Visitors this weekend

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Bad class for o-line talent. Next year the that talent is excessive and we're in the hunt for the majority of it. Expect this class to only have around 3 or 4 max with no great talent.

Then again, o-line is just such a crap shoot.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bad class for o-line talent. Next year the that talent is excessive and we're in the hunt for the majority of it. Expect this class to only have around 3 or 4 max with no great talent.

It really diesnt matter. Ivy was the only "talent" from last year's class. The kids from the 2017 class wont be ready for the field until 2019 or 2020.

We need bodies on the OL yesterday. Only half will ever see the field due to injuries or flops. We are still a long way from even being mediocre on the OL.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm real concerned of the lack of OL and LB on that list. Hopefully we are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it would nice to get some top talent and not some last second 1AA transfer or kid we stole from FAU.
I can promise this staff isn't gonna sign only 2 linemen

It really diesnt matter. Ivy was the only "talent" from last year's class. The kids from the 2017 class wont be ready for the field until 2019 or 2020.

We need bodies on the OL yesterday. Only half will ever see the field due to injuries or flops. We are still a long way from even being mediocre on the OL.

I agree. We just need bodies. If you look at the roster right now we have 4-5 kids that were not even recruited that are listed at that position. Probably just walk ons. Even with all the red shirts this year I think we will only sit around 2 deep next year. This is seriously a bad, bad year for o-line in Florida.

It is a bit concerning that so many out of school states have come in and poached this year's talent. We kept continuity with Mike Summers and yet still schools like Duke come in and takes our lineman.

As far as linebackers are concerned I don't understand what's going on. But if we can pull Wilson and maybe Uche from South Florida it will be a pretty good LB class. 

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, that is rivals top 100 in Florida that I posted above.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Fred Johnson looks like he's gonna end being a pretty good lineman too.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've got 20 offensive linemen on the roster. 2 are seniors and 5 are walk ons. So we have 13 scholarship guys returning assuming that none of them are injured or kicked off the team in the meantime.

So even though we don't have to worry about having enough linemen for the spring game, we definitely have plenty of room. I'd like to see us carry around 20 scholarship guys.

Interestingly though, we won't have any seniors on the line next year. Also of note is that only 2 of our guys (Sharpe and Ivey) had more than 3 stars. I understand that it's tough to evaluate linemen in high school, but I'd expect more than 2.

At any rate, I think we're at the point now that we can stop saying we need "bodies" and start trying to bring in some quality.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We've got 20 offensive linemen on the roster. 2 are seniors and 5 are walk ons. So we have 13 scholarship guys returning assuming that none of them are injured or kicked off the team in the meantime.
Right. 13 scholarship guys right now, Halter and Thurman are gone after this year. Riles is already back to DL, hopefully never to return. Harkless, Mike and Dorsey are just as terrible as Riles and shouldn't be on the field. (I know Dorsey has been some early in the season, but he sucked more than Riles and won't be back.) Frankly, we should show them the door, but we can't because of no other depth.

Jordan and Johnson have shown promise for true freshmen. I'm expecting contributions from Sandifer and McCoy. Maybe Desir-Jones, maybe. He is a project.

I don't know how we replace Halter and Thurman. The freshmen are still two years away. Dillard is terrible, too but we probably have to keep him on the field to allow Jordan at guard for now until we find someone else.

We still need bodies, and lots of them. Hopefully a few JCs also because we need the OL terribly, and we needed them 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right. 13 scholarship guys right now, Halter and Thurman are gone after this year. Riles is already back to DL, hopefully never to return. Harkless, Mike and Dorsey are just as terrible as Riles and shouldn't be on the field. (I know Dorsey has been some early in the season, but he sucked more than Riles and won't be back.) Frankly, we should show them the door, but we can't because of no other depth.

Jordan and Johnson have shown promise for true freshmen. I'm expecting contributions from Sandifer and McCoy. Maybe Desir-Jones, maybe. He is a project.

I don't know how we replace Halter and Thurman. The freshmen are still two years away. Dillard is terrible, too but we probably have to keep him on the field to allow Jordan at guard for now until we find someone else.

We still need bodies, and lots of them. Hopefully a few JCs also because we need the OL terribly, and we needed them 3 or 4 years ago.
All of those guys who are terrible are "bodies". I think we have graduated from needing bodies just to field a team and we're moving on to needing to replace guys that aren't very good with guys who are. A small step in the right direction.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Great post. Our starting 5 next year will probably be: Sharpe, Ivey, Jordan, Johnson, Dillard.

Desir Jones, Riles, Sandifer, and McCoy will back them up. Sandifer needs to drop some weight in my opinion.

We have a bunch of 6' walk ons on the line. I say bench all of these guys and put those walk ons in. Then Harris will be able to see over the line.

:britney:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

For God's sake ... OLwise, we're boxed in .. so think out of the box .. find
a couple of Samoan Greco-Roman wrestlers or Sumo wrestlers, please.
C'mon man, coach 'em up. A leaky OL needs a fireplug.
Since the brain is mostly fat, they should learn fast and even improve
our graduation rate.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For God's sake ... OLwise, we're boxed in .. so think out of the box .. find
a couple of Samoan Greco-Roman wrestlers or Sumo wrestlers, please.
C'mon man, coach 'em up. A leaky OL needs a fireplug.
Since the brain is mostly fat, they should learn fast and even improve
our graduation rate.

200.gif

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fred Johnson looks like he's gonna end being a pretty good lineman too.

Anybody know about that kid from NC State? He is also a true freshman but had to redshirt because he was an EE there. He seems to be the forgotten freshman because he was added later. I "think" he was a center.?.?. Maybe he could outplay Dillard for the job next year....

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Of course nobody needs a guy who can kick a 70 yard FG ... miss that and your opponent gets the ball at your 30. However, a guy with that kind of distance
can probably very carefully have easy-aim at 45 yards. Love to flip him to us.

Actually a missed 70 yard FG leaves the ball on your 47; this is an area I have no problem going for it on 4th and short. Even if you don't want to go for 70 yard FGs routinely, there are times when 3 points look huge. I say we recruit this imaginary guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.