Wednesday worsts…movies/shows vs reality

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The amount of time it actually takes to remodel a house/kitchen/bathroom/deck.

Thirty minutes just isn’t enough time. :shakehead:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Movies:
Point Break—not an accurate depiction of the 80s/90s surf scene.

Boiler Room—see above.

Both embellished quite a bit to make it Hollywood.

As for shows, Friends may be the most egregious. The space size of the place is ridiculous. And the rent in an apartment of that size in the Village is probably between 5-6k monthly. Rachel was a part time waitress.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Any movie or show purporting to show our legal and/or court systems in action, with the exception of My Cousin Vinny (the screenplay of which was written by an actual trial attorney). They are grossly inaccurate, to the point I can't even watch them.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Any movie or show purporting to show our legal and/or court systems in action, with the exception of My Cousin Vinny (the screenplay of which was written by an actual trial attorney). They are grossly inaccurate, to the point I can't even watch them.

Not true. People always get arrested, go to trial and get sentenced in 2 weeks max time. If they get the death penalty it might another few weeks before they actually die. :shakehead:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Any scene with a "hacker" that is "in the zone"... typically with multiple monitors, hands flying on the keyboard, and screen fulls of digits scrolling down at a ridiculous speed... oh, and throw in "cool hacker" music.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Any scene with a "hacker" that is "in the zone"... typically with multiple monitors, hands flying on the keyboard, and screen fulls of digits scrolling down at a ridiculous speed... oh, and throw in "cool hacker" music.

Ha, you just described Seedy EVERY DAMN DAY! I'm sorry but that looks like actual video of him. Except the dancing. :bwahaha:
One of the monitors always has Twitch streaming someone fishing or playing WOW.
Great movie, BTW

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ha, you just described Seedy EVERY DAMN DAY! I'm sorry but that looks like actual video of him. Except the dancing. :bwahaha:
One of the monitors always has Twitch streaming someone fishing or playing WOW.
Great movie, BTW
It's also Son #2, but one screen will have some livestream of a Super Smash Bros tournament (or some schit like that). :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I know, right? I mean, it's as retarded as people watching football games! :lol: He does actually play, even in tournaments, it's his "veg out" thing.
That’s exactly the analogy the kids used on me when I asked them why they watched other people play. :headslap:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I've never understood why people like to watch other people play video games.
UF has spawned some "elite" gamers, almost all of them engineers. There was one Mechanical Engineer years ago that was a top WSOP player, and the #1 Super Smash Bros Melee player in the world from 2017-2020 (still top 5) is a 2014 UF grad in Chem Engineering.

Before people laugh, in addition to his tournament winnings over the years, that Gator earns an estimated $16.5K a month on Twitch... for gaming... and Melee is an old assed GameCube game, not something new.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The housing to income ration in basically everything. There are really only two shows that I watched where the housing made sense and they actually outlined the struggles that most families go through. The Middle & Roseanne, I'm sure I'm missing some but those come to mind. Those shows actually showed people struggling to pay bills, the tricks to time things correctly in your payments, odd things you do to get by, etc. You watch tv and you think everyone is millionaires.

Think about it. Friends had a waitress and for the first 3 seasons a constantly out of work chef afford that giant New York Apartment. Married with Children had a shoe salesman afford a 2000+ SF house in Chicago. 2 Broke Girls had a horse, do you know how much it costs to feed a horse.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The housing to income ration in basically everything. There are really only two shows that I watched where the housing made sense and they actually outlined the struggles that most families go through. The Middle & Roseanne, I'm sure I'm missing some but those come to mind. Those shows actually showed people struggling to pay bills, the tricks to time things correctly in your payments, odd things you do to get by, etc. You watch tv and you think everyone is millionaires.

Think about it. Friends had a waitress and for the first 3 seasons a constantly out of work chef afford that giant New York Apartment. Married with Children had a shoe salesman afford a 2000+ SF house in Chicago. 2 Broke Girls had a horse, do you know how much it costs to feed a horse.
IN THE CITY!!!!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Most every cop show (and movie) - though Hill Street Blues and Barney Miller were pretty close.

Every show about a PI. (Can't blame the producer/writers for that one though; how often would people watch a show about guys following around cheating spouses and workman's comp defrauders?)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
When 1 good guy fights 5 bad guys they all come at him one at a time and they wait their turn to fight.

A person walks into a bar and orders a whiskey or beer and they never ask what kind.

Woman wakes up in the morning looking perfect with full makeup still on and ready to make love.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator