UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I would have a little more confidence also if the Gators were facing a Nuss offense. I doubt any Gator fan wants us to actually lose.

I said posters of this board, not Gator fans :grin:

That said, I do honestly think there are some on here rooting for Mac to fail. Some have dug in so deep that Mac success would make them look really foolish.

Disclaimer- I'm still on the fence with Mac. Too early to completely write him off IMO. Signs aren't super positive though so I understand the frustration.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Then this Zaire conundrum is taken by naysayers to prove Franks isn't reliable as a starter. Well last year, Franks was not up for starter and Mac brought in AA = injury backup to LDR. So, without negative spin, Zaire is injury backup to Franks??
Whenever there's a rumored hint of knowledge, the immediate negative is implied and run with as fully known truth. We do not fully know much of anything on specifics on this team's status, nor particular player's status. There, I've added to the pages.

There's nothing wrong with using some logic. Why bring in Zaire when you have three supposed starting QBs in LDR, Franks and Trask? If the offense wasn't a total disaster for two years running maybe Mac&Nuss get some benefit of the doubt. But they have not earned it at all. So, logically...when you hear our coaches are recruiting Zaire hard to come here...the logical inference is that they are unhappy with the current group of QBs going into next season. I see nothing wrong in noting this instead of trying to find some other rainbow reason.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
This is wonderful news. All these Walmart Wolverine fans at work will be ****ting bricks. We will win the SEC East. FSU and LSU are within reach. Everybody sing the Johnny Wakelin - In Zaire song.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DQX5V_s-200x150.gif

Man that guy is ugly. Lol

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014

That said, I do honestly think there are some on here rooting for Mac to fail. Some have dug in so deep that Mac success would make them look really foolish.

Disclaimer- I'm still on the fence with Mac. Too early to completely write him off IMO. Signs aren't super positive though so I understand the frustration.

de70b367adfe2f8b71e638f6c9544cb9.gif

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE="NoTrainJay26, post: 516593, member: 154"The kid is obviously smart having graduated from ND and having Harvard as an option for his 5th year. I'm hoping he can pick up an offense quickly if he comes here.[/QUOTE]
Even if he learns the offense in time for Michigan, he is not a very good QB so what now... In Mac's third year we do not have an SEC caliber QB on the team....

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Who's to say we haven't already given Zaire a playbook knowing he wanted to come here and potentially knowing that the grad transfer rule would be changed? Now obviously this would only be okay if we already had a handshake agreement, and Sankey's word behind closed doors. Any chance this is possible?

No way! Only a dipstick of a coach would give a playbook to a kid before he had officially signed. There is too much risk that the kid is trolling or just changes his mind. I would like to believe that even Mac wouldn't do something so dumb. I guess I could be wrong...I hope I'm not.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

My thoughts exactly. Btw, Jay - love the new sig! :lmao2:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
No way! Only a dipstick of a coach would give a playbook to a kid before he had officially signed. There is too much risk that the kid is trolling or just changes his mind. I would like to believe that even Mac wouldn't do something so dumb. I guess I could be wrong...I hope I'm not.

I hear what you're saying but I think it's obvious he's not trolling considering how long he's delayed his decision.....

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE="NoTrainJay26, post: 516593, member: 154"The kid is obviously smart having graduated from ND and having Harvard as an option for his 5th year. I'm hoping he can pick up an offense quickly if he comes here.
Even if he learns the offense in time for Michigan, he is not a very good QB so what now... In Mac's third year we do not have an SEC caliber QB on the team....

How do we know he's not good? Because he was beat out by one of the best QBs in the country? Even then it was a tight competition where they split time early (vs Texas too, not a cupcake)

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How do we know he's not good? Because he was beat out by one of the best QBs in the country? Even then it was a tight competition where they split time early (vs Texas too, not a cupcake)
I watched him play at Notre Dame... he is not very good but, neither are any of the QB's currently on the roster.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The same Texas team that lost to Kansas?

Yes, I realize they lost to your favorite team, however to open the season they weren't considered a cupcake like we usually play.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Appleby probably had more game experience than Zaire.

Exactly people like to just throw out any idea that pops into their head. Here are the actual facts:

Appleby prior to UF: 485 pass attempts, 117 rushing attempts

Zaire: 98 pass attempts, 72 rushing attempts.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There's nothing wrong with using some logic. Why bring in Zaire when you have three supposed starting QBs in LDR, Franks and Trask? If the offense wasn't a total disaster for two years running maybe Mac&Nuss get some benefit of the doubt. But they have not earned it at all. So, logically...when you hear our coaches are recruiting Zaire hard to come here...the logical inference is that they are unhappy with the current group of QBs going into next season. I see nothing wrong in noting this instead of trying to find some other rainbow reason.

Your logic falls apart with the presumption that we were recruiting Zaire hard. All Mac has said is that if they have a spot open they'll take a transfer. Trask (knee) and LDR (Shoulders) both have injury issues. Having an experienced insurance policy isn't a bad idea.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We haven't finished a season with the same QB starting that started the season in how long? Yeah, count me as one of the folks that thinks it's no bad thing to have more game experience QBs on the roster.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Your logic falls apart with the presumption that we were recruiting Zaire hard. All Mac has said is that if they have a spot open they'll take a transfer. Trask (knee) and LDR (Shoulders) both have injury issues. Having an experienced insurance policy isn't a bad idea.

The whispers were that we went after him hard. Take it as you want. And it came from guys that are very pro-Mac.

Edit: How much would you like to bet that he starts if he comes here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator