We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Should have stopped right here.

You'd think so... however, most of the big boy schools we play, and all of the ones that are currently beating our azzes on the field and on signing day are doing the exact thing you're discussing. FSU and bama do this every year and have for a long time.

It's surprising how many on this board have zero knowledge of the facts regarding this issue.
I haven't heard or read a thing about it outside of GCMB, and there's not a lot of discussion about it even here. Still haven't formed an opinion.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't heard or read a thing about it outside of GCMB, and there's not a lot of discussion about it even here. Still haven't formed an opinion.
It's not something that's championed from the rooftop, and for obvious reasons, but its true nonetheless. Saban and Fisher jettison kids every year for simply failing to beat out competition or getting overshadowed by the guy who came in the following year. It's so common its regular water cooler talk in your office sports fan group. We are one of the few major football schools that don't currently do it. And I'm not saying its a great thing to do, because its not. But we can continue to pat ourselves on the back for being morally superior to fsu and bama while we continue to get bent over on the days that the college football world is actually paying attention, or we can get on board and start competing with them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Polite's gonna be what, a sophomore this year?
I thought he was a RS.

However, he was signed to play DT. So many of our "signed to grow into a DT" types seem to be allergic to the weightroom.

I guess thats why we need to sign more DTs and less projects.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not something that's championed from the rooftop, and for obvious reasons, but its true nonetheless.
Well, we did scream about our four year guarantee from the rooftop for a while, when we thought it was our plan to make all the studs to sign with us.

It was a total disaster though.

Last edited:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Why all the talk about pulling scholarships when we have been 5 to 8 under the limit for the last 10 years we've had spots to sign more tackles and linebackers but the staff has neglected to do so.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Why all the talk about pulling scholarships when we have been 5 to 8 under the limit for the last 10 years we've had spots to sign more tackles and linebackers but the staff has neglected to do so.
because we have dead weight on the staff as well as the team, that's why.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I disagree with your entire premise. Giving a kid a football scholarship is a privilege, not a right. If the kid can't make it on the field and positively contribute, rescinding the scholarship is not punishment. It's simply doing away with the privilege. This is no different than taking away someones food-stamps or welfare... they aren't being punished, they simply aren't getting special benefits anymore.

I agree it is a privilege but a deal that at UF is for four years unless there is a reason not to continue, and that is not just you did not meet our expectations. And of course what would we do with the position, just save money. Now Bama and everyone needs the same rules the ones UF uses. There are other ways to encourage people to move on.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Polite was a true freshman, 271lb DE last year that played a lot of snaps. I'm not tossing him out. I think he'll be a starter at DT in 2018, or in the top 3/4 rotation.

Ancrum was a reach. Best bet for him is to hope he puts on weight and can play meaningful downs by the time he's a junior.

And did we not have room for them? And also we did not get them either.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Pull them for what reason. I seem to remember that we have open ones. Now if a player has issues sure they should be punished, but not just because they did not meet your or a coaches expectations. Lack of effort is a different thing.
If you're awarded an academic scholarship and fail in the classroom, do you think it's honored until they graduate?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Reading between the lines it sounds like Franks is still having issues.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If you're awarded an academic scholarship and fail in the classroom, do you think it's honored until they graduate?

Quite a different think and if you fail in the classroom you get suspended or kicked out of school. We promise a full ride and it is a point of contention at the NCAA. So yes others do such, they should not and as I said there are other ways to get folks to move on. In addition not meeting your expectations is not failure. You don't get it and don't agree that is fine.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now Bama and everyone needs the same rules the ones UF uses.
LOL. Why exactly would they do that? They win and we suck. Why would they follow us? What they (and everyone else) does is within the rules.

Let's review the numbers signed:
2017 Bammer 29 Butters 23
2016 Bammer 24 Butters 25
2015 Bammer 25 Butters 21
2014 Bammer 26 Chumps 24

So, Bammers signed 11 more players and they damn well weren't signing FIU or Houston Baptist crap either. Is it any wonder they beat us by 50?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
LOL. Why exactly would they do that? They win and we suck. Why would they follow us? What they (and everyone else) does is within the rules.

Let's review the numbers signed:
2017 Bammer 29 Butters 23
2016 Bammer 24 Butters 25
2015 Bammer 25 Butters 21
2014 Bammer 26 Chumps 24

So, Bammers signed 11 more players and they damn well weren't signing FIU or Houston Baptist crap either. Is it any wonder they beat us by 50?

Because the NCAA should require it. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/...hips-reflects-players-growing-power.html?_r=0

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
My son is on an academic scholarship at Embry-Riddle and was offered academic scholarships at 2 other schools. All are tied to maintaining a certain GPA. In his case he has to keep a 3.0 at Embry-Riddle. If his total GPA falls below that at the end of each year he loses his scholarship.

Keep in mind that isn't failing and he's not on academic probation. He could continue to go there and graduate in good academic standing if we want to pay the $46k/year tab.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yeah, I remember the 70s and probation years.
Walkons do still make solid contributions in Div 2 and Div 3. Maybe some in the Sunbelt.

I think that might be Fooley's longterm plan.

I don't think Doering played in the 1970s. If no walkon makes progress in a program I suspect that means coaches are too tied up in their recruiting decisions not in who is the best player to win game.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Was listening to Zach and Jeff Cardozo's podcast. They spoke about what they saw. Most of this is Cardozo.

1. Franks throws a great ball. Trask throws an even better one. Everything Franks throws is velocity. Whether it is 10 yards or 30, the ball is coming out at the same speed. Trask throws with the same velocity but knows when to lead a guy, when to take something off, and just looks like a prototypical QB. Franks' mechanics are much improved. Trask clearly has an understanding of what's going on out there more than Franks. In that part, Trask is way ahead and has been ever since they both stepped on campus.

2. Cardozo said there is one glaring issue. Trask is really, really good. He doesn't know it. So when he has a bad series, it gets in his head. He doesn't play with confidence. That is what the coaches are working on with Trask. Franks doesn't have that problem. He has all the confidence in the world. When he has a bad series, he forgets it. He doesn't hang his head like Trask. Cardozo said it is so bad, in his opinion, Trask would be the clear starter if not for this one issue.

3. The differences between Brad Davis and Summers are clear. He gave an example. Apparently Tyler Jordan wasn't doing things right. Davis completely unloaded on him. Summers never, ever did that with these guys. He is your typical o-line coach. He's an angry, mean SOB.

4. Kadarius Toney. He'll never play a down at QB. It is clear the kid simply doesn't have what it takes to play the position. Still, he was promised a chance to compete. The sooner the kid figures this out the better. He is an outstanding athlete that needs to be on the field, but it won't be at QB. Cardozo said, "he's a receiver playing QB."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.