We put up a damn good fight

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The sad thing about "our best players leaving" comment - ALL of those players were recruited by Butters. The 3 classes Mullen has brought in, outside of the transfer players, have yet to develop. Next year, most of the roster is his, so we'll see what the 3-star whisperer does with 'his' guys. The irresponsible DL & OL recruiting is going to be a glaring deficiency next year.

It’s not uncommon for the last guy’s players to be some of the best into year 3. But at this point last year we were losing VJ(his guy), Swain, Hammond and Perine and were called to see a tremendous drop off. Outside of Wright/Pierce replacing LP, that didn’t happen. We got better. And as I said last night, Trask was good but not this level good. Same with Pitts and Toney. Like all of this staff or not, they are developing some of these guys into what we’ve seen. Guys like Zip and Gamble have the ability to be great. More reps helped Copeland, so hopefully that continues. And the OL will be aided by Jones and his threats.

I’d also add Grimes as one of his guys that have excelled. That TD last night was an NFL play and I hope he makes a fortune.

I do feel like Pierce has sort of plateaued, but think Wright and Bowman will be great. Point being, it’s not a whole lot difference than this point last year. We have guys that haven’t stepped up yet, but that doesn’t mean they won’t. Offensively we proven we can do that. Defense needs an overhaul in the sidelines. There is enough talent there to be fine. They aren’t being coached well enough. Wilson declined and Elam’s jump from year 1 to 2 was almost nonexistent. That’s inexcusable. Every defensive coach should be given a pink slip.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Mullen in his post-game presser said this is the last time this team will play together. Sounds like some may have already told the coaches they are opting out of the bowl game.
That would be my guess. Guys like Pitts, Trask, etc have a real shot at the NFL.
Just to play in a bowl game with no shot at the MNC makes no sense.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As special as this offensive group is, I’m frustrated they weren’t able to achieve more. It’s deflating... at least that is how I’m feeling this morning. I like having GatorChatter as a place to vent.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Unless we find a better offensive line off the street next years offense will be worse as it will be heavily run oriented.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Unless we find a better offensive line off the street next years offense will be worse as it will be heavily run oriented.
Dan referenced us needing to be better, more physical in the trenches post game, yet we can't seem to close on just that type of player in recruiting. SMH

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That would be my guess. Guys like Pitts, Trask, etc have a real shot at the NFL.
Just to play in a bowl game with no shot at the MNC makes no sense.

I have never agreed with the “sit out the bowl game” mentality but unfortunately it has very quickly become the norm.

I guess I am old and stubborn so I still have this silly attitude that when you play a season you play the entire season.
Then again, I believe that when you attend a dinner you don’t leave when dessert is served.

What a dinosaur I am.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can’t ever get excited about losing or “putting up a good fight”. If you do you pretty much relegate your expectations to be less and less until losing doesn’t matter so much. It becomes expectational atrophy.

I’m a little sick and tired of people saying stuff like, “ Well, you know, it WAS Alabama sooooo.....we did ok.” Seriously, f**k Alabama and f**k all this reverence like they are some kind of mythical creatures. I’m sick of it. There is zero reason we should ever accept them being on a higher level than we are.....ever.

We pay these coaches multiple millions to BEAT these teams. That’s their job. This year we had a generational QB that we won’t see the likes of again for another 20 years maybe. Same with Pitts. We squandered those guys by not teaming them up with a defense that was even mediocre. That’s a crime that falls squarely on the head coach. So while I certainly appreciate the efforts of the players this year I can’t get over the fact that they had to play with a handicap.

So thanks for the great effort..... but losing is losing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dan referenced us needing to be better, more physical in the trenches post game, yet we can't seem to close on just that type of player in recruiting. SMH
I'm not even convinced we're particularly interested in recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So thanks for the great effort..... but losing is losing.
No one put up a great effort on defense but apparently we now just write that off.

if we make them punt twice a game we're happy with that.

Just amazing how we try to laud people like Sharky and Dan Dullen for being losers.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The OP got 18 likes on his "moral victory" post to start this thread. The list of the 18 people who liked it are all the people you'd pretty much expect. Check out the list and shake your head.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Of course I was. Our Gators put up a great fight. Todd Grantham not so much. His sucky sucktitude sucked out loud.
"We put up a great fight" is something that would come out of the mouth of a Boston College fan or the like.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"We put up a great fight" is something that would come out of the mouth of a Boston College fan or the like.

So then I guess you're of the opinion the players didn't play hard and put up a good fight? I kinda thought a couple of stops and out scoring Bama 14-0 in the 3rd quarter was pretty scrappy of them. Then Todd Gratham started calling a prevent defense and let Bama salt the game away in the 4th. They have to run the play called. There's no QB out there calling audibles for the defense that I'm aware of.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tincer CHAMPIONS OF LIFE!!!!!!!

It started w Lil Kiffy. He was so proud of keeping the game within 7-10 points too.

YEAH!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator