Discussions about adding a women's sport began as early as 2003, UF Associate Athletic Director Lynda Tealer said. Rowing, bowling, equestrian and water polo were candidates to become the first Gators addition since softball in 1997.

The chance to compete for championships, the popularity of the sport across the nation and the state -- 43 Florida high schools sponsor girls lacrosse -- and the geographic proximity of potential opponents gave lacrosse the edge.

Tealer said the addition helps show the school's continued commitment to expanding its athletic opportunities for women, one of the three ways a program can show its compliance with Title IX regulations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2: any decade now, they will get around to it.

Well, some of it.

Maybe.

Just have patience.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

we were not in compliance at the time we decided to have a lacrosse team, and lacrosse is Foley's favorite sport (if I remember correctly) which made it his "crown" jewel.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Meanwhile, no ground has been broken on our new facilities....but, over at our main rivals campus:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bammer and Climson will be on their third expansion/re model before we do anything but slap paint on our old ghetto facility.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
So has that Sully guy finally cleaned out his office so we can start to tear down our extra baseball stadium sometime in the next couple of weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.