Urban buzz

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The only issue with pressers is Mac crushed his and so did muschamp. Waiting to see actions. Offering players and making phone call is a good first step though.
Not true.....if you go back and research some of the press, most rated Mac = C, Muschamp = B-, Meyer = A and the consensus was an A for Mullen yesterday

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
For all of you worried you shouldn’t. Dooley wrote on Gatorsports in the Gainesville Sun that “Mullen gets it, let’s give him time to fix it”. Idk about you but I trust quality journalism done at the muller wrapper Gainesville Sun.

SCColaGator

Dec 31, 2016
For all of you worried you shouldn’t. Dooley wrote on Gatorsports in the Gainesville Sun that “Mullen gets it, let’s give him time to fix it”. Idk about you but I trust quality journalism done at the muller wrapper Gainesville Sun.

F.......................ck Dooley. The guy is a massive tool and his quote scares me to death.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
I liked the fact that he sounded as arrogant/confident as Spurrier when he spoke (I did not even think Meyer sounded that sure of himself when he first arrived). The biggest thing with Mullen is, and we will not know until the middle of next season is, how good of a game prep/ game coach is he. There will no longer be the excuse that he did not have the access to talent enough to match up with anyone in the SEC now. So, if he really does go get 9-10 wins in year 1, we might all have to admit that he is for real as a major head coach. 8-9 wins will not be a terrible start, but questions will linger. 7 or fewer wins and the "noise" will already be ramping in the system in my opinion.
As far as game prep coach, if he can get us successfully past the first set of scripted plays on offense, it's a success! :)

TheGatorsRGreat

Banned
BANNED
Nov 13, 2017
Put down the pipe crackhead. There is a reason no one hired him for the last nine years.

Why would he leave? He was paid as well as most SEC coaches. Unless someone was going to step up and pay him a tier one salary he had no reason to go.

Is he a tier one coach? I don't know, that remains to be seen. Like I said, I'm 50/50 on him, but willing to give the dude a chance.

Trinity

Nov 11, 2017
The only issue with pressers is Mac crushed his and so did muschamp. Waiting to see actions. Offering players and making phone call is a good first step though.

No, I went back and rewatched the first part of Mac's intro presser last night (Insomnia sucks) and he didn't even close to crush it. When he opened it up to questions he was sweating and I think right then he knew he was in over his head. I'm not a Mullen pumper but he did absolutely nail the presser. Couldn't have done it better IMO.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, I went back and rewatched the first part of Mac's intro presser last night (Insomnia sucks) and he didn't even close to crush it. When he opened it up to questions he was sweating and I think right then he knew he was in over his head. I'm not a Mullen pumper but he did absolutely nail the presser. Couldn't have done it better IMO.
Get an avatar bro.

House rules.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well I've certainly done my share of venting and ripping that amateur Strickland for this panic hire. Mullen certainly was not my choice or anywhere being on a list of possibilities for me. But that not the case and it is what it is. The venting and the teeth gnashing are over. Let's hope for the best. My concerns are wide receiver and the fact that Gonzalez couldn't teach pass routes to a flag football team. Watching this year's MSU wide receiver corps raises a lot of flags for that issue alone. Let's hope this is an anomaly and somehow the wide receivers looks competent enough to run decent routes. Let's see what he can do. With the cupboard that was left him we'll be lucky to win six games next year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ever hear of a dude name Spurrier?
People forget that SOS scored 35-50 THEN started running out the clock. We often played second and third string QBs, WRs, and other offense.

Ive never understood running out the clock first then trying to take the lead in the fourth.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I don't understand how anybody can see this as anything but a home run hire. He won 8 games a year at freaking Mississippi State!!!!!!!!!!!! We have been terrible on offense since the day he left! The most prolific offense in our history was his. You guys are nuts.
Miss St is not like UF who plays FSU every year. They have 4 legit cupcakes year after year so to win 8 games a year means winning 4 games of the remaining 8. Factor in their cross rival is Kentucky which is pretty much a win as well and your down to winning 3 games a year to get to 8 wins. So getting 8 wins don't seem to hard when 5 games a year are pretty much marked as W in the off season.

