Urban opens up about mental health issues

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To semi quote one of Ox's posts from years ago, he was a shooting star that burned bright and fast for us.

The two national championships were worth the six or seven years we've been garbage.

Hopefully Mac can bring us back.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Meyer is very concerned about his legacy, especially his wife (who responded to criticism coming out of Gainesville after he left). This article is pure legacy building in nature. His "plight" is a joke, considering he literally took one season off (if you only count 2011, and not 2010 when he wasn't doing much coaching in Gainesville)...and worked for ESPN, essentially full-time. So, to get over his "stress" he worked as a CFB analyst for ESPN. Yeah, he "needed" a break from coaching. He left Gainesville in January 2011 and started in Columbus in December 2011 (and possibly as early as November). This is him covering his ass because he knows, outside of Columbus, he's considered a full of sh*t assh*le.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ambien and alcohol do not mix. Trust me on this. I've found out the hard way. He's lucky that he had his wife to lock him down. You literally sleep walk and don't remember what you did.
Literally. I mean absolutely literally.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
An article meant to tug on my heart strings. Sorry, I'm not that easily manipulated. This was a joke.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
:cry2: - that should about sum it up

mental illness is a gift?
It's a matter of measure. I had had two very talented and very OCD bosses who knew how to channel it. And one hyperactive boss who did not.

Last edited:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I, like Ox, have an appreciation for the 2 NC he brought. I also believe that the analogy "when the going gets tough..." holds true too. He couldn't take the heat/pressure he created.

I think he realized he did it the wrong way - he sold his soul and the future for the big near term prize, and once that solid rocket was lit, there is no way to turn it off. He saw the pending explosion 2 years early, and saw no way to stop it, and that is what tore him up.

I appreciate what he did, but he'll never come close to being the "ambassador and consultant" at UF. He was a self-created mercenary.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All of this is just a cover story to hide the fact that he was sleeping with another coach's wife.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Meyer is very concerned about his legacy, especially his wife (who responded to criticism coming out of Gainesville after he left). This article is pure legacy building in nature. His "plight" is a joke, considering he literally took one season off (if you only count 2011, and not 2010 when he wasn't doing much coaching in Gainesville)...and worked for ESPN, essentially full-time. So, to get over his "stress" he worked as a CFB analyst for ESPN. Yeah, he "needed" a break from coaching. He left Gainesville in January 2011 and started in Columbus in December 2011 (and possibly as early as November). This is him covering his ass because he knows, outside of Columbus, he's considered a full of sh*t assh*le.
Jilted much?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
a mind is a turrible thing to waste

:chomp:

Last edited:

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I wish him the best. Too bad he was never a true Gator.
Urbs is what most coaches are today: MERCENARY. Legacy coaches are among the few who don't belong in that category but even they can be lured away by more loot, greener pastures or bigger challenges.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You know I will always thank Urban for the two titles and how much fun his tenure was but there is only one thing I want from him and we will never get it due to the person he is.

I want him to apologize to us the fans for taking the year off and not caring about the program in 2010. I just want him to come out and say that he messed up and the fans and the team deserved better than that performance...

However, the guy is arrogant and prideful and it will never happen.

Zero debate from me on Meyer being a selfish, arrogant jackass. And I'll agree that once his heart was no longer in it at UF, he put little effort into things.

That said, as has been discussed, it was really Foley, and by extension UF, that was caught flat-footed and needed Meyer to stay for that 2010 season. While a huge portion of it didn't pan out, that 2010 class would've absolutely fallen apart if he hadn't stayed. As bad as the WM years were, try to imagine those years without guys like Easley, Floyd, Elam, Kitchens, Ball, Michael Taylor, Trey Burton, Orr, etc. I'm not sure we win a single game in '11 or '12 without those guys. It also gave Foley time to land who he really wanted. Yes, he messed that up entirely, but he was at least afforded the time to do it so he couldn't use the 2002 "rushed" excuse.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm no Meyer fan. The culture he created was toxic and I hate the whole leaving/Ohio State thing. I wish nothing but failure for the guy. But his staying that last season was one of the few positive things he did for us in his last couple of years.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Urbs is what most coaches are today: MERCENARY. Legacy coaches are among the few who don't belong in that category but even they can be lured away by more loot, greener pastures or bigger challenges.
Yes, unfortunately mostly true.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All of this is just a cover story to hide the fact that he was sleeping with another coach's wife.
Homey say what?!?!? I heard there were rumors that he (and Shelly) had affairs... but I've never heard of him being accused of banging another coaches wife.?.?

Who? The only one that comes to mind is maybe Gonzales because of the hastiness in which he left....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That said, as has been discussed, it was really Foley, and by extension UF, that was caught flat-footed and needed Meyer to stay for that 2010 season.

A lot of that decision was due to what happened with Spurrier. Not having notice until January that coach was leaving, and no backup plan (2002). Strong was a backup plan, and he had already committed to Louisville. Addazio was Meyer's chosen successor (let that sink in). The year was an odd year in the facility, with Addazio being given almost full control over the complex until Meyer felt "healthy" enough to come back. A few people in the support staff I know, left UF because of the toxic environment (their words not mine) which they attributed to Addazio. There were a lot of problems behind the scenes, that aren't all Meyer's direct fault. But all caused by Meyer's half hearted staying, and Foley's lack of planning.

Thinking Spurrier wouldn't leave, kind of made sense. He had been passing on offers for half a decade. The death of that freshman during summer drills really changed his outlook (IMO). Assuming Meyer wouldn't leave on a moments notice was just poor planning on Foley's part, especially after the debacle of 2002.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Homey say what?!?!? I heard there were rumors that he (and Shelly) had affairs... but I've never heard of him being accused of banging another coaches wife.?.?

Who? The only one that comes to mind is maybe Gonzales because of the hastiness in which he left....
I've said too much already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator