We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brick by brick.

That's what happens when you dont bother to sign inside linebackers for years.
ebb029065797ead6576c1cb36aa48b737fcf7dc29ca11809466bf161e99cabd9.jpg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Back to the time of the year the services tell us how good all the QBs are looking in practice etc. and Driskel will surely break out this season because he just has too much talent not to.

Sometimes you can get a little info from their articles if you just focus on the individual plays and where the QBs are struggling.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If he ends up being the starter or even 2nd stribg it's bc we neglected LB for the last 4 years, not bc some walkin is the next Davis or anzalone.

DSS, I agree and the sugar-coating by pumpers is not unexpected. It's the same sentiment w/ any 3-star we sign that turns out to be a decent player. Bottom line is we neglected LB recruiting. We have no scholarship Juniors or Senior LBs. That's telling. Just like this year, we have no RS freshman or sophomore scholarship DTs on the roster.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From the 247 practice notes:

Defensive tackle Luke Ancrum still appears far too light to really play major minutes inside. It's easy to wonder at this point if he'll ever add the size Florida's coaches thought he might when they slotted him at nose tackle.

---

I know they want Polite and CeCe to play some DT. I'd like to hear how those two look. I'm surprised there's not a new roster posted w/ updated weights/sizes.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Defensive tackle Luke Ancrum still appears far too light to really play major minutes inside. It's easy to wonder at this point if he'll ever add the size Florida's coaches thought he might when they slotted him at nose tackle.

---

I know they want Polite and CeCe to play some DT. I'd like to hear how those two look. I'm surprised there's not a new roster posted w/ updated weights/sizes.

CeCe is getting screwed having to play DT a lot. He could be a dominant DE.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

---

Polite yes, but I thought I read where they were going to leave Cece at DE.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
CeCe is getting screwed having to play DT a lot. He could be a dominant DE.
Polite yes, but I thought I read where they were going to leave Cece at DE.

They want CeCe playing both positions. He's listed at 261 and that's just not big enough for an SEC DT....even if he gets over 270 it's not big enough. I can see sliding him inside on 3rd and long to have multiple pass rushers on the field, but he should never play DT on 1st down or an obvious running down (3rd and short).

Polite is listed at 271. That's why I want to see an updated roster. If he gets to 285+ I won't have a problem w/ him playing DT. But if he's under 280 he's a SSDE, not a DT.

I'm curious to hear/see reports on Desir-Jones progress at DT also.

Hopefully Ancrum can put some weight on between now and Sep also...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

---

I know they want Polite and CeCe to play some DT.
Polite and Ancrum are 40-50 lbs away.

This is why we need to be able to pull schollies.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

Never heard of that or considered that as an option until I first read it here on the board. Do you know whether there any rules concerning that option, or whether any of the big boy schools do that as a matter of policy? I'm not asking you to research it out, btw.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Polite's gonna be what, a sophomore this year? He's already put on 20+ pounds from HS and we don't even have an updated weight for him. Don't think we should be pulling a scholarship from a guy who has a lot of potential who could easily get to where he needs to get to play the position.
Ancrum on the other hand is 3" taller and 10 pounds lighter than Polite - maybe he would be a good DE candidate? Apparently he's just one big muscle and will likely never get up to 300lbs.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Never heard of that or considered that as an option until I first read it here on the board. Do you know whether there any rules concerning that option, or whether any of the big boy schools do that as a matter of policy? I'm not asking you to research it out, btw.
Alabama seems to get away with it, they also stretch the "gray shirting" to the limit

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Many schools do this including basically all of our rivals. There's no rule against it, however, there is a UofF rule against it because our previous AD and U Pres think its unethical to pull a kids football based scholly if he isn't performing on the field. Bama and fsu do it every year and laugh at us when doing so. I'm all for doing right by the kids so if they aren't performing on the field but trying and doing well in the classroom, let them have an academic scholly or something, but the football program shouldnt be saddled with dead weight on the roster either.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Pull them for what reason. I seem to remember that we have open ones. Now if a player has issues sure they should be punished, but not just because they did not meet your or a coaches expectations. Lack of effort is a different thing.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pull them for what reason. I seem to remember that we have open ones. Now if a player has issues sure they should be punished, but not just because they did not meet your or a coaches expectations. Lack of effort is a different thing.
I disagree with your entire premise. Giving a kid a football scholarship is a privilege, not a right. If the kid can't make it on the field and positively contribute, rescinding the scholarship is not punishment. It's simply doing away with the privilege. This is no different than taking away someones food-stamps or welfare... they aren't being punished, they simply aren't getting special benefits anymore.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Polite's gonna be what, a sophomore this year? He's already put on 20+ pounds from HS and we don't even have an updated weight for him. Don't think we should be pulling a scholarship from a guy who has a lot of potential who could easily get to where he needs to get to play the position.
Ancrum on the other hand is 3" taller and 10 pounds lighter than Polite - maybe he would be a good DE candidate? Apparently he's just one big muscle and will likely never get up to 300lbs.

Polite was a true freshman, 271lb DE last year that played a lot of snaps. I'm not tossing him out. I think he'll be a starter at DT in 2018, or in the top 3/4 rotation.

Ancrum was a reach. Best bet for him is to hope he puts on weight and can play meaningful downs by the time he's a junior.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
All scholarships are annual and have to be renewed each year. So technically there is no guarantee that a player will have one for 4-5 years. The coaches offer the scholarships as a 4-5 year commitment to recruits and we wouldn't be able to recruit anyone if they were told they only had a 1 year scholarship. And if you get the reputation of "pulling" scholarships prior to that 4-5 years you're just going to make it that much tougher to recruit.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
All scholarships are annual and have to be renewed each year.
Should have stopped right here.

The coaches offer the scholarships as a 4-5 year commitment to recruits and we wouldn't be able to recruit anyone if they were told they only had a 1 year scholarship. And if you get the reputation of "pulling" scholarships prior to that 4-5 years you're just going to make it that much tougher to recruit.
You'd think so... however, most of the big boy schools we play, and all of the ones that are currently beating our azzes on the field and on signing day are doing the exact thing you're discussing. FSU and bama do this every year and have for a long time.

It's surprising how many on this board have zero knowledge of the facts regarding this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator