Wednesday Worsts...Misunderstood Lyrics

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
There are lots of songs out there with misunderstood lyrics. What's the worst you've heard or even thought a song said?

When I was in HS I was with a a friend of mine driving around in his Jeep and we were playing songs from the Beatles when Paperback Writer comes on. He sings "take the back right turn" instead of paperback writer. I'll never hear it the same again.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I remember as a kid riding around in my parents 1976 Ford Granada hearing The Bee Gees sing “More Than a Woman” thinking they were singing, “Four Letter Woman.” I thought she must have been one mean b!tch.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Big ole jet had a light on

Wrapped up like a douche another runner in the night

Maybe I'm just like my mother, she never sat inside

Alex.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rick Derringer wrote and performed “Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo” and there’s a line “Come a little closer going to do it with you.”

Most people thought it was “come on little pu$$y going to do it to you.”
It became so prevalent that Derringer changed the lyrics to the mistake in all of his concerts.

Not sure any other performer ever changed the lyrics this way

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember as a kid riding around in my parents 1976 Ford Granada hearing the Doobie Brothers sing “More Than a Woman” thinking they were singing, “Four Letter Woman.” I thought she must have been one mean b!tch.

I don’t believe that was a Doobie Brothers song.

The artist was quite different, The Bee Gees.

I unfortunately had to live through the dark period in American history known as the disco era.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I don’t believe that was a Doobie Brothers song.

The artist was quite different, The Bee Gees.

I unfortunately had to live through the dark period in American history known as the disco era.
You are absolutely correct. Absolutely hated that time period.

Surprised that post went that long before being corrected.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In the 80’s I had a buddy that was infatuated with the Go-Go’s. When “ Our Lips Are Sealed” came out on the radio, he asked me “who is Alex Arcia (sp)?” Forty years later that still comes up when he’s back in town.

While we’re at it, what exactly did Steve Miller have in mind when he sang about “the ‘pompetus’ of love?”

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Stop dragging my…
Stop dragging my…
Stop dragging my dog around.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Manfred Mann's Blinded by the lights....wrapped up like a doosh another boner in the night

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Blinded by the Light is probably the hands down winner. But I’ll add In the Meantime by Spacehog and Creep, Karma Police, and pretty much anything else from Radiohead. I’m really bad at understanding lyrics in general, but I still have no idea what much of those songs actually say.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
In the 80’s I had a buddy that was infatuated with the Go-Go’s. When “ Our Lips Are Sealed” came out on the radio, he asked me “who is Alex Arcia (sp)?” Forty years later that still comes up when he’s back in town.

While we’re at it, what exactly did Steve Miller have in mind when he sang about “the ‘pompetus’ of love?”

He thought he was dang good at lovin!

Noun. pompatus. (nonce word) One who is pompous or splendid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.