UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Zook had better talent and didn't know what the hell to do with it. Not a clue. One game against Mississippi State (I think). He was ahead by a bunch. with time running out. Special teams, Zooks specialty, kept giving away touchdowns. All he had to do was sit on the clock. He kept right on going and they kept right on screwing up. I was so loud that game, yelling for God Sake sit on the lead, I couldn't speak for a week.

He won that game, but barely, and it was then that I knew we were in big big trouble. He was an absolutely clueless X and O's coach. You might argue with me, but he was worse than Muschamp and worse than Mac.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Zook was leaps and bounds better than Mac at this point. He recruited very well and beat some quality teams. Mac hasn't done either.
Zook's teams won on talent despite Zook. When we lost it was often on Zook. Zook didn't have a clue what he was doing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Zook's teams won on talent despite Zook. When we lost it was often on Zook. Zook didn't have a clue what he was doing.
At least he was capable of brining enough talent to attempt to overcome his shortcomings. Mac can't.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
At least he was capable of brining enough talent to attempt to overcome his shortcomings. Mac can't.
Zook was able to recruit at UF no doubt. Didn't hurt that he was following Spurrier. How well did he recruit at Illinoise? I'll answer that for you. He had a couple of good classes for Illinois but then once the newness wore off they went back to average. He was a hard worker no doubt but I think his success had more to do with UF's rep at the time.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Zook was able to recruit at UF no doubt. Didn't hurt that he was following Spurrier. How well did he recruit at Illinoise?
I give no ****s about what he did elsewhere. How well do you think Mac would recruit there?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Zook was able to recruit at UF no doubt. Didn't hurt that he was following Spurrier. How well did he recruit at Illinoise? I'll answer that for you. He had a couple of good classes for Illinois but then once the newness wore off they went back to average. He was a hard worker no doubt but I think his success had more to do with UF's rep at the time.

I wouldn't be so sure on that. Zook was the workhorse for the recruiting classes that led to those 95 and 96 Championship game teams. Those were about the only years we truly matched FSU in talent under Spurrier.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I wouldn't be so sure on that. Zook was the workhorse for the recruiting classes that led to those 95 and 96 Championship game teams. Those were about the only years we truly matched FSU in talent under Spurrier.
If you say so. Was Zook recruiting offensive players?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you say so. Was Zook recruiting offensive players?

I just remember people saying back then Spurrier wasn't big on it and Zook was helping to draw top recruits to UF. It seemed to dropoff some when he left also.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When we lost it was often on Zook. Zook didn't have a clue what he was doing.
How is this different than Mac, honestly? Most every loss we've had has been by and large attributed to piss poor coaching, playcalling, and game management and the complete inability of Mac and co to make adjustments. And he was brought in to fix the offense but it's still a freaking train wreck and no better than chumps.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just remember people saying back then Spurrier wasn't big on it and Zook was helping to draw top recruits to UF. It seemed to dropoff some when he left also.
Look, there is no doubt Zook could recruit, but this oft repeated line is simply wrong. Spurriers two highest rated classes and his only #1 class (Berlin's class) occurred AFTER Zook left.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
How is this different than Mac, honestly? Most every loss we've had has been by and large attributed to piss poor coaching, playcalling, and game management and the complete inability of Mac and co to make adjustments. And he was brought in to fix the offense but it's still a freaking train wreck and no better than chumps.
If you think that we had the talent to beat F$U and Alabama the last two years?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you think that we had the talent to beat F$U and Alabama the last two years?
No, that isn't the concern. He didn't inherit shyt, no doubt. We shouldn't have been absolutely SKULLFVKKED 7 times. We shouldn't still be waiting on his first offensive TD vs Clowtown, and our offense should be WORSE than Chimp's. But, no, we didn't have the talent to beat Clowntown or Trailerebammer.

The biggest problem is we won't have the talent to compete with them until we land three top classes. 4th or 5th in the SEC isn't a top class.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
because those are the only teams we've lost to... riiiight.
Let's see who did we lose to. In 2015 any win was a miracle with Treon. We lost to LSU. BTW losing to LSU is not an uncommon occurrence for us. In 2016 Tennesse; AA starting, lucky to be up at half. Arkansas was a complete and utter coaching failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator