Wednesday worsts…movies/shows vs reality

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Hurt Locker just made me angry, mainly because it was so celebrated.

The ironic part was that it was celebrated for being "apolitical" and "just showing the day to day life of a specialized unit overseas."

Unfortunately, they neglected to have ANY level of military consulting on it.

I remember it coming out right on DVD when I was in law school and people asking me "is that what it's really like?" "Fuch no." "Wait, thought you'd like it, what's wrong?" "Everything. I can count what's accurate on one hand."

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The ironic part was that it was celebrated for being "apolitical" and "just showing the day to day life of a specialized unit overseas."

Unfortunately, they neglected to have ANY level of military consulting on it.

I remember it coming out right on DVD when I was in law school and people asking me "is that what it's really like?" "Fuch no." "Wait, thought you'd like it, what's wrong?" "Everything. I can count what's accurate on one hand."
The part that annoyed me the most was how he continually jeopardized his guys, let alone his "lone wolf" schit.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The part that annoyed me the most was how he continually jeopardized his guys, let alone his "lone wolf" schit.

That.

But the entire premise of the movie was laughably fictitious to begin with. EOD techs don't get near an IED unless a quarter-mile radius is cleared. Ok, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea: you go door to door for several blocks, at a minimum, and get everyone out of the buildings. There are no people watching from rooftops all around while a handful of guys nervously watch them through their scopes. That's literally 2/3rds of the drama and tension in the movie.

I remember people being shocked when I told them that and asking if we got any resistance to the fact people needed to leave their house--to which I'd reply "if I told you there's a bomb across the street...are you going to sit around and watch it go off from your window?" :confused:

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The housing to income ration in basically everything. There are really only two shows that I watched where the housing made sense and they actually outlined the struggles that most families go through. The Middle & Roseanne, I'm sure I'm missing some but those come to mind. Those shows actually showed people struggling to pay bills, the tricks to time things correctly in your payments, odd things you do to get by, etc. You watch tv and you think everyone is millionaires.

Think about it. Friends had a waitress and for the first 3 seasons a constantly out of work chef afford that giant New York Apartment. Married with Children had a shoe salesman afford a 2000+ SF house in Chicago. 2 Broke Girls had a horse, do you know how much it costs to feed a horse.

Rent control!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.