Username explaination

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
During my coaching time, I really enjoyed coaching secondary. Though offensive football has changed significantly, most teams sought to beat you into submission with a strong running game and a big part of defending the run required being stout in Cover 2...corners playing flat coverage and protecting the flanks, safeties playing halves and alleys. You needed four pretty tough nuts that were trainable to efficiently run that coverage and I prided myself on getting our kids to play it. I learned from a really good secondary guy who remains a friend to this day. “cover2” is part tribute to Coach Jones, part remembrance of when football was more gladiatorial.

Former Wakulla War Eagle Coach J.D. Jones was inducted into the Florida Athletic Coaches Association (FACA) Hall of Fame on Jan. 11 in Daytona Beach.

Jones coached War Eagle teams at Wakulla High School for 33 years. A graduate of Troy State University, he was head football coach for 29 years and served as athletic director for five years. He also coached basketball, weightlifting and softball and had an opportunity to coach his two sons and daughter on the field of play.

He posted a 219-99 record and was named “Coach of the Year” 13 times by various organizations. Jones was also inducted into the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA). The War Eagles won the state championship in 1980 and 1981 and made numerous other trips into the state playoffs during his tenure. He also won coach of the year honors in softball and weightlifting.

Coach Jones had a philosophy that every game he was involved in was the “biggest game of the season” and that every play was a “highlight.” He still follows the Wakulla War Eagle sports program while enjoying the outdoors and sporting activities.

FACA Second Vice President Todd Lanter took part in the ceremonies. Lanter played two seasons as War Eagle starting quarterback in high school while Jones was coach. The FACA has been selecting Hall of Fame members since 1977.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Never seen officiating home cooking displayed in such a blatant way as they’ve managed to do at Wakulla HS.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Former Wakulla War Eagle Coach J.D. Jones was inducted into the Florida Athletic Coaches Association (FACA) Hall of Fame on Jan. 11 in Daytona Beach.

Jones coached War Eagle teams at Wakulla High School for 33 years. A graduate of Troy State University, he was head football coach for 29 years and served as athletic director for five years. He also coached basketball, weightlifting and softball and had an opportunity to coach his two sons and daughter on the field of play.

He posted a 219-99 record and was named “Coach of the Year” 13 times by various organizations. Jones was also inducted into the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA). The War Eagles won the state championship in 1980 and 1981 and made numerous other trips into the state playoffs during his tenure. He also won coach of the year honors in softball and weightlifting.

Coach Jones had a philosophy that every game he was involved in was the “biggest game of the season” and that every play was a “highlight.” He still follows the Wakulla War Eagle sports program while enjoying the outdoors and sporting activities.

FACA Second Vice President Todd Lanter took part in the ceremonies. Lanter played two seasons as War Eagle starting quarterback in high school while Jones was coach. The FACA has been selecting Hall of Fame members since 1977.
Not the same Coach Jones I referred to, but I was across the field from Coach JD Jones when I was at Shanks in the early ‘90’s. Legendary high school coach. His kids were always tough nuts. And yes, Wakulla was a hard place to come away with a win!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
During my coaching time, I really enjoyed coaching secondary. Though offensive football has changed significantly, most teams sought to beat you into submission with a strong running game and a big part of defending the run required being stout in Cover 2...corners playing flat coverage and protecting the flanks, safeties playing halves and alleys. You needed four pretty tough nuts that were trainable to efficiently run that coverage and I prided myself on getting our kids to play it. I learned from a really good secondary guy who remains a friend to this day. “cover2” is part tribute to Coach Jones, part remembrance of when football was more gladiatorial.

It’s a great D against two back sets and when dealing with a mobile QB. The cover 2 used to
give Vick fits . Not so great against the accurate passers of today that wear out the middle of the field with posts , digs etc . In today’s game It asks a lot of the safeties as you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.