Wednesday Worsts....80's Bands

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fcuk all y'all.

I would give a dislike to every post in this ill-conceived thread.

The 80s were fun. The music was fun. It was a better time.

Reagan was in the White House. The economy was booming but cars and homes were still affordable. Race relations were better. Movies were better. Men wore suits and ties. Teachers weren't woke. We were the good guys and the Soviets were the bad guys. Pluto was still a planet. Our military was all about killing people and breaking things. We had MTV and we didn't have social media. It was "Almost Paradise" (see what I did there?)

We didn't listen to one kind of music in the 80s. We listened to new wave, pop, rap, country, metal, all of it.

Those songs were played at your homecoming, at your prom, and on your car radio when you were making out with your girl and trying to slip her bra off.

Do not come for the 80s.

iu

You wanna hate on something? Let's hate on the boy-band era, or let's hate on the sh!tty state of modern hip hop.

Alex.

There’s a lot of truth to this. And on behalf of all other 90s kids, I will apologize for the boy band era. We never wanted or envisioned that such a thing could happen during what had otherwise been such a tremendous era of music. But it did happen, and it was on our watch.

Now, to be fair, we did take certain steps to make amends by imploding those bands from within. Several gave up music altogether, and have turned to acting. At least one became an occasional gay cohost on Bravo, and I think they took out one of the Carters with hard drugs.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There’s a lot of truth to this. And on behalf of all other 90s kids, I will apologize for the boy band era. We never wanted or envisioned that such a thing could happen during what had otherwise been such a tremendous era of music. But it did happen, and it was on our watch.

Now, to be fair, we did take certain steps to make amends by imploding those bands from within. Several gave up music altogether, and have turned to acting. At least one became an occasional gay cohost on Bravo, and I think they took out one of the Carters with hard drugs.
We also blame you for O-Town and extending the suck to the 2000s.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We also blame you for O-Town and extending the suck to the 2000s.

The 2000s suckage stands on its own. Once they started allowing frosted-tipped Canadians to infiltrate it was going to take an ICE-like effort to round them up and send them back. Instead, we welcomed them “with arms wide open” and let them move in 3 doors down. Another period that warrants some legal action.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wham…hands down. In fact, I’d gladly go back in time to tell all the pretty and impressionable girls who went crazy over George Michael “Wait! It’s not at all what you think!”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bon Jovi, we have been suffering from their **** for 4 decades...

I kinda almost felt bad for some of those hair bands that tried a crack at the mid-90s when the world had collectively given them the finger. Bon Jovi was one of those bands who released this at a time when Offspring, Pumpkins, Weezer, Nirvana and Greenday were dominating the scene. This video came to mind, but I’d forgotten just how horrific this song was until I played a few minutes. Think the Spanish girl mesmerized me and I never really paid attention. A bit trampy, yes. But I remember being absolutely in love with her at 14.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

90's kids as well and while the grunge/alternative portion and some of the early Rap before it became gibberish is still my go to for the soul, I feel a lot of the music from the 90's didn't age as well as some of the stuff that came out of the 80's (much like movies, tv and other things). I'm still discovering stuff that I missed because of how young I was during the first decade of my life from the music scene.

That being said while yes a lot of hair metal is crap, there is also a lot of hair metal that was really freaking good. Such a contrast from the grunge scene and depends on what mood you are in. Hair metal is all about partying and getting laid which can be a nice pick me up from time to time.

It amazes me how in the 90's and 00's how much people liked to crap on the 80's but now most everyone looks back on it so fondly.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
90's kids as well and while the grunge/alternative portion and some of the early Rap before it became gibberish is still my go to for the soul, I feel a lot of the music from the 90's didn't age as well as some of the stuff that came out of the 80's (much like movies, tv and other things). I'm still discovering stuff that I missed because of how young I was during the first decade of my life from the music scene.

That being said while yes a lot of hair metal is crap, there is also a lot of hair metal that was really freaking good. Such a contrast from the grunge scene and depends on what mood you are in. Hair metal is all about partying and getting laid which can be a nice pick me up from time to time.

It amazes me how in the 90's and 00's how much people liked to crap on the 80's but now most everyone looks back on it so fondly.

That’s a really great point about it aging better than some of the other decades. I made the comment a few weeks back that modern movies, especially kids-ish movies have done a great job of either using the originals or doing covers of some of the 80s/90s stuff. In contrast, it doesn’t seem like some of the 90s did as well over time. I get a few minutes into a lot of 311 and struggle to take it seriously. Similar with Sublime.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hair metal is all about partying and getting laid which can be a nice pick me up from time to time.
BIngo.

90s and 2000s music were ****, with very few exceptions. It isnt played much now and wont be played at all soon. Good luck tuning past the classic rock and metal stations to find some 90s slit your wrists grunge.

Back to the topic: REO Speedwagon can rot in hell.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The 2000s suckage stands on its own. Once they started allowing frosted-tipped Canadians to infiltrate it was going to take an ICE-like effort to round them up and send them back. Instead, we welcomed them “with arms wide open” and let them move in 3 doors down. Another period that warrants some legal action.
If they gave me a nickel, I'd give it back. :grin:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I know that when the 80’s bands are mentioned, country music bands are not top of mind.
But…
Throughout the history of country music, there really weren’t many bands per se. There were personalities that fronted the bands (e.g. Ernest Tubb, Hanks Sr., Haggard, Waylon, Willie, Porter and Dolly, Buck and George) but very little bands in and of themselves (not counting Bluegrass).

Some would say that the Statler Brothers or the Oak Ridge Boys might count but those grew out of the southern gospel quartet genre and had backing bands.

It wasn’t really until the eighties that the ‘Country Band’ rose to prominence, mainly due to Alabama. Then you had an onslaught of bands like Restless Heart, Sawyer Brown, Desert Rose band, Exile and Shenandoah, etc.

And for the most part - None of them sucked.
That of course is a matter of opinion but I’m wracking my brain trying to think of some bad groups in the eighties and none really come to mind.

Overall, the eighties were a phenomenal time for country bands.
Fast forward to the 00’s and forward-
…what the hell, country music?? I don’t even know who you are anymore.
Can we get a go fund me to eliminate Florida Georgia Line?
I will say that there are quite a few artists on the Yellowstone soundtrack that kick ass.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I know that when the 80’s bands are mentioned, country music bands are not top of mind.
But…
Throughout the history of country music, there really weren’t many bands per se. There were personalities that fronted the bands (e.g. Ernest Tubb, Hanks Sr., Haggard, Waylon, Willie, Porter and Dolly, Buck and George) but very little bands in and of themselves (not counting Bluegrass).

Some would say that the Statler Brothers or the Oak Ridge Boys might count but those grew out of the southern gospel quartet genre and had backing bands.

It wasn’t really until the eighties that the ‘Country Band’ rose to prominence, mainly due to Alabama. Then you had an onslaught of bands like Restless Heart, Sawyer Brown, Desert Rose band, Exile and Shenandoah, etc.

And for the most part - None of them sucked.
That of course is a matter of opinion but I’m wracking my brain trying to think of some bad groups in the eighties and none really come to mind.

Overall, the eighties were a phenomenal time for country bands.
Fast forward to the 00’s and forward-
…what the hell, country music?? I don’t even know who you are anymore.
Can we get a go fund me to eliminate Florida Georgia Line?
I will say that there are quite a few artists on the Yellowstone soundtrack that kick ass.
Ive listened to country music for most of my life, since dad played Johnny Paycheck on an 8track in his truck when I was five. But after the total chit fest of the last 5 to 10 years, I have completely stopped listening. What Nashville is trotting out has absolutely nothing to do with country music. When Beyonce can release a "country" album you know it's trash. Then you've got freak shows like Jelly Roll and no-talent-azzclowns like Jason Aldean and Lil Nas X and smug smarmy bitches like Kacey Musgraves.

Nope. Haven't listened to their garbage in years. I have all the country music I need on Willie's Roadhouse and classic country channels on Sirius/XM.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
That’s a really great point about it aging better than some of the other decades. I made the comment a few weeks back that modern movies, especially kids-ish movies have done a great job of either using the originals or doing covers of some of the 80s/90s stuff. In contrast, it doesn’t seem like some of the 90s did as well over time. I get a few minutes into a lot of 311 and struggle to take it seriously. Similar with Sublime.
My 11 year old is starting to care about music and placement of bands like GNR and Beastie Boys in movies has peaked his interest in some good stuff. They will come on the radio and he turns them up now.

As for Sublime your first mistake was listening to it to begin with. I think you have to have frosted tips to enjoy 311.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My 11 year old is starting to care about music and placement of bands like GNR and Beastie Boys in movies has peaked his interest in some good stuff. They will come on the radio and he turns them up now.

As for Sublime your first mistake was listening to it to begin with. I think you have to have frosted tips to enjoy 311.

Watch a Sublime video and you’d swear they were from Jax Beach or Putnam county. Still liked some of their reggae and punk stuff. But I’ve never seen a band release the worst of their albums the way they did. All their “hits” are terrible.

As for 311, yeah 16-18 years old. All I got. It was, and still is, a unique sound though.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Watch a Sublime video and you’d swear they were from Jax Beach or Putnam county. Still liked some of their reggae and punk stuff. But I’ve never seen a band release the worst of their albums the way they did. All their “hits” are terrible.

As for 311, yeah 16-18 years old. All I got. It was, and still is, a unique sound though.
Buddy, I gotta stop ya right there...

Friends don't let friends say "311" (and "Sublime" for that matter) that many times in a 24 hour period without intervening... yer startin' to sound like the friend we all know is ghey, but is always saying, "Whaaaaaaat?!?!?! I'm not ghey!"... sure buddy, sure...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Buddy, I gotta stop ya right there...?

Friends don't let friends say "311" (and "Sublime" for that matter) that many times in a 24 hour period without intervening... yer startin' to sound like the friend we all know is ghey, but is always saying, "Whaaaaaaat?!?!?! I'm not ghey!"... sure buddy, sure...

really, nickelback is speaking like this..... while what you say is true, and not a surprise for Sofla....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator