We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was listening to Zach and Jeff Cardozo's podcast. They spoke about what they saw. Most of this is Cardozo.

1. Franks throws a great ball. Trask throws an even better one. Everything Franks throws is velocity. Whether it is 10 yards or 30, the ball is coming out at the same speed. Trask throws with the same velocity but knows when to lead a guy, when to take something off, and just looks like a prototypical QB. Franks' mechanics are much improved. Trask clearly has an understanding of what's going on out there more than Franks. In that part, Trask is way ahead and has been ever since they both stepped on campus.

2. Cardozo said there is one glaring issue. Trask is really, really good. He doesn't know it. So when he has a bad series, it gets in his head. He doesn't play with confidence. That is what the coaches are working on with Trask. Franks doesn't have that problem. He has all the confidence in the world. When he has a bad series, he forgets it. He doesn't hang his head like Trask. Cardozo said it is so bad, in his opinion, Trask would be the clear starter if not for this one issue.

3. The differences between Brad Davis and Summers are clear. He gave an example. Apparently Tyler Jordan wasn't doing things right. Davis completely unloaded on him. Summers never, ever did that with these guys. He is your typical o-line coach. He's an angry, mean SOB.

4. Kadarius Toney. He'll never play a down at QB. It is clear the kid simply doesn't have what it takes to play the position. Still, he was promised a chance to compete. The sooner the kid figures this out the better. He is an outstanding athlete that needs to be on the field, but it won't be at QB. Cardozo said, "he's a receiver playing QB."

IMO Franks pushes the ball downfield much better than Trask. I'm constantly hearing about 50 and 70 yard completions with Franks.

To my understanding, Franks really, really struggles with the Out pass. That's a staple pass. What do they mean by struggle? I don't know. Maybe means he's not judging it right. Maybe it means he puts too much zip on it.

Franks is really good with working the middle of the field. Unfortunately the middle of the field tends to have more defenders so it probably greatly increases his risk of being picked off. He needs to be able to hit those quick outs.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Was listening to Zach and Jeff Cardozo's podcast. They spoke about what they saw. Most of this is Cardozo.

1. Franks throws a great ball. Trask throws an even better one. Everything Franks throws is velocity. Whether it is 10 yards or 30, the ball is coming out at the same speed. Trask throws with the same velocity but knows when to lead a guy, when to take something off, and just looks like a prototypical QB. Franks' mechanics are much improved. Trask clearly has an understanding of what's going on out there more than Franks. In that part, Trask is way ahead and has been ever since they both stepped on campus.

2. Cardozo said there is one glaring issue. Trask is really, really good. He doesn't know it. So when he has a bad series, it gets in his head. He doesn't play with confidence. That is what the coaches are working on with Trask. Franks doesn't have that problem. He has all the confidence in the world. When he has a bad series, he forgets it. He doesn't hang his head like Trask. Cardozo said it is so bad, in his opinion, Trask would be the clear starter if not for this one issue.

3. The differences between Brad Davis and Summers are clear. He gave an example. Apparently Tyler Jordan wasn't doing things right. Davis completely unloaded on him. Summers never, ever did that with these guys. He is your typical o-line coach. He's an angry, mean SOB.

4. Kadarius Toney. He'll never play a down at QB. It is clear the kid simply doesn't have what it takes to play the position. Still, he was promised a chance to compete. The sooner the kid figures this out the better. He is an outstanding athlete that needs to be on the field, but it won't be at QB. Cardozo said, "he's a receiver playing QB."

Thanks for typing up the notes from the podcast.

Interesting about Trask. Not really sure if he can be coached into being more confident, hopefully w/ time his confidence improves. On the other hand, having a confident QB in Franks is a good thing. Most good QBs are cocky & confident. As he learns the playbook and takes his lumps as a RS freshman, he could become a very good QB.

I like the Brad Davis hire, but I admit that I didn't like it at first. Summers needed to go and I like that the new guy is a complete 180 in coaching styles.

I'm curious how many walk-ons are out there since we only have 5 scholarship WR's participating and only 4 or so scholarship LBs this spring.

Once they start hitting I want to hear how Desir-Jones & Campbell are doing at DT.

And, dammit! They need to update the roster! I want to see sizes on some of these DL's.

Sep 29, 2015
Thanks for typing up the notes from the podcast.

Interesting about Trask. Not really sure if he can be coached into being more confident, hopefully w/ time his confidence improves.

I have a novel idea. How about playing him in an actual game so he can see that he is more than capable of leading the team? I mean, of course the kid has confidence issues when he has very little actual game experience.

Michigan game 1 complicates things. If it were our typical cupcake opener, you could give him half the snaps and let him work through it. If game confidence truly is an issue, then you probably don't want his career to begin against a tough Michigan D.

Here's the thing though. Nobody knows if he has confidence issues in-game. Maybe it is just a practice deal from drill to drill because he's harder on himself during practice. We all know Driskel had tremendous confidence in practice, the best. But that clearly didn't translate into game action. The opposite could be true of Trask.

From every comparison between the two that goes beyond a perfunctory "one is ahead of the other," Trask consistently looks like the better option. He throws the better ball. He has more control over the ball. He leads the receivers. Trask has the more natural mechanics that don't need improvement. Trask understands the playbook better (FWIW I've read where Franks has the better grasp, too).

Maybe there is a "confidence" issue, but I would hate for a single intangible favoring Franks to outweigh the host of tangibles in Trask's favor.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have a novel idea. How about playing him in an actual game so he can see that he is more than capable of leading the team? I mean, of course the kid has confidence issues when he has very little actual game experience.

Michigan game 1 complicates things. If it were our typical cupcake opener, you could give him half the snaps and let him work through it. If game confidence truly is an issue, then you probably don't want his career to begin against a tough Michigan D.

Here's the thing though. Nobody knows if he has confidence issues in-game. Maybe it is just a practice deal from drill to drill because he's harder on himself during practice. We all know Driskel had tremendous confidence in practice, the best. But that clearly didn't translate into game action. The opposite could be true of Trask.

From every comparison between the two that goes beyond a perfunctory "one is ahead of the other," Trask consistently looks like the better option. He throws the better ball. He has more control over the ball. He leads the receivers. Trask has the more natural mechanics that don't need improvement. Trask understands the playbook better (FWIW I've read where Franks has the better grasp, too).

Maybe there is a "confidence" issue, but I would hate for a single intangible favoring Franks to outweigh the host of tangibles in Trask's favor.

LHG, I get what you're saying. And, in a perfect world, I agree that he should get a look in a real game. We very likely only see one QB in the Michigan game, unless it's a blowout (either way). It's too bad we aren't opening w/ SW Kentucky Tech this year. There's still a long time between now and Sep 2nd, so I wouldn't count out Trask at all as the #1....but, hell, we could also see Del Rio win the job in fall camp. Who knows?

But, on that note of a "typical cupcake opener"...... We haven't been blowing out our "typical cupcake opener". We beat UMass 24-7 last year....and it was a 10-7 game in the FOURTH QUARTER!!! Also, when Del Rio got injured late in the 3rd quarter vs. North Texas we were struggling offensively and only led 19-0. We should have been up 30+ points on both of those teams and the entire bench should have played. This has been a problem w/ both McElwain and Muschamp: we struggle vs. our typical cupcakes (and lost a few under Muschamp: Vandy, Ga Southern). Remember the Jacksonville State game? That was a miracle. Remember the OT game vs FAU in 2015? Our offense has been so bad that we can't just say "when we blowout our cupcake we can play all of our backups". This is something that has to improve this year. It's really hurt the development of our younger talent not only on offense, but on defense as well: while we're in a dogfight vs. FAU all of our rivals are playing their 3rd team players late in the 4th quarter because they blew out the teams they were supposed to blowout.

We play Northern Colorado in Game 2 and UAB in Game 11....let's hope we beat those "cupcakes" 63-0!

Sep 29, 2015
LHG, I get what you're saying. And, in a perfect world, I agree that he should get a look in a real game. We very likely only see one QB in the Michigan game, unless it's a blowout (either way). It's too bad we aren't opening w/ SW Kentucky Tech this year. There's still a long time between now and Sep 2nd, so I wouldn't count out Trask at all as the #1....but, hell, we could also see Del Rio win the job in fall camp. Who knows?

But, on that note of a "typical cupcake opener"...... We haven't been blowing out our "typical cupcake opener". We beat UMass 24-7 last year....and it was a 10-7 game in the FOURTH QUARTER!!! Also, when Del Rio got injured late in the 3rd quarter vs. North Texas we were struggling offensively and only led 19-0. We should have been up 30+ points on both of those teams and the entire bench should have played. This has been a problem w/ both McElwain and Muschamp: we struggle vs. our typical cupcakes (and lost a few under Muschamp: Vandy, Ga Southern). Remember the Jacksonville State game? That was a miracle. Remember the OT game vs FAU in 2015? Our offense has been so bad that we can't just say "when we blowout our cupcake we can play all of our backups". This is something that has to improve this year. It's really hurt the development of our younger talent not only on offense, but on defense as well: while we're in a dogfight vs. FAU all of our rivals are playing their 3rd team players late in the 4th quarter because they blew out the teams they were supposed to blowout.

We play Northern Colorado in Game 2 and UAB in Game 11....let's hope we beat those "cupcakes" 63-0!

This is true, a good point and a really depressing read. That said, I recall being able to rotate Harris and Grier in Mac's first year during the first few games when Mac still hadn't settled on a starter. Last year was different since Mac had already anointed LDR starter before the season began. Also last year's pathetic cupcake games (at least until Kentucky) tell me there's no way in hell LDR wins this job over Kyleipe.

In any event, I expect it to be Franks because of game experience and he's the 4*, but if this report is accurate, it wouldn't surprise me if Trask was the starter by the end of year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is true, a good point and a really depressing read. That said, I recall being able to rotate Harris and Grier in Mac's first year during the first few games when Mac still hadn't settled on a starter. Last year was different since Mac had already anointed LDR starter before the season began. Also last year's pathetic cupcake games (at least until Kentucky) tell me there's no way in hell LDR wins this job over Kyleipe.

