Urban opens up about mental health issues

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zero debate from me on Meyer being a selfish, arrogant jackass. And I'll agree that once his heart was no longer in it at UF, he put little effort into things.

That said, as has been discussed, it was really Foley, and by extension UF, that was caught flat-footed and needed Meyer to stay for that 2010 season. While a huge portion of it didn't pan out, that 2010 class would've absolutely fallen apart if he hadn't stayed. As bad as the WM years were, try to imagine those years without guys like Easley, Floyd, Elam, Kitchens, Ball, Michael Taylor, Trey Burton, Orr, etc. I'm not sure we win a single game in '11 or '12 without those guys. It also gave Foley time to land who he really wanted. Yes, he messed that up entirely, but he was at least afforded the time to do it so he couldn't use the 2002 "rushed" excuse.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm no Meyer fan. The culture he created was toxic and I hate the whole leaving/Ohio State thing. I wish nothing but failure for the guy. But his staying that last season was one of the few positive things he did for us in his last couple of years.[/QUOTE

No one in their wildest dreams including anyone on this board would have expected Meyer to up and quit without notice after the incredible run. Just don't forget that he didn't stay out of the goodness of his heart, Foley paid him an additional million dollars on top of everything he already earned to stay for another year to give him time to find a replacement. While he may have had trouble sleeping, the medical excuse was the perfect exit story.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Funny. My brain literally thought "mental" in the title was "menstrual". I read it again in a quick double take and still had it wrong. After reading the thread, astonished that nobody made fun of it..... I read it for a 3rd time. :lol:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
M3 didn't like the "southern" way or "southerners" IMHO. The guy was destined to go back to his rust belt comfort zone of sorts at a moments notice. I'll always be appreciative of the run and championships. In the end though, we became fly-weights in our own league. I'm happy Mac is with us bringing us closer to the better body form/size by position needed to topple the likes of Bama, etc..

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Urban didn't want to talk. He didn't sit on a chair; he sat on the couch. He spoke for more than
an hour when he only wanted to speak for 30 minutes. He makes Sherry laugh again. There's
that famous pink sheet of notebook paper with "instructions-for-Dad."

After that loss, he stood up and gave the best speech of his coaching career =
"We will learn. We will get better." :bananadance:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
urban_594625a.jpg

Hang on Urbie, Urbie hang on.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
TLDR. He is a pvssy. We knew it already.

Chasing ambiens w beer to forget combat deaths of your friends? I get it. Chasing ambiens w beer bc of PTSD from Saban? Sorry, no sympathy.
Not to mention that ambien and alcohol is a no, no...I witnessed the result of that first hand in Afghanistan

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You could tell Urb was mind ****ed by the pressure of the job. He was the man in the arena, He earned what we paid him. Hate a guy that brought in so many great players and then won two titles with them? Not me. Read what David Nelson is doing now. If anyone could come close to the character and greatness of Danny it was Timmy. Maybe we needed another Bates to bring some levity to that era.
Man in the arena. After SOS not many jobs came with the expectations of the UF job.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You know I will always thank Urban for the two titles and how much fun his tenure was but there is only one thing I want from him and we will never get it due to the person he is.

I want him to apologize to us the fans for taking the year off and not caring about the program in 2010. I just want him to come out and say that he messed up and the fans and the team deserved better than that performance...

However, the guy is arrogant and prideful and it will never happen.
I don't think he owes us anything. We've got 2 crystal trophies to show for his efforts and I'm fine with that. Would've been great if he had stayed for 20 years, but it just didn't work out that way.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
No one in their wildest dreams including anyone on this board would have expected Meyer to up and quit without notice after the incredible run. Just don't forget that he didn't stay out of the goodness of his heart, Foley paid him an additional million dollars on top of everything he already earned to stay for another year to give him time to find a replacement. While he may have had trouble sleeping, the medical excuse was the perfect exit story.
Don't forget the co-excuse- wanting to spend more time with his family, watch his son play ball (tear in eye)

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
You know I will always thank Urban for the two titles and how much fun his tenure was but there is only one thing I want from him and we will never get it due to the person he is.

I want him to apologize to us the fans for taking the year off and not caring about the program in 2010. I just want him to come out and say that he messed up and the fans and the team deserved better than that performance...

However, the guy is arrogant and prideful and it will never happen.
because he really doesn't give a ****e.

veroG8tr

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2014
"Chasing Ambien with beer to sleep." Probably listening to a lot of Pat Travers during that stretch as well.
Boom Boom, out go the lights!
I think we should have a discussion on the most gifted and unrated musician. Mr. Pat Travers. Instead of Urban, the buckeye. Who has his his dream job doesn't give two sh$ts about us and has found new love of yoga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator