We Got Rolled (as most expected); Bright spot? Beat the spread

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Morris or Brewer (it seemed like Brewer fumbled every 3 snap).
Oh yes, Brewer during that '86 season while Kerwin was hurt. He was awful. How about, wasn't it (last name here) Douglas later in 80's?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh yes, Brewer during that '86 season while Kerwin was hurt. He was awful. How about, wasn't it (last name here) Douglas later in 80's?

Donald Douglas, I don't remember hating him as much as Brewer, but Brewer was taking the place of an injured Bell. Douglas was during the interm year with Lex Smith.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Donald Douglas, I don't remember hating him as much as Brewer, but Brewer was taking the place of an injured Bell. Douglas was during the interm year with Lex Smith.
If I remember correctly, Douglas wasn't much of a passer, still, he didn't miss as many open targets as Treon has.

Ironically, Treon actually did better when he was still in competition with Grier, although that was against lesser opponents.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It is almost as if Treon has regressed over the course of the year. I don't know if he is just having trouble with the offense or if he doesn't have the same passion, but he doesn't seem to be growing at all which is surprising with Mac and Nuss as coach.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It is almost as if Treon has regressed over the course of the year. I don't know if he is just having trouble with the offense or if he doesn't have the same passion, but he doesn't seem to be growing at all which is surprising with Mac and Nuss as coach.
I think they all lost confidence in themselves and each other.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Between that play and then the one right before halftime on third down where he sort of pitched the ball out of bounds to prevent a sack and save maybe three yards. Stopped the clock for Bama so they didn't have to use a timeout. If not for the great punt and block in the back on the ensuing punt that could have been disastrous.

Forgot about that one. That was a true WTF moment.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I remember correctly, Douglas wasn't much of a passer, still, he didn't miss as many open targets as Treon has.

Ironically, Treon actually did better when he was still in competition with Grier, although that was against lesser opponents.

Weaker competition and healthier line. We were able to run the ball in the earlier games. Defenses after UGA started to crowd the line and force him to be a pocket passer. He is better out of the pocket (still a 50-55% passer) and he isn't SEC-caliber. But we are in a first year in a new system, and at least two full recruiting cycles until we have the right talent.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Weaker competition and healthier line. We were able to run the ball in the earlier games. Defenses after UGA started to crowd the line and force him to be a pocket passer. He is better out of the pocket (still a 50-55% passer) and he isn't SEC-caliber. But we are in a first year in a new system, and at least two full recruiting cycles until we have the right talent.
One of the incoming freshman QBs will have to step up for 1st 6 games. O-line will be better, but even with that, I don't see Treon improving.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of the incoming freshman QBs will have to step up for 1st 6 games. O-line will be better, but even with that, I don't see Treon improving.

Agreed, Harris isn't a fit. The most significant thing we need is a deep, healthy line.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
If Harris continues to play, I think they should throw the ball down the field. It was the only thing that worked against Alabama at all. If they come up with some good throws and catches, they will score some points on offense. The defense is good enough that they will not need to score 40 points, I think.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I might be mistaken, but I think the year with Brewer was 1985. He essentially ended his Gator football career by coming in against Rutgers that year with a significant lead and throwing (I think) three picks that helped Rutgers tie us 28-28. Too bad because the guy was a good athlete and again, if I'm remembering correctly, went on to have a decent baseball career at UF. He was a leftie and threw a beautiful ball. Unfortunatley it was to the opposition. I think I'd still give him a shot over Treon!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Florida didn't cover the spread, they beat the spread. Only the favored team can cover. Just a pet peeve of mine, carry on.
Duly noted. Please forgive my ignorance of Gambling semantics.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I might be mistaken, but I think the year with Brewer was 1985. He essentially ended his Gator football career by coming in against Rutgers that year with a significant lead and throwing (I think) three picks that helped Rutgers tie us 28-28. Too bad because the guy was a good athlete and again, if I'm remembering correctly, went on to have a decent baseball career at UF. He was a leftie and threw a beautiful ball. Unfortunatley it was to the opposition. I think I'd still give him a shot over Treon!
Yes, he did do that, but I'm pretty sure he was Kerwin's backup in 86 for the, I believe it was four games he was hurt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Harris continues to play, I think they should throw the ball down the field. It was the only thing that worked against Alabama at all.
Yeah, well to do that, he has to have long enough in the pocket for the receivers to run down field. Oddly enough your Bammers decided to allow that, by rushing three and dropping everyone else into soft coverage. Most haven't.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, he did do that, but I'm pretty sure he was Kerwin's backup in 86 for the, I believe it was four games he was hurt.

Had drawn a blank about '86 with the exception of the Auburn game that year (who could forget) and the finale in Tally, so I looked it up and and Brewer was indeed the back-up, throwing 3 TD's and 5 picks. Thanks for the memories, Savannah. One other tidbit from the minor research was the name of the third QB who played a little that season, whom I had forgoten...Pepe Lescano! Seems like he was the 2nd string guy the next year, however.

I remember going to the Miami and Alabama games that were two of the four early losses, but just can't remember the QB play in them. I am ashamed to say that I was in love and drunk (or vice versa) and concentrating more on those efforts than the games. I rebounded (read that as broke up with the female of my attentions) and as stated above, enjoyed the Auburn win as well as the game with FSU in Tallahassee (Bell to Nattiel late for the win on a rainy evening).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Regarding casting stones at the coaches, they get pad millions, it's their job to innovate, it's my job as an "irate fan" to throw stones. And there have been plenty of suggestions on this forum on what to do; playing the backups, running Treon, using a fullback, etc.

And during the game I also wondered if a fullback would have helped Taylor as well.

You made me raff.

...Throw in some down to to heal up all those battle wounds and we have a decent shot at having a much less self-destructive OL.

UF, putting the OL in LOL since Addazzio days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.