My main concern is the fact that when he does manage to beat the Auburn, LSU, UF, TN of the world are years they were really down. The fact that he's only beat 2 teams with winning SEC records in 9 years should scare you. Mark Stoops has more wins against teams with winning SEC records your telling me that players go there quicker than Miss St? Id say it's about the same and Mark Stoops is considered a joke by most.

I'll admit I'm not this wagon at all right now and i may never get on just as I never did with Mac. It's gonna take a few really good recruiting classes (top 5) and a couple 10 win seasons before I start believing in a coach that has a losing record in the SEC

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I thought about this as I was listening to the presser getting increasingly excited and noticing the Meyeresque similarities. The man wants to win. Fiercely competitive.

Right now I'm a bit brain dead, end of day and all, but the way I remembered it,Mac was still more laid back, and talked with confidence, probably talked about the facilities promise and what that would mean, and talked about the importance of relationship, as well as organizing the efficiency of support staff. Also of course the type of offense he wanted, and he addressed OL depletion.

Mac didn't or couldn't follow though, was inept, whatever. Does that sound or look like the Mullen that was here with Meyer, or at MSU?

Mullen sounds like he is almost starting where he left off with the championship class. He seems more pragmatically directed and has pieces to his plan. He talked about this some in answering questions. - how there is an outline and the components differ according to the school, the particular team, etc. Mac had an outline but was short on the pieces.Basically one thing he was going to do regardless of talent and insisted on poor use of what was there and doing what did not work.

Mullen talked about the advantage of years of experience learning what worked, and not using these words, having a burning desire to keep improving and actively reaching out to expand his knowledge and tools.Gave some examples. He is clearly the kind of person who pushes himself and others toward excellence. Seems very type A. Reminiscent of Meyer.

I have to confess though, he reeled me in going on about the legacy of Florida football, and what the school represents and the importance of the players getting all that and representing the school and program well. Also hooked me when he talked about the great players in talent and character who have come through here and how it was so important to include them in this program as a resource for the players and to be mentors who hold them to accountability on and off the field. Wants the players here wearing a number to connect to the quality of effort put forth by those Gator greats that wore the number before. He passionately wants to get the program back to the high level it was at when he left.

I think he hates the mocking of UF as much as any of the fans. He is not a win some lose some, well it was a good learning experience, wonder what choice the players will make, we'll see what they do next week, they played hard, kind of guy and I expect looking at his MSU players that he's going to have the tools to create competency and skill. Will demand it in fact.

I don't see him getting overwhelmed out of his depth, or easing off on effort, and he comes across as having a much better handle on the entirety of his job than anyone since Meyer. He's been playing in the SEC West against really challenging physical opponents. While Mac did also, he was OC with a heavily talent loaded team. I'm very encouraged for the first time in a long time. I am also sort of holding my breath hoping we see major improvement next year, particularly in being coached up and stupid mistakes eliminated. Very encouraged about who he has hired, who he has let go. I will feel more relaxed after the first couple of games. The discipline and coaching should show the contrast to this year.

Last edited:

ccsdk

True Gator
Nov 12, 2017
I liked the fact that he sounded as arrogant/confident as Spurrier when he spoke (I did not even think Meyer sounded that sure of himself when he first arrived). The biggest thing with Mullen is, and we will not know until the middle of next season is, how good of a game prep/ game coach is he. There will no longer be the excuse that he did not have the access to talent enough to match up with anyone in the SEC now. So, if he really does go get 9-10 wins in year 1, we might all have to admit that he is for real as a major head coach. 8-9 wins will not be a terrible start, but questions will linger. 7 or fewer wins and the "noise" will already be ramping in the system in my opinion.
Lets not kid ourselves. As soon as he loses his first game, we'll be on him like flies on @#$%...its who we are!!!

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The cupboard is truly bare right now. Muschamp left Mac in way better shape than this.

7 or 8 wins would be a positive for this shell of a team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator