Wednesday Worsts…dying services

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What is a service that was relevant at least in the last 10 years but is now dying out?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
dry cleaners

Just picked up a dress from the dry cleaners. It was almost $12 and I’m thinking I could have done the same thing at home with the fancy washer/dryer or some spray and a steamer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Cable tv providers. Hard line telephone networks. Newspapers. Public school systems. Border security. Mainstream media.

That covers the main ones anyway.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Travel Agencies
I miss the ladies at your employers travel service... mainly I miss the corporate pricing and the ability to call the number any time of day or night and say, "I don't care where you have to fly me first... JUST GET ME THE F OUTTA PAKISTAN, NOW!!!!" :lol:

On a serious note, how the F is that "Holbrook Travel" still open in Gainesville? I suspect money laundering, bigly!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I miss the ladies at your employers travel service... mainly I miss the corporate pricing and the ability to call the number any time of day or night and say, "I don't care where you have to fly me first... JUST GET ME THE F OUTTA PAKISTAN, NOW!!!!" :lol:

On a serious note, how the F is that "Holbrook Travel" still open in Gainesville? I suspect money laundering, bigly!

You know I can still use them....

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Travel Agencies
Someone gifted me a AAA subscription so I decided to check them out for our Costa Rica trip in 2021. It was a total joke. The guy handed me a brochure of places, told me to take it home and decide on locations and come back later. The internet definitely took out travel agencies.

We’ve used Costco Travel a couple of times and they are worth it, imo.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I used to work with a guy who position regularly had him traveling to Laredo. After getting stuck there because of various cancellations one too many times, he started flying into San Antonio and renting a car and driving the 150+ miles to Laredo. That way as soon as his work was finished he could leave town and if he got a cancellation, at least he was stuck in a better place. One time he even drove out of Laredo during a tornado warning, figuring it was worth the risk.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I used to work with a guy who position regularly had him traveling to Laredo. After getting stuck there because of various cancellations one too many times, he started flying into San Antonio and renting a car and driving the 150+ miles to Laredo. That way as soon as his work was finished he could leave town and if he got a cancellation, at least he was stuck in a better place. One time he even drove out of Laredo during a tornado warning, figuring it was worth the risk.

I used to do similar things.
Flying in/out of a second tier airport is always risky but traveling in/out of a third tier airport is purely insane unless you have a lot of free time on your hands.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I used to do similar things.
Flying in/out of a second tier airport is always risky but traveling in/out of a third tier airport is purely insane unless you have a lot of free time on your hands.
Where does "Karachi" fit in on that scale of tiers?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Where does "Karachi" fit in on that scale of tiers?
Gps Drought GIF by EarthScope Consortium

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How about careers we thought were dead making a comeback?

I mean, look at piracy. We thought that was ancient history but it's a growing field with bright future. Couple of years ago, it was a few Somalis in a rubber dinghy with a couple of AKs. Now you've got Houthis storming the ship from a helicopter. I'll admit this modern iteration of the swashbuckler of old isn't nearly as glamorous. No peg-legs, no hooks, no parrots, and worst of all, no "Arr". Regardless, murder and mayhem on the high seas is back with a vengeance!
iu

How about mustache wax manufacturing? Never though we'd see mustache wax again after they deposed the Kaiser. Then, hipsters happened. Shaped, twisted, and WAXED mustaches are making a comeback in shapes and styles so wild they would make Hercule Poirot blush.
iu

Then there's the slave trade. Looked like a real dead-end job after the Emancipation Proclamation, amirite? Well, thanks to "modern" Islam, "middle ages" slavery is making an unexpected comeback. Whether for labor or for sex (or both), whatever your taste in age or gender, the Islamic State slave markets have something for you!
iu

Alex.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How about careers we thought were dead making a comeback?

I mean, look at piracy. We thought that was ancient history but it's a growing field with bright future. Couple of years ago, it was a few Somalis in a rubber dinghy with a couple of AKs. Now you've got Houthis storming the ship from a helicopter. I'll admit this modern iteration of the swashbuckler of old isn't nearly as glamorous. No peg-legs, no hooks, no parrots, and worst of all, no "Arr". Regardless, murder and mayhem on the high seas is back with a vengeance!
iu

How about mustache wax manufacturing? Never though we'd see mustache wax again after they deposed the Kaiser. Then, hipsters happened. Shaped, twisted, and WAXED mustaches are making a comeback in shapes and styles so wild they would make Hercule Poirot blush.
iu

Then there's the slave trade. Looked like a real dead-end job after the Emancipation Proclamation, amirite? Well, thanks to "modern" Islam, "middle ages" slavery is making an unexpected comeback. Whether for labor or for sex (or both), whatever your taste in age or gender, the Islamic State slave markets have something for you!
iu

Alex.
Sex work had largely gone underground and was generally frowned upon.

Then along came only fans and now everybody's a whore :lol:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My side job as a pinball machine repairman is booming.

Actually...

My old boss loved pinball machines. He collected them...lots of them. There's only a few guys that repair and refurbish them (replace the lights, new rubber on the bumpers, new glass, etc.).

His guy was in Pennsylvania and made damn good money fixing those machines for collectors or for resale.

Outside my office right now, I have a Game of Thrones, a 6 Million Dollar Man, a Star Trek TNG, and a generic "Spring Break" pinball machine. I think he told me his most valuable was a vintage Addams Family or a vintage Playboy machine.

It's kinda cool playing pin ball. I'm terrible at it, but it brings back the nostalgia of being on the Boardwalk in Daytona, foot long hotdogs, cotton candy, dangerous sexual predators, soft serve cones, pizza by the slice, and pinball machines.

iu

iu

Alex.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member