In any event, I expect it to be Franks because of game experience and he's the 4*, but if this report is accurate, it wouldn't surprise me if Trask was the starter by the end of year.
LDR doesn't have to win the job. If he's able to throw at all he'll be starting. Mac has proven he will stick with one guy until the bitter end.

Sep 29, 2015
LDR doesn't have to win the job. If he's able to throw at all he'll be starting. Mac has proven he will stick with one guy until the bitter end.

I don't buy this, but I guess we will see, because LDR will certainly be able to throw by the start of next season.

Sep 29, 2015
Honestly, what makes you think Mac WANTS to change QBs?

I have no idea what Mac thinks or wants. If I had to guess, I would say his guiding principal is the qb that gives him the best chance to win. If that means changing QBs then, yes, he would want to change QBs. LDR set the bar really low for another QB to show that he gives the gators a better chance to win. If neither Franks nor Trask can clear that bar, then LDR will start. I don't think that is likely given LDR's known limitations, especially under Mac's scheme, and the fact that he will be out for all of spring giving Kyleipe a chance to show they are better.

Why do you think he will stick with LDR regardless of whether he's the best option?

By the way, Mac didn't stick with Fred Johnson at right tackle, or either of the two centers replaced by McCoy after they came back from injury. He didn't stick with whoever was replaced by Cleveland (Fulwood? - I don'r remember). He didn't stick with Cronk as the lead back after the first year either. I just don't buy the "he's stubborn" argument.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I like sharing these tidbits. It gives us something to talk about. But let's be real. We aren't going to know anything right now. Let's say Franks pulls ahead in the spring and is clearly the guy. They won't tell us. They are going to do what they did with Grier and Harris. They are going to try to keep it a competition for as long as possible. I'll say this. I want both Trask and Franks to play well because it is likely both will play next season. Whichever one loses is the backup and a play away from getting in the game.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really hope that Trask really is close to our 4star recruit. We need a good backup.

I really hope that Franks lives up to his 4* ranking... as Trask will need a good backup... :D

AND a dislike from 'Law coming in 5...4...3...2..1...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I like sharing these tidbits. It gives us something to talk about. But let's be real. We aren't going to know anything right now. Let's say Franks pulls ahead in the spring and is clearly the guy. They won't tell us. They are going to do what they did with Grier and Harris. They are going to try to keep it a competition for as long as possible. I'll say this. I want both Trask and Franks to play well because it is likely both will play next season. Whichever one loses is the backup and a play away from getting in the game.

I agree that they won't tell us that one guy is starter after the Spring, but I do expect a starter to be named in the Fall a week or two before the Michigan game.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really hope that Franks lives up to his 4* ranking... as Trask will need a good backup... :D

AND a dislike from 'Law coming in 5...4...3...2..1...

At this point I don't care about stars... I just hope whoever wins the job is great and whoever doesn't is a very capable backup.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I agree it is a privilege but a deal that at UF is for four years unless there is a reason not to continue, and that is not just you did not meet our expectations.
Why not? Every academic scholarship is contingent on meeting certain expectations. No ones saying kick these kids out of school. Just like when losing an academic scholarship for failure to perform (maintain a 3.0 or whatever) there's nothing wrong or immoral about terminating a football scholly for failure to perform. It's not like these kids were forced to come here, they made a choice... and yet.... they can still go to school, but not on scholarship. This is no different than academic scholarship situations.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Why all the talk about pulling scholarships when we have been 5 to 8 under the limit for the last 10 years we've had spots to sign more tackles and linebackers but the staff has neglected to do so.

LOL. Why exactly would they do that? They win and we suck. Why would they follow us? What they (and everyone else) does is within the rules.

Let's review the numbers signed:
2017 Bammer 29 Butters 23
2016 Bammer 24 Butters 25
2015 Bammer 25 Butters 21
2014 Bammer 26 Chumps 24

So, Bammers signed 11 more players and they damn well weren't signing FIU or Houston Baptist crap either. Is it any wonder they beat us by 50?
I have posted 1 time in this thread, the one above and you changed every word of it to make it fit your everything sucks agenda. Please don't do this again I am completely able to make fool of myself without your interference. Besides we talkin bout spring practice not pulling scholarships.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Why not? Every academic scholarship is contingent on meeting certain expectations. No ones saying kick these kids out of school. Just like when losing an academic scholarship for failure to perform (maintain a 3.0 or whatever) there's nothing wrong or immoral about terminating a football scholly for failure to perform. It's not like these kids were forced to come here, they made a choice... and yet.... they can still go to school, but not on scholarship. This is no different than academic scholarship situations.

If you put those conditions into the agreement I would have no issue with it, the players might not sign that stuff. And without the money many could not afford school either.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have posted 1 time in this thread, the one above and you changed every word of it to make it fit your everything sucks agenda. Please don't do this again I am completely able to make fool of myself without your interference. Besides we talkin bout spring practice not pulling scholarships.

It seems like every thread gets turned into an everything/Mac sucks thread these days. It is getting old